Author Topic: W. M. Alexander's Sopwith Triplane 'Black Prince'  (Read 19419 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: W. M. Alexander's Sopwith Triplane 'Black Prince'
« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2013, 10:29:22 AM »
Chris, The rigging continues to impress! I am also a lot more clear on where some of those wires go now than I was before, so thanks! I think about the DR1 and wonder, why all of those support wires  :-X
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2013, 01:02:13 PM »
 :) Because the thick cantilever wings on the Dr.1 made bracing wires unnecessary. The prototype didn't even have outboard struts! Quite a concept at the time...

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2013, 11:16:32 PM »
Chris, The rigging continues to impress! I am also a lot more clear on where some of those wires go now than I was before, so thanks!

I wasn't sure where the bracing line below attached to the bottom of the fuselage so I discussed it with Dave Wilson who was ahead of me in his build. The image he passed along seems to show it terminating on that little nub protruding from the bottom of the fuselage so that's where I put it.

I ran both the leading and trailing bracing lines as a single lengths of line from one fuselage locating point to the other, tensioning and gluing each segment where it passed through the tail and fin.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #138 on: May 18, 2013, 01:31:32 AM »
I've taken 'Black Prince' as far as I can so I'm going to close out this build thread with a final shot as she looks now.

For those interested, I'll be showing more images of her over in the 'Completed Models' section.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #139 on: May 18, 2013, 02:47:52 AM »
Congratulations, Chris!  She's a stunner.  I'm heading over to Completed Models, now.
Cheers,
Bud
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 03:53:02 PM by coyotemagic »
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #140 on: May 18, 2013, 08:15:36 AM »
Really nice job, Chris.  Thanks for sharing the build with us.
Congratulations on a quality model.

Best Regards,
Ernie
The new old guy, take two...

Offline mgunns

« Reply #141 on: May 18, 2013, 08:49:01 AM »
Hello Chris:

In a word:  "SWEET!"  I have this and the Roden kit with the coveted corrected fuselage and they both will become part of my "Sopwith Collection".  Yours is truly outstanding.
Now, if I can only find some USMC markings for it.  Where did I put those.........?  HMMMMMMMM! :o
Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #142 on: May 18, 2013, 10:36:01 AM »
Great work using a number of techniques. Glad it all worked out!!!

Steve

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #143 on: May 18, 2013, 01:09:05 PM »
Chris,
A beautiful build all around! If mine is Half as good I will be pleased! Thanks for paving the way!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #144 on: May 18, 2013, 01:36:46 PM »
Great Job Chris!  A very fine tripe.  You really nailed the color and weathering!  The rigging work is very crisp as well.  Beautiful! ;D

Wow.  A drama-free build!  I think you've got the hang of  it. ;)  Well done.

Regards,

Bob

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #145 on: May 19, 2013, 02:18:17 AM »
Well done, Chris. Glad to see that you've got this one in the bag. Excellent work all 'round! ;)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Pup Cam

« Reply #146 on: May 20, 2013, 05:39:33 AM »
A superb model of a lovely aeroplane Chris, very nice indeed.

I wasn't sure where the bracing line below attached to the bottom of the fuselage so I discussed it with Dave Wilson who was ahead of me in his build.

For your interest .....

The lower bracing attaches to the bottom of the rear tailplane spare attachment tube.   This tube is free to slide up and down changing the incidence of the tailplane for aircraft trimming purposes as it does so.    The tube includes a worm thread in its centre section which meshes with one that it is free to rotate but not move vertically contained in the "bottle" that you can see between the upper and lower longerons.   This is rotated via a looped cable driven by the large handwheel on the starboard side of the cockpit.  So, rotating the handwheel causes the tube to move up and down and with it the tailplane thus adjusting the aircraft trim.   The important thing to note is that the rear bracing is mounted to the tube and not directly to the airframe so that the bracing tension remains correct as the tailplane moves.

Fascinating things these aeroplanes!

It's not an issue for your model of course,  it's just that I was thinking of making a working  trim adjuster on my 1/3 scale version at one point but decided that was a step too far!

Alan

« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 05:41:47 AM by Pup Cam »