Author Topic: 1/32 Roden Nieuport 28C- Wrapping twinned wires  (Read 14253 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: 1/32 Roden Nieuport 28C- Wings on
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2014, 04:16:49 AM »
Beautiful job with the slats, Dal, and the rigging looks nice and straight and tight.  Very impressive.  Once you recover, I think you fully grasp what a remarkable thing you've done, mate.  Congratulations on slaying the dragon.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2014, 01:13:45 PM »
The double lines look mighty fine, Dal. It was all worth the efforts!

I agree completely! Very nice results. My other method I thought about was wrapping decal over the wires. What do you think?
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline petrov27

« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2014, 11:12:16 PM »
I agree completely! Very nice results. My other method I thought about was wrapping decal over the wires. What do you think?
RAGIII

I was thinking this as well in reviewing the WNW Salmson....
-Patrick

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2014, 11:16:20 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, everyone.  It wasn't really a dragon, Bud, but rather some silly mistakes and a little impatience at times.

Rick,
My other method I thought about was wrapping decal over the wires. What do you think?

That's a bloody good idea!  The film should be thin enough to wrap well.  Would the decal shrink, though, as it dries (as they sometimes do)?

I may do some experimenting again, to see what happens.

Cheers.

Dal.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2014, 11:31:08 PM »
It is an interesting idea indeed. I was thinking of something of a hybrid between these two approaches -- thin stiffener (perhaps styrene or PE) between the cables, wrapped with decal to hold it together, very much analogous to the original if I am not mistake.

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #110 on: January 26, 2014, 10:16:51 AM »
Rick and Bo, I did some experimenting this week, using decal strips over twin mono' and also mono' with a slat, as you suggested, Bo.

It's a very fiddly way to do it and I couldn't manage to wrap one 50mm length, mainly because the decal would tear.  Using short lengths (~20mm) would probably work better than the 40mm I tried.  I was using clear "Experts Choice" decal cut into 5mm strips.

Two other problems I found:

1.  As the decal dried it pulled the mono'.  Even under tension (heavy tweezers pulling the twin mono' strand at either end- about the normal tension I use when rigging) the spacing varied and the run looked like a sea scape, rather than being nice and flat.  Using a decal setting solution just exacerbated the problem (and caused some of the film to break as it dried).

2.  Using a strip of styrene took care of the above problems at first, but the edge of the styrene acts like a knife and the decal tore along most of the run.  Trying to bevel the edge of the styrene just produced a sharper knife edge.

Also, when the decal had dried there was no really visible "wrap effect".  However, using coloured decal or painting the finished wrap may change that.  The decal film I used was very clear and thin, so hard to see as it was (which is exactly what we want in a decal's film  :D )

Now this was a very quick-and-dirty experiment.  Using thicker decal film, shorter lengths and perhaps finding a way to glue the styrene strip between the lengths of mono' may work better.  And that would make the Salmson look very nice indeed.

Has anyone else tried a method they like?

Des, would it be better to start a separate thread on wrapping twin wire runs?

Cheers.

Dal.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: 1/32 Roden Nieuport 28C- Wrapping twinned wires
« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2014, 10:40:07 AM »
Dal - you could start a topic in the hints and Tips board explaining your technique, this will be of interest to many members.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Dal Gavan

Re: 1/32 Roden Nieuport 28C- Wrapping twinned wires
« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2014, 08:50:32 PM »
WILCO, Des.