Author Topic: Hasegawa 1:16 Sopwith Camel set for June Release!  (Read 5033 times)

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
Hasegawa 1:16 Sopwith Camel set for June Release!
« on: May 10, 2013, 12:11:29 PM »
This looks, just, wow:

http://www.hlj.com/product/HSGMU-01/Air

And you know, for $119 USD, it's right there with a bigger WnW kit. And you don't have to worry if you PC-12 looks correct!

Lindsay

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: Hasegawa 1:16 Sopwith Camel set for June Release!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 12:18:42 PM »
  Lindsay,
Now that's very very tempting my old friend. Even more so if Hasegawa had kept the wood.Thanks for sharing the news.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline LindsayT

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 12:27:38 PM »
Gotta agree with you, Gregory. I liked the wood, too. I would think that a modeller's wood grain technique could really make or break this one.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 12:29:47 PM »
That looks very tempting, but it is an injection moulded kit, no wood, so the modelers wood grain techniques would come into play here. The detail appears to be fairly good but without actually seeing one first hand it is hard to pass judgement. The price seems very good for a large injection moulded kit.

Des.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 12:31:31 PM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 12:36:31 PM »
Looks interesting, Where can I get a couple of feet of "Renwalls Aeroskin"  :o
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline LindsayT

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 12:48:38 PM »
The detail appears to be fairly good but without actually seeing one first hand it is hard to pass judgement.

Well if a guy were to lift his skirt just so...maybe you could come across a review kit. This would be perfect for your skills at getting the Factory Fresh Finish look, Des.

LT

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 02:08:36 PM »
Looks interesting, Where can I get a couple of feet of "Renwalls Aeroskin"  :o
RAGIII

Rick,
LOL I wonder how many here remember those Aeroskin kits. Always thought they had a good idea just didn't work well in practice. I may still have a SPAD XIII packed away somewhere come to think of it.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 03:39:11 PM »
Heres a few shots.

http://wwimodeller.co.nz/tag/hasegawa-116-sopwith-camel-f-1-museum-model/

My opinions rather *sitting on the fence*  I don't have much Camel Reference but the fuel tank looks different to what pics I have. Detail looks a tad simplified but the price will of course be the big decider A real AMS frenzy and some real meat for the Aftermarket guys to get their teeth into.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 04:07:39 PM »
   Keith,
I hadn't noticed the main fuel tank until you mentioned it. I believe you're right,the tank looks as if it's been over pressured compared to the photos of the tank shown in my references.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 07:05:48 PM »
The chief appeal for this kit, I suspect, will be for someone for whom the Camel is their all time favourite WW1 aircraft and they want to make it the centrepiece of their display area or hobby room.

Unless Hasegawa plans more in this scale it could be somewhat of an orphan model- neither one scale nor another. The price compared with other current Hasegawa prices, is surprisingly low which suggests Hasegawa knows they may have a fight to get sales for this oddity.

Revell learned years back that oddball scales don't appeal unless there's a collection in that scale. The Revell 1/28th Camel, Dr.1, Spad and (years later) Fokker D.VII sold okay but these four were as far as you could take a 1/28th collection.

Roden and Wingnuts and others have given us a glittering assortment of 1./32 scale high quality WW1 kits and while the Hasegawa Camel looks very interesting, I suspect its appeal may be more limited than we think. Hasegawa's museum standard 1/8th scale Camel, SE5a etc way back in the past were pricey and thus out of most modeller's pockets. I would have preferred them to give us a range of 1/32 scale WW1 subjects or 1/48th.

Sadly my first reaction on seeing the Camel images was "Where would I put it?" The same reason I don't have a Wingnuts Gotha - yet ( though resistance is weakening!) :)

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Rizzo

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 07:21:58 PM »
Well it's not quite the scaled down version of their 1/8 model that I was expecting, but it's much cheaper than I thought it would be and looks like it'll be a nice model to have. I'd be tempted to add real wood to it though, might be a fun way to customise the model.

About the fuel tank- the bulged sides look ok to me, but every model kit I've seen has a fuel tank with a neck that rises up to the level of the top of the fuselage. While on the real thing, the fuel cap is actually flush against the tank, quite some way down from the hole for it. It's maybe a case of companies copying the same resources, or each other. I'll bet the WnW version gets it right though.

http://www.johnsshawaviation.co.uk/Fuel_Tank_Set_w.jpg

Offline Ronkootje

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 07:59:42 PM »
Whell i pre order me one as a center peach of my work :D takes a long time to build me thinks with all the wood graining but its funn to do anny way! ill be detailing this thing to the max tough!

Ron

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 12:53:06 AM »
How would you fellows approach the woodgrain effect with so many parts? I wonder if it wouldn't be best to assemble it in components, undercoat with acrylic, and then do the woodgrain.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 06:17:42 AM »
well 1/16 is not that oddball a scale. all the model airways kits are 1/16 and there are a few other random things in 1/16 like figures and armor not at all like the revell 1/28 which was the only kits in this scale. i could see potential to think about getting one and use my refs to do a super detailed version, i wonder if regular tissue would stick to the plastic so you could cover one side and leave the other side open? ya know like old school stick and tissue. whatever the case it is interesting and deserves a closer look.

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 06:24:27 AM »
How would you fellows approach the woodgrain effect with so many parts? I wonder if it wouldn't be best to assemble it in components, undercoat with acrylic, and then do the woodgrain.

Cheers,

Chris

Yes I agree with you Chris. Glueing so many parts after they were painted is bound to make the wood grain finish look tatty
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/