Author Topic: Hasegawa 1:16 Sopwith Camel set for June Release!  (Read 5035 times)

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: Hasegawa 1:16 Sopwith Camel set for June Release!
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2013, 06:47:19 AM »
   Scott,
The will stick to the plastic and easily so. Just wouldn't use the normal watery Elmer's though. Although I haven't covered an entire airframe with tissue I have covered the flaps and rudder of several WW II projects to get a fabric texture appearance. I used the old Testor's Liquid Cement and sealed it with Future. The Sopwith airframe and wings could easily be done as well. But I believe I'd try using the regular old tube glue instead spread as thin as possible to avoid any unevenness under the tissue. Once you're covered you would need to shrink the tissue. When all's dry you would need to seal the tissue with Future for painting and decaling . Note I wouldn't try the mylar type coverings though as they require heat to shrink them. Could warp the parts. I hope someone tries this technique on the new 1/16 scale Camel.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

PS: I found an original version of the kit yesterday on E-Bay for a mere $899.00. P.T Barnum may have been right there is a sucker born every minute.
" What Me Worry"

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2013, 06:59:02 AM »
How would you fellows approach the woodgrain effect with so many parts? I wonder if it wouldn't be best to assemble it in components, undercoat with acrylic, and then do the woodgrain.

Cheers,

Chris

Yes I agree with you Chris. Glueing so many parts after they were painted is bound to make the wood grain finish look tatty

James,
Perhaps the best approach would be to build in sub sections then paint as normal then apply the woodgrain.Once done you could build up the structure's sections or components and touch up were needed. Building up the entire airframe and wings then painting and wood graining would be a real pain. I learned that with my 1/32 scale Camel.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

mike in calif

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 12:01:53 AM »
I like the seat! I wonder if I can get a seat from Hase for my model Airways kit? I won't buy this one, but thinking on it, figured one might base coatthe entire kit, and then wood grain sections. After a session or two of woodgraining, you be ready to do some assembly, and using Tamiya x-thin would flow right into the joints if applied carefully. I guess I'll be facing this when I get to my Wright Flyer now that I think of it. 

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 04:57:11 AM »
  Richard,
Excellent I'm glad to hear you'll be offering lightweight silk coverings my old friend. I hope you can include unbleached linen too for those early types.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 05:57:59 AM »
  Richard,
Yes I do thanks to Des' inspiration. I've been kicking around the idea for awhile now of attempting a return to modelling with a scratchbuilt project.What I have in mind is a 1911 Voisin Canard. A what you must be saying! Well blame it on my love of odd ball aircraft and "Those Magnificent Men and Their Flying Machines" I've got the inspiration now just hope I can do it justice.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 07:57:42 AM »
Good on ya Gregory for aiming for the unusual. I too love the pre WW1 aircraft and the one you have picked has been on my list for quite some time, to see photos of this aeroplane in flight it appears to be flying backwards but with the canard configuration it is perfectly normal. I hope you decide to take the plunge Gregory and get your teeth back into modeling again, I miss seeing your brilliant work.

Des.

Sorry that this topic has strayed off-topic.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

mike in calif

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 11:58:08 AM »
Richard wrote:
If the Camel sells well maybe they have more in the pipeline!?
Model Airway has a Fokker Tripe in the pipeline as we speak... er, write. Albie, Nie.28, Camel, and a tripe, with the Jenny, and Flyer out there as well.

Airboss 55

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 06:58:01 AM »
Sometimes you just have to do it!  I have a big hobby room with a relatively high ceiling.  When I was a kid, I was always impressed with the planes that hung from the ceiling of the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.  Imagine walking into your man cave and seeing that radial engine heading right for you!  Sometimes you just HAVE to do it! :)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 03:43:01 PM »
The Hasegawa 1:16 Camel is set to be available in July, but doing a bit of a look around revealed quite a huge difference in prices, if you intend on buying one of these kits please do your homework first, compare prices before sending any money.

Des.

Hobby Link - $121.00 US
Tower Hobbies - $239.99 US
Tokyo-Hobby - $138.80 US + $40 post
Boystown - £135.99 GBP (about $210.00US)
Ebay - $138.00 (Tokyo-Hobby)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 03:45:57 PM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Zabu

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2013, 09:16:57 PM »
For you big scalers there's another nicely done models.
I own a Sopwith Camel yet to be build.

It's from Model Airways as you may see and it's 1/16 scale.
In these models what would be wood in the real aircraft it stays wood in the model, the same for rubber or metal parts.

It comes with all you need to build it too.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 01:19:12 AM »
I hope you'll consider running a build log on this Camel project Zabu. Quite a kit by the looks of what I saw when I googled it.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2013, 05:19:42 PM »
on ebay they have been having them available for $158.99 with $40 shipping from japan. so i will wait until someone imports some.

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2013, 08:55:40 PM »
Looks like a nice kit, but a bit too large for my limited display space.

They had about twenty of these kits piled high in a store in Osaka, whilst I was there on a business trip last week.

Will be good to see the first "build" on this site.

Golden times for modelling just now!

Offline Ronkootje

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2013, 01:13:48 AM »
Got mine a couple days ago rely nice kit first thing i did though is remove the chrome from the sprue with bleach

Regards Ron
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 08:01:45 AM by Ronkootje »

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2013, 04:01:54 AM »
Got mine a couple days ago rely nice kit first thing i did though is remover the chrome from the sprue with bleach

Regards Ron
And that worked? 
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence