Author Topic: WNW Sopwith Snipe late version  (Read 2773 times)

Offline Epeeman

WNW Sopwith Snipe late version
« on: May 04, 2013, 01:40:25 AM »
Hello, All -

Just posting up my latest build of a Wingnut Wings Sopwith Snipe in post WW1 livery - chose this scheme as it was Kent based (I live in Kent myself) squadron at Hawkinge.

Of the few WNW kits built by me, this is by far their best kit.   Everything just goes together very well and was a pleasure to put together.  The decals (as with all their kits) are brilliant and very easy to apply.  I cannot recommend this kit enough so I will certainly be going for the early version in the future.

Unfortunately, the usual, few mistakes (by me, not the kit) along the way but overall I am very pleased with the result.

Rigged with a combination of 2lb fishing line, stretched sprue and EZ line.   Used stretched cotton bud handles to try and simulate bracing wire attachment points. 

As the weather is good (for a change!) in the UK, decided to see how well photos come out in natural light.  Pictures therefore taken in my back garden this afternoon.  I hope they have done the model justice .........

Regards

Dave

As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: WNW Sopwith Snipe late version
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 02:09:53 AM »
She's absolutely gorgeous, Dave.  What paint did you use for your aluminum dope?  Knowing that you brush paint everything makes it all the more impressive.  Brilliantly done, mate.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline drdave

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 02:53:08 AM »
Bloody great Dave. Love it.

Just waiting for Rowan to post his new set out for mine. How did you get on with the gunsight?

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 02:59:35 AM »
She's a beaut!

Offline michael

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 05:21:53 AM »
Stunning build Dave! Fantastic finish  :)

no build log?

pleased for you about the weather it's freezing up here (cumbria)   >:(

michael
“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 07:44:19 AM »
Many thanks, gents -

Bud - I answer to your question:

I tried to achieve variations in the aluminium finish by using different shades. The overall dope colour is a slightly darkened (using small amount of dark grey) aluminium colour.  Rib tape shading created by darkened further (very slightly) the dope colour mix.  Paint over and around each tape.  When dry, dry brush plain aluminium on top of the ribs to created shaded look.

Cowling painted with plain aluminium.  Once dry, mixed in small amount of black in and covered over in a wash.  When dry, dry brush the plain aluminium over this area again.  Finally, dry brushed on silver paint - but only on sharp/rounded edges (where natural light would reflect of the surface) which gives a nice metallic look - I hope!

Michael -

No build log on this, mate - sorry! I promise my next build I will put one up on works in progress. 

Not the north/south divide again in terms of weather by any chance ................!

Best regards

Dave

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 07:51:32 AM »
Graham -

Sorry, mate - forgot to reply to your question regarding the aldis sight.   This was one of my mistake areas actually.   After installing the top wing, congratulating myself on how well I had got it all straight and true - I realised I had forgot to install the gunsight mount!!!

So, this was much more difficult than it should have been - after looks of attempts finally got mount on - very fiddly with wing installed.  The mount thought was not set right as the sight did not match up.  Long story short, had extend the mount points (stretched sprue) to get the sight on.

Regards

Dave

Offline drdave

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 08:32:45 AM »
Who's Graham?

I'm Dave too!   ;D

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 01:25:14 PM »
  Dave,
Your Snipe is Outstanding my friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline kinnies

• Biggles flies low
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 03:03:22 PM »
Hi Dave,
That looks great! I've resisted purchasing the Snipe, but the more great builds I see the more tempted I am. The silver is striking indeed.
Cheers,
John

Offline Rizzo

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 05:51:00 PM »
That's an awesome looking Snipe, and great paintwork!

Offline michael

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »
No worries Dave only kidding about the build log  ;D

what have you got lined up next?

michael
“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 04:59:00 AM »
Dave, Gregory, Rizzo & John - thank you.

Michael - going to have a little break from WW1 aircraft.   I'm interested in ancient Rome, so I've made a small start on Miniart's 1/16 scale gladiator ('murmillo' type) figure.  The bits I've put together so far have fitted superbly.  The challenge with this kit will be the flesh painting.

Not sure yet which WW1 bird to go for after this - will be torn between WNW SE5a or Roden 1/32 Nieuport 24 bis.

Regards

Dave

Offline drdave

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 05:54:55 AM »
I'll post mine next as I paid the invoice from pheon for the decals today. I'll get paint on

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 07:06:35 AM »
A very nice Silver-Bird. Thanks for sharing.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.