Author Topic: W. M. Alexander's Sopwith Triplane 'Black Prince'  (Read 19420 times)

Offline Chris Johnson

Re: W. M. Alexander's Sopwith Triplane 'Black Prince'
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2013, 10:08:14 AM »
Slow progress being made, but I have managed to finish the rotary engine. It's pretty simple so all I added was 2lb monofilament line for the spark plug leads.

The engine was airbrushed with Tamiya Metallic Gray, and given a wash of 502 Abteilung Engine Grease oil paint. This colour really does look like grease when you squeeze it out of the tube.

Aside from some detail painting, that's pretty much it.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2013, 10:20:27 AM »
Gorgeous engine, Chris.  Weathered perfectly.  In spite of your protests to the contrary, you AFV guys have a knack for weathering. ;)
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline michael

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2013, 06:33:08 PM »
Fantastic work on the engine Chris it looks a treat

michael
“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2013, 09:54:27 PM »
  Chris,
Outstanding my old friend. Just add gasoline and oil to that beautiful engine and let here rip.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2013, 11:30:03 PM »
Chris,
    Bud's comment on transfering weathering skills from AFV's to Aircraft is spot on; beautiful results on the engine, almost a sin to cover it up. Very nice work so far, keep those updates coming!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2013, 12:55:11 AM »
Perfect colours and tones on that one!! Looking forward to the small finishing detail painting. Are the 502 paints straight up artists oils?

Steve

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2013, 05:37:29 AM »
Thanks guys for taking the time to post your comments. They're very much appreciated.

Are the 502 paints straight up artists oils?

Yes they are Steve. They handle exactly the same. The image below will give you a size comparison between their 20 ml tube and an old 1.25 oz tube I have. While the tubes are a bit smaller, the set of six only cost me $22.00 plus shipping.

I bought my set online from Track48 which is located in Toronto. They've given me good service in the past and this experience was no different.

http://www.track48.com/shop/product.php?productid=1461&cat=0&page=1

They also have some interesting looking metallic oil colours too which I'm going to try too.

http://www.track48.com/shop/manufacturers.php?manufacturerid=55

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline tankbear

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2013, 09:31:55 AM »
Chris,

Very nice engine.... may have to pick up some of the 502 paints.... I expect that the next Sherman you build will have the rotary engine in it as you are getting really good at them.

This one looks to be just about falling together for you... a bit different than when you built the Pup isn't it?  ;D

Carry on....
Bob
Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
---Douglas Adams

We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.
------Douglas Adams

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2013, 02:21:01 AM »
Thanks for the info Chris. Garfield at Track48 and I go way back to Peel Scale Modellers and IPMS Toronto days some 20 years ago. He provides a great online service. Dave at Hornet Hobbies is another favourite stop when I want a "brick and morter" experience.

Steve

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2013, 09:12:26 AM »
I visited Hornet Hobbies a couple of times years ago and I agree, Dave was a really friendly fellow. He has a great shop but the downside is that it's in Toronto and I just don't go there because of the traffic issues.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2013, 05:50:53 PM »
most likely student grade oils mixed into modeller friendly colors. cool deal there. your tripe is looking pretty swell there if i must say so myself. i like the overall color of the pc-10. i coulda told you that you have to brush the whole wing in future to get an even glosscote. i learned that some time ago. which you can eventually get the overall matte effect bust you have to use like 3 cans of dullcote. i also do a sealer coat of future before i dullcote it. i dont know if its necessary probably just my habit. i like the weathered look after you apply your oil filter. as well as your chipped up cowl and panels. as they say 2 thumbs up.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2013, 02:14:33 AM »
Hello Chris:

Engine looks outstanding.   I am presently stalled on Mr. Camel.  Looking forward to updates on your Tripe. 

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline bbrockel

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2013, 02:22:01 AM »
Great job on your engine.  Looks like ones hands would get greasy touching it.   :)
Bob

"If at first you don't succeede, use a bigger hammer"

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2013, 02:47:43 AM »
Thanks for your comments guys! Progress continues and I now have the cockpit almost finished. I still have to add the seatbelts and do a bit more detail painting. I'm cheating a bit this time around as I've only added a couple of representative control lines from the rudder pedals and none at all from the control stick. As any of you who've followed my past build logs know, I'm a long way from being a modelling purist and as there's little to be seen of the cockpit once the fuselage is buttoned up, I'm cutting some corners here.

I'm also carrying the hairspray technique over to the sheet metal section of the fuselage top piece. The way I'm justifying it in my mind is that the mechanics and armourers have given that part some rough handling while engaged in routine maintenance. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. The other way of looking at it is that this is an experiment in progress to see what shakes out in the end!

Cheers,

Chris

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2013, 03:28:25 AM »
That looks excellent Chris. Great progress!! 502 again for the wood effect?

Steve