Author Topic: W. M. Alexander's Sopwith Triplane 'Black Prince'  (Read 19417 times)

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: W. M. Alexander's Sopwith Triplane 'Black Prince'
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 09:58:17 AM »
  Chris,
Outstanding progress my old friend. Your mixture of PC-12 looks excellent to my eyes. Impressive weathering todate as well. Keep up the Excellence .
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline kinnies

• Biggles flies low
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 10:58:11 AM »
 I'll just repeat what's been said already. The pastel shading looks great as does the PC-12. Going together fast and fabulously. The hair dryer trick also seems to work really well. Not needing a hair dryer of my own >:( I'll have to grab SWMBO's when she's not looking ... and hope I don't forget to return it.
John

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 11:10:08 AM »
Chris:

The wings are brilliantly executed!  They look the part of a well-used machine at the front, and the color is excellent. :D

I'm interested in your filter technique.  You mentioned heavily thinned oil paint.  Can you tell us what paint and color(s), and what you used to thin it?  Thanks, and carry on with the exemplary work!

Regards,

Bob

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 02:49:49 PM »
Nice jump forward. My fears of hair dryering (is that a word?) decals have been eased a bit looking at your results. Nice paint work too!!

Steve

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 01:08:55 AM »
Thanks to all of you for your comments. As always, they give me the impetus to keep moving forward.

Steve and John: Frankly, I was very surprised just how much of a difference the hair dryer makes. The roundels wrap around the edges of the wings and ailerons and I've always had issues getting them to conform to a 90° angle like that. When I hit them with the heat though, they virtually snapped into place. It was literally that quick.

I spirited away my wife's spare unit John. I'll wager your's has a spare unit too as it's an essential piece of kit for women. Now it is for me too!

Bob: I used 'Wash Brown', the 4th from the left, for my filter. Humbrol enamels work well too. In many instances, fellows will use a lighter shade of colour in their filters, but in this instance, the darker shade worked well for me. The secret is to apply multiple thin coats so they build upon themselves, giving a certain degree of depth to the effect.

Vickers: Bud (Coyotemagic) is the go-to guy here when it comes to pastel rib shading. He does some exquisite work with his. He tells me it's easy but I continue to struggle with it. One of these days I'll get the hang of it though.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2013, 08:31:32 AM »
This is an excellent build log Chris and your rib detail work is especially impressive. The model is looking very nice and the hairspray chipping technique is really fascinating. The result looks very realistic.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2013, 09:47:47 AM »
Wow, Chris, what a great start! I just checked after only a few day's absence and you are already well into this one. Gotta say you aced the hairspray chipping and the pastel work is really impressive, not to mention the effect you achieved with the filter coats. Like Steve I've avoided the hair dryer thing with decals out of fear of damaging or melting something; I think having seen this I'll be pilfering the spare unit I've seen around here and give it a try.
Very very nice work, hopefully you'll be done before I start and I'll just ride along in your slipstream. ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2013, 09:46:41 PM »
Chris,
 Excellent results on your decal application and pastel shading! I think you have the technique mastered ! I will have to give the hair dryer a go on my next build! May even be the Triplane although I am leaning towards a Snipe or Nieuport 28 right now.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gcn

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2013, 09:56:24 PM »
I like the results Chris, some of the old AFV techniques on show.

I find with a hairdryer I get microbubbles appear, is that due to too much heat do you think.

This build log will be useful as I have the tripe up next after I finish the Albie i'm working on. I also like the hairspray results too, so much so i've decanted a small amount to try out on the Albatros fuel tank and cowlings, so i'll blame you if it goes wrong.

I thinned the floor down on my Pup and it fitted like a dream so I would be interested to see whether the same happens to this build.

Cheers, Gary

Offline michael

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2013, 11:49:42 PM »
Great stuff Chris  :) and thanks for sharing your tips  ;)

michael
“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”

Offline mgunns

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2013, 12:46:58 AM »
Hello Chris:

Looking good to this point.  Yes, if you are using Future for a gloss coat, it is highly recommended to do the whole surface as it will affect the effect of the dull coat, as you found out.  You managed to overcome the challenge in True Chris fashion and move on.  I like your pastel rib shading, but like Des, I have not had much success with it, so I will stick with the painting method.  I like your PC12 and the use of the Hair Spray technique is something I have to try.  Excellent results.  Looking forward to the next update.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2013, 08:41:09 AM »
Thanks so much for all of your comments!

I find with a hairdryer I get microbubbles appear, is that due to too much heat do you think.

It sounds like those microbubbles might be blisters Gary, so perhaps it was too hot.

This build log will be useful as I have the tripe up next after I finish the Albie i'm working on. I also like the hairspray results too, so much so i've decanted a small amount to try out on the Albatros fuel tank and cowlings, so i'll blame you if it goes wrong.

Thanks for the warning Gary! I'll hurry this build of mine along so I'm finished before you start yours. No way do I want mine compared to the beauty you'll build!  ;D

As for the hairspray, I simply sprayed it on from an aerosol can. I'll happily take all the credit if you're successful.  ;D

I thinned the floor down on my Pup and it fitted like a dream so I would be interested to see whether the same happens to this build.

I have my fingers crossed that it takes care of the issue too.

Very very nice work, hopefully you'll be done before I start and I'll just ride along in your slipstream. ;)

I think that if you try really hard , you can catch up to me and take over the point.  ;)

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2013, 05:02:03 PM »
Chris your pastel rib shading looks great, especially the centre wing which looks spot on. 

Offline tankbear

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2013, 09:20:25 AM »
Chris,
Another beauty in the works as usual. Nice to see some weathering going on -- these planes are just to neat and clean for me...
Bob

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
---Douglas Adams

We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.
------Douglas Adams

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2013, 11:12:27 PM »
Another beauty in the works as usual. Nice to see some weathering going on -- these planes are just to neat and clean for me...

It's good to see you drop in Bob. I'm throwing caution to the wind on this one, so it'll be anything but neat and clean. I have no doubt that I'll unintentionally go overboard but I'm prepared for that . . . I think . . .  :-\

Cheers,

Chris