Author Topic: Albatros DVa reproductions built by The Vintage Aviator Ltd (TVAL)  (Read 8029 times)

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
So far TVAL have completed and publically displayed three Albatros DVa reproductions. Their website has many photographs of the construction in progress and the completed aircraft, which appear to be very authentic. The only concessions appear to be a) the lap belt for the pilot passes through the sides of the pilot seat rather than over the sides, b) the fuel drain that exits the pilot's cockpit on the right hand side (Gene DeMarco mentioned to me that the originals had a cup to collect the drips inside the cockpit instead, when parked). I am unsure about the authenticity of the water temperature gauge/stub which sticks up out of the water pipe leading to the radiator. Readers who are more knowledgeable than me may be able to comment further.

The first is finished in the markings of 5284/17 flown by Josef Mai of Jasta 5, who scored 7 victories in this aircraft out of a total of 30. It is registered in New Zealand as ZK-DVA (appropriately enough!).

The photos I have taken are ground shots with the objective of documenting details that modellers look for to super-detail their builds. Some are taken at TVAL airshows and others in the TVAL hangar on Open Hangar days. Thank you to Gene DeMarco and the team for making such generous public access to your flying treasures! The photobucket album has 85 photos at present:
http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af234/Jamo_kiwi/Albatros%20DV/?start=all

Here are a selection:

Note the padding around part of the opening for the machine guns:

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 06:37:34 PM by Jamo »
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
Re: Albatros DVa reproductions built by The Vintage Aviator Ltd (TVAL)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 06:29:10 PM »
Check out the fuel/oil stains running down the keel of the fuselage

Note the footstep on the nose

Retaining cable on the spinner:

Supporting brace on the airspeed indicator:

Diagonal turnbuckles on the bracing cables for the undercarriage inside the cockpit:
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 06:34:48 PM »
Note the undercarriage axle fairing is in two parts:

Note the drain hole in the wing stub, and the reinforcing tapes around the inspection panels:

Tailskid is fabric wrapped on the upper section:

Note tapes reinforcing around the aileron hinges, drain holes near the trailing edge (and the staining from water/oil(?):

Lifting handles and belly strap:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 05:27:25 AM by Jamo »
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 07:00:09 PM »
The screws and nails that fasten the plywood panels are reasonably prominent and IMHO are worth representing in 1/32 scale. Note the plywood has a very fine grain, its not obvious at all. Some of the wood grain finishes I have seen look really amazing but scale out closer to 1:1 rather than 1:32. In this photo you can see the fuel drain pipe exiting the cockpit. Note also how there are two separate engine panels on each side, not a single panel (important for that diorama where you leave the panels on the ground to show off the engine detail):

Note the representation of the manufacturers mark on a see-through panel over the spar:

Note the alternative throttle control/pull rod on the upper left of the cockpit, with the ring handle:

The photo above has a temporary instrument gauge (in black) that was used for calibrating the reproduction instruments. It was subsequently removed.

The fuel/air switches have an English language translation sheet for familiarisation of Kiwi pilots.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 09:07:33 PM by Jamo »
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Online Whiteknuckles

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 07:41:27 PM »
James you are the man!!

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 08:57:39 PM »
Thanks Andrew  ;D

Isn't it funny how if you study photos closely enough you keep noticing new details. Check out the fastenings for the cockpit fittings on the each side of the fuselage in these two photos (for the detail-afflicted among us)

Easy to replicate with a micro-punch and some thin card or foil
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 09:43:22 PM »
These images are extremely useful for fellows like me. I can't think of anything more important for newcomers to WWI aircraft modelling than closeups of rigging points. Rigging diagrams such as appear in the WnW kits are of vital importance, but images that show where turnbuckles were employed, and where the actual anchor points are located, are indispensible too.

Thanks for posting the images!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 10:52:52 PM »
What a great addition to the ww1aircraftmodels forum. These are splendid references.  :) Now, when I finally retrieve my WnW DV.a from the stash there will be a number of thumb prints on these.  :D

Paddy :)

In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 10:56:15 PM »
Very, very good. This goes further into the type than anywhere else. Thank you!!!!!

Steve

Offline xmald

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 07:35:04 AM »
You leave me breathless mate. No words can explain my gratitude.
Best regards
Filip

Online Whiteknuckles

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 09:19:40 AM »
James, you do realise that your going to have to do this for ALL of TVAL's fleet ;D ;D 8)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Flyjunkie

• wherever You go, there You are...
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 10:06:14 AM »
James, thank you soo kindly for posting all those Pictures!!!!! That is a Gorgeous Albatros!!! and the detail photos are helpful and educational ...

I hope to see that beauty in person one day... ;)

Thank you again!!,

DEAN ~~~ 8)
"..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.." ~~ Hunter S. Thompson

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 09:03:14 AM »
Wonderful shots I bookmarked your page years ago as you know. ;)

Just want to point out though that the Maxim cocking mechanisms are wrong for the Albi both in the TVAL & WNWs kit for those that don't know.  A minor thing but when AMS strikes you know how it is.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline kornbeef

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 04:49:26 PM »
Wonderful shots I bookmarked your page years ago as you know. ;)

Just want to point out though that the Maxim cocking mechanisms are wrong for the Albi both in the TVAL & WNWs kit for those that don't know.  A minor thing but when AMS strikes you know how it is.

Keith

Good to know -- can you elaborate?
Tony, the long cocking handle apparently only came in late and used on craft like the Fokker DVII.  I'm led to believe by better informed souls than myself. There was a discussion or ten on another forum I frequent.  If you have the instruction booklet for the WNW DVa or check the online PDF at WNW on page 13 & 26 theres a shot which shows the true configuration.  (I have scoured all the ref material I have and havent found a pic of an Albi with these cocking handles at all.) 

K
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 04:51:07 PM by kornbeef »

Offline kornbeef

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 03:20:11 AM »
Ref this point, the fuel drain off on the lower right cockpit wall

(b) the fuel drain that exits the pilot's cockpit on the right hand side (Gene DeMarco mentioned to me that the originals had a cup to collect the drips inside the cockpit instead, when parked).

I have B&W pics of the Canberra D.Va that clearly show this ppie dropping and exiting the fuselage, perhaps the mentioned cup was hung below this when parked though I've not seen that anywhere either.

Keith.