Author Topic: Albatros DVa reproductions built by The Vintage Aviator Ltd (TVAL)  (Read 8037 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Albatros DVa reproductions built by The Vintage Aviator Ltd (TVAL)
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 04:59:15 AM »
Keith,
  Like you I've often wondered about the same point on throttles, three of them? The cockpit artwork (with legend) in Osprey's SE5a vs. Albatros DV book (by Jon Guttman, cockpit view by Jim Laurier) labels #9 (what I've always considered one of the throttles and placed in the "traditional" position on the left wall of the cockpit) as the "Spark Control Handle". The Ring Handle pull rod, #7, is labeled "Auxilliary Throttle Handle". The configuration of each suggests the labels could be reversed ie. your ring handle control could be the spark arrest control perhaps??
  Hope someone has the answer, maybe as simple as confirmation from the TVAL folks. From my point of view I'm only sure of one thing, that "I'm not sure.........."
Cheers,
Lance :-\ ;)

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 05:31:15 AM »
James: are you sure the function of the ring handle pull rod is another throttle control? It doesn't quite make sense to me -- there is already one on the stick and of course the standard throttle quadrant below the ring handle.

My guess is/was that it was the emergency fuel dump to the main tank -- I found something exactly like it on a (real) 1950s Alfa endurance race car that I am restoring. I realize that means nothing, but it is very reminiscent and immediately came to mind when I saw this and the way the fuel tanks are constructed. If not, any idea where the lever is to open the reserve?

cheers!

Note the alternative throttle control/pull rod on the upper left of the cockpit, with the ring handle:

Hi Tony
I am fairly sure that the lever on the port side of the cockpit is not a throttle control, it is a spark advance/retard control. There are only two throttle controls, the main one on the control stick and the the auxillary one which is the rod with the ring on the end.
Cheers
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 09:19:39 AM »
I agree with James, the lever on the cockpit side wall is spark advance, connects to the magneto's on the engine block by a lever system. this is linked from left to the right magneto by a rod and lever that runs across the back of the engine.

Check Jamo's engine pics post, you'll see the top rod *with the ring* connected to the carb on the outside of the manifold, the throttle cable runs and connects behind the manifold.

Hope this helps clarify?

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 04:55:07 PM »
Monor amendment to what I said Tony, seems both the rod and cable connect to the front of the carb in front of the manifold.   :-[
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 06:47:49 AM »
Thanks for clearing this up; I've learned something today, which makes it a good day all round. :) (& apologies to the folks at Osprey if their listening)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2012, 04:50:16 AM »
I recently scared up a copy of the Mikesh NASM D.Va book ("Stropp") which is pretty definitive and highly recommended to fellow Alby nuts if you can find it.

Anyway, the answer is...

The ring is indeed an auxiliary throttle. In normal operation it is disconnected -- only the lever on the stick controls the throttle. If necessary due to some malfunction with the main throttle, this auxiliary throttle is pushed all the way forward until it engages a catch at which point it can be used normally.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2012, 05:12:04 AM »
Tony,
    Thanks for the definitive answer. Also served to bring  this Thread to my attention again. Every time I review these photos I pick up on another detail, super content and detail. Now I've got a DIII built, a DV in progress, two WNW DVa's stashed and an  Encore DII as well. Then theres the four 1/48 Kits I will never build. Wonder if I can stop there.....?? Maybe I'm an "Albaholic"?
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2012, 07:08:23 AM »
Thanks Lance. For those who have not yet had a good look around my Photobucket album, in terms of Albatros photos there are four albums worth checking out in addition to the one noted at the start of this thread. There are separate albums for the second and third TVAL Albatros reproductions and two albums for restored Mercedes engines (one with water-jacketed intake manifold and one without).

http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af234/Jamo_kiwi/Mercedes%20DIIIa%20engine%20with%20jacketed%20inlet%20manifold/?start=all

The priming cups are quite noticeable in this shot of the cylinders (not included in the WNW kit):

This is the third Albatros reproduction:
http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af234/Jamo_kiwi/TVAL%20Albatros%207343/?start=all

Note the canvas covers on the undercarriage bungee cords

Note tacking of the fabric screen behind the pilot's seat

Fabric wrapping of the tail skid

The second TVAL Albatros reproduction album is here:
http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af234/Jamo_kiwi/Albatros%20DV%20TVAL/
Most of these photos were taken by David Frowen

This ground handling dolly would be an easy scratch build to add interest

The other Mercedes engine is here:
http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af234/Jamo_kiwi/Mercedes%20DIIIa%20engine%20restored/?start=all

Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2012, 08:04:41 AM »
Be still, my rapidly beating heart!! Thanks for the additional photos and links Jamo. Really great stuff, useful, and bound to send me right over the edge in a fit of AMS!
Cheers,
Lance :)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2012, 10:21:52 PM »
James, what Lance said. Your photos are excellent in quality and fantastically useful. Thanks so much for sharing.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2012, 10:28:20 PM »
These are wonderful photos James, especially the close-ups of the engines, very useful indeed.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Loki

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2012, 09:46:52 AM »
Now that's magic! Forget Paul Daniels. Thanks for posting these James.