Author Topic: You married men might understand...  (Read 3253 times)

Offline Jonmath

You married men might understand...
« on: April 03, 2013, 04:20:38 PM »
I hope this, my very first post, amuses more than it infuriates... Here goes: My wife has decided my airplanes are 'cute' and now wants to try her hand at building one. We've come to the conclusion that something in 1/32nd scale might be best since the model will be larger and thus less fiddly for her to construct and rig. And Wingnuts seem to be the best and most carefully engineered in this scale, so we've agreed that purchasing one of those is the Way Forward. Furthermore, since German aircraft tend to be more flamboyantly marked, as opposed to the relatively drab British colour schemes, she wants to try one of the former.

OK, ready for this? She has announced that since her favourite colour is royal purple, she wants to model an aircraft in that hue. And to forestall the first suggestion that sprung to my mind and undoubtedly to yours, I have been sweetly informed that 'The purple bits in lozenge camouflage don't count'.

Well, gentlemen, in the interests of preserving domestic peace and tranquillity at our place, do any of you know of a German aircraft, preferably by Wingnuts, whose pilot had her painted/marked predominantly in this way? If so, a link to a drawing of it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Offline stefanbuss

Re: You married men might understand...
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
You might want to have a look at the Fokker lineup - on of those is Rudolf Stark's plane (Fokker DVII (OAW) 4523/18), which is lilac (and to my knowledge rather close to pink, but what do I know, as my wife uses to tell me...)

Anyway, it is kit No. 32020 - the OAW subtype.

And those DVII have a rather low amount of rigging, which might be helpful.

Good luck,

Stefan

Offline IvotB

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 10:51:01 PM »
Keep her interested! It seems a wonderful thing that your wife wants to try to build a plane. And as it will be her first, you could help her with the rigging.

I don't know about royal purple, but you should have a look apart from the Fokker D.VII schemes at the color schemes of the Albatros and Rumpler. I remember seeing an Albatros somewhere with a natural wood finish fuselage and a large red heart on a white band, which was absolutely beautiful. I would also advice you to take a look at the Pheon Models topics on this forum as they have many alternative markings for ww1 aircraft.

regards,
Ivo

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 12:41:11 AM »
Some of the Albatros variants have lilac/mauve and green camo on the wing surfaces, if that helps.

Also, and what we often forget, is this is your (or perhaps her) model, so in theory you/she can finish it in whatever "what if" colour scheme you choose...

mike in calif

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 03:21:18 AM »
I think it is pretty good that she wants to try her hand, and that deserves encouagement. A DVII, Albie, or the J-1 seem the obvious choices. If she is not driven by needing to make a historically accurate plane, it seems anything goes. I noticed the ratio of green to purple is about 50/50 on the J-1 if that helps. Do you have a family crest to maybe use on a plane?

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 06:12:27 AM »
That is great news that your wife wants to get involved in the hobby. If she wants to paint an aeroplane purple then go for it, there are no hard and fast rules to say that all of our models have to be historically correct, it's her model so she can paint it what ever colour she chooses.

I hope she joins the forum as well and starts a build log, it will be interesting to watch her progress.

My wife does not make models but she is very supportive of my hobby, she is always telling me to buy more kits  :) :)

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 06:54:51 AM »
I believe the Lavender Baron flew something purple..

Steve

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 07:05:32 AM »
A mauve Dr.1, huh?  Pretty cool! ;D 

Offline gcn

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 07:38:50 AM »
Whilst there are some colourful schemes there is nothing stopping her doing a what if . I'd also be pointing her to a 1/48 Eduard kit to keep the costs down.

Failing that there's the d.vii already mentioned which incidently is the scheme I've chosen as I've already done it in 1/48

Offline IvotB

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 07:56:41 AM »

My wife is always telling me to buy more kits  :) :)

;D I wonder why  ;D

Mine for sure isn't. She shows scarcely any interest in any of my hobbies. Just sometimes my techniques come in handy when something has to be repaired around the house. No, a hobby is just a loss of attention........... ;)

regards,
Ivo

P.S., Sorry Des, just couldn't resist reacting  ;)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 08:04:04 AM »
No problems Ivo, I'm sure she has an ulteria motive for wanting me to buy more kits

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 08:30:43 AM »
I must admit that fully half my stash and a lot of my books are presents from my wife. Might have something to do with the list of "WANTS" I keep leaving available, especially as Christmas or the Birthday gets close and also the special Favorites File on the PC. I certainly appreciate the gifts more then a shirt or tie; they don't come in Lozenge or PC10 anyway! ;D
Cheers,
Lance

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 09:52:32 AM »
No problems Ivo, I'm sure she has an ulteria motive for wanting me to buy more kits

Des.

Does she have long lost relatives in Canada by chance? Sure sounds as though she must be related to my wife Cheryl. I know she has her motives too.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 04:30:29 PM »
first thing that comes to mind for me is the wnw junkers j.i. basically no rigging for the newcomer/wife and overall purple/green camo paintjob.next thing that come to mind is an albatros many had purple/green wings and tail. then theres the pfalz dxii which has lozenge with purple as well as purple bands on the fuselage. i hope she has more drive than my girl(ex-girl now) did. she kept saying how much she wanted to do a model aircraft, she picked one out and eventually i sat down with her and tryed to explain modelling to her. she glued a couple cockpit parts together and painted them. so i says "o.k. put those parts down so the paint can dry" of course she didnt like the fact that she couldnt build paint build paint build paint and be done in an hour or 2. when it sank in that it was actual work that required thought, planning, effort, and time she lost interest quickly.good luck with that.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 02:57:35 AM »
Here's a scheme that might appeal to her, Jon.  Not really purple, more of a mauve, but I don't see why she couldn't interpret it as purple, given the quality of film back then.  We all do our own interpretations based on tonal values and available information.  Besides, it has diamonds.  What woman doesn't like diamonds.

Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence