Author Topic: Fokker E.II 69/15 Kurt von Crailsheim  (Read 29543 times)

Offline mgunns

Re: Fokker E.II 69/15 Kurt von Crailsheim
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 10:23:17 PM »
Hello Dirk:

Looking forward to this build and what the results of your wheel query will bring.  Hopefully some satisfactory results.  In the meantime, your metal work looks the business, so you are on your way.  It will also be intersting to see how you do the fuselage shading as well.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline dirk

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 06:55:30 AM »
After two weeks of beeing heavily engaged in my job I have now found the time to post some update on my Fokker.

The preassembly and the painting of the cockpit is almost finished. The instrument panel has been painted with Tamiya XF 78, sealed with semi-gloss varnish from vallejo. The woodgrain has been brushed with sienna and umbra oil-paints. The detail on the pulsameter has been added by a heat stretched transparent sprue and the wiring was done by using .2 mm copper wire. The instrument glasses were made by using Micro Kristal Klear. Especially the metal elements on the decals for the switches came out very realistic.

The cockpit floor received some weathering with pigments and different oil-painted woodgrains for the two covers. The wiring of the control cables and especially for the rudder bar was quite challenging. At least the cables popped away in the final stage of using oil-paint. I guess that the solvent (white spirit) softened the plastic and cause it to break. Finally I fixed the cables directly on the rudder bar.

The chair was brushed in wood grain and was sealed with acrylic varnish. After that I used the hairspray technique and sprayed the Tamiya XF 60 "Fokker Beige". This coat was brushed and sanded away partially to get a heavy used look. The photoetched seatbelts were painted in Clear Doped Linen and were weathered by using earth-brown Mig-Pigments.

The contol column got some extra wiring for the MG switch. All black parts were treated with metalic-pigments.

The structural wiring was done by using 0.12 mm fishing line. The turnbuckles were made with 0.4 mm Albion tubes, wrapped by 0.05 mm copper wire.

So now I am hooked again in my current build and more pics will follow soon.

With greetings from Germany,

Dirk

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 08:32:10 AM »
Truly superb, Dirk.  Thanks for the eye candy.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 10:48:36 PM »
Great job so far Dirk, lovely looking pit.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2013, 10:52:59 PM »
An interesting way to do turnbuckles. Where do you find such thin copper wire, I may ask?

Stefan

Offline Adam

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, 11:03:35 PM »
Cockpit is looking great.

Adam.

Offline dirk

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2013, 12:38:57 AM »
An interesting way to do turnbuckles. Where do you find such thin copper wire, I may ask?

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

you find this kind of non-isolated copper wire in store for electronic supplies (i. e. Conrad in Germany). 100m for about 3,99 € and thats all you need for the rest of your modellers life ;)

Dirk

Offline dirk

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2013, 05:45:04 AM »
Here's another update. I finished the cockpit. The mounting of the sideframes was quite easy, more challenging was to fix the structural wiring, especially those under the oil pump under the instrument panel.

So here are the side frames, all wiring has been prefixed:

Offline dirk

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, 05:48:21 AM »
The mounting of the sideframes:

The Tachymeter:

Offline dirk

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2013, 05:53:41 AM »
.. and the finished Cockpit:

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2013, 06:26:08 AM »
Gorgeous cockpit, Dirk!  I love the wear on the floor.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline IvotB

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2013, 07:36:33 AM »
Dirk,

Somehow I missed this build log before. It is really great to see the Master at work again. Superb looking cockpit. I just wonder if I could reproduce your metal work. I am going to follow this build carefully!

regards,
Ivo

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2013, 09:30:57 AM »
Cockpit is absolutely top notch Dirk. Great detail, just the right amount of wear and stunning in it's realism. As said previously by Ivo, great to see your masterful work again!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2013, 03:03:35 AM »
   Dirk,
Absolutely stunning  work on her interior my friend. Outstanding job on the many details too,very impressive.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline michael

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2013, 06:02:13 AM »
Simply fantastic as ever Dirk  :)

michael
“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”