Author Topic: Hansabrandenburg C.1 1/48th Sierra Scale  (Read 4210 times)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Hansabrandenburg C.1 1/48th Sierra Scale
« on: March 06, 2013, 02:16:31 AM »
All,

I see this particular forum is sleeping so I'm throwing this guy into the breech.  I am building it for a Roll Models challenge.  I'm supposed to be done by March 18th.   :P

Let's see if I can actually do that.

Cool plane, neat painting coming.  Wish me luck.

Dan

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Hansabrandenburg C.1 1/48th Sierra Scale
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 03:20:17 AM »
I'm really looking forward to this one, Dan!  To finish this kit in less than two weeks will be nothing short of miraculous.  If you can pull this one off, based on your other builds, I'm certain you'll take top prize in the contest.  Good luck, buddy.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 04:52:20 AM »
Great subject. Looking forward to the "crash" build.

Steve

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 12:43:33 PM »
i started one of these last year. not bad kit overall, but no detail at all. i stopped after i got most of the interior parts built up. i got some nice links for refs if you want.many excellent details from builds of large flying models with full interiors.if you need more let me know this is what i can dig up in 5 min.

http://www.finemodelworks.com/arizona-models/reference/Thumbs/Aircraft/Austro_Hungary/Hansa_Brandenburg/Hansa_Brandenburg.html

http://raysmodels.ca/HANSA%20BUILD%20LOG%20page1/Hansa%20page%201.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4362643/tm.htm

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 12:44:46 AM »
Dan,
   You've certainly provided yourself with a challenge, best of luck and hope you meet the deadline. What are you doing with the rest of your time in the next 10 days?! ;)
Cheers,
Lance

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 02:31:27 AM »
Hey Folks...a bit more insanity from last night!  :P

I drilled all my holes for struts and rigging, used a pencil to highlight the lower structure in the flying surfaces and also penciled in the markings on the bottom surface of the top wing as I suspect it would show through a bit.  I then misted some color over everything and here is how it stands. 

With some luck, I'll add an interior tonight (THANKS to Albi for those great links!!! I have NO references on this lovely machine  :-\) and maybe even close up the fuselage.  Looking ok so far but the timing is definitely a challenge.  This Saturday I have a daughter's music performance and a school basketball game a student invited me to.  Uh, oh!

More soon and thanks for looking...Dan

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 02:40:07 AM »
   Dan,
Man I'm glad you're back with another outstanding Vac build my old friend. You've picked a real beauty with the HB C.I. Looking forward to seeing more.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 03:20:49 AM »
glad the links will help. i had nothing , not even a datafile to go on. so i trudged thru google and found that stuff which had good views of the slatted floor , framing , seat/tank , control panel, etc etc etc. so i saved them. hopefully this will save you some research time by allowing you to blow up those pics rather than have to find pics. good luck. this may inspire me to get back on mine. i am thinking i will scratch the wings as i just dont care for vac wings. if you just use the top its too thin, if you use both top and bott its so hard and time consuming to get them thin enuff. so i figure a thin balsa core wrapped with very thin styrene sheet. i plan on embossing the ribs from the inside surface using this neat tool i found at the art supply store. its kinda like a pen with 4 changable tips that are 4 diff sized steel balls. i tryed on scrap, take the smallest tip and drag along a ruler and you get  a nice embossed rib. good luck on your deadline. but even if you dont make it continue here.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 03:26:22 AM »
Looking great so far, Dan.  The wing 'see through effect' is coming along beautifully.  Have you seen Peter Plattner's build of the same kit?  Thought you might find it interesting.
http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=112210&page=1
Although a challenging kit, it can be built up into a real show stopper, as you can see.  I'm looking forward to watching your progress on this.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 03:47:51 AM »
Great start on a neat looking machine. The paint effects are excellent.

Steve

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 06:13:35 AM »
Hey Guys... :)

I am continually amazed at this group.  Thanks so much for all the info on other builds and the references.  This will help me so much.  Great tips too.

If I actually finish this thing in time, I will be amazed.  Even more so if it is to a certain standard!  Good for the model building muscles, though... ::)

More later,

Dan

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 07:03:16 AM »
You have made an excellent start with this model Dan and what you have done so far is great. I'm looking forward to seeing your next progress photos.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 03:35:23 AM »
All,

Some more on this fast build.  Cockpit done except for a couple of details like seat belts, a transmitter for the back and some ammo drums for the gunner.  Fuselage is together so all is well!

More soon...

Dan

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 04:22:48 PM »
Even more finished tonight.  I got the fuselage spruced up, painted and the engine installed.  I also highlighted the flying surfaces and tails and finally painted on markings all around.  Since this is a rather challenging speed build, I'm trying to see how fast I can go and not have the quality suffer too horribly.  So far, I do think I need to do some touch up on my fuselage crosses but the overall look is ok. 

Tomorrow I'll be forging ahead with the cabanes, bottom wing and maybe begin with some interplanes too.  Only a week left!!!!  :-\

More soon...Dan

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 05:10:26 PM »
Wow this ones moving along very fast. Looks great!!

Steve