Author Topic: Pheon decals  (Read 4989 times)

Offline kinnies

• Biggles flies low
Pheon decals
« on: February 15, 2013, 04:24:16 PM »
Good evening everyone,

I have been modelling in different genres for years, and over that time I have ordered many decals from many companies. For the first time I ordered from Pheon - I wanted 'Black Maria' for my triplane - and all I can say is WOW and thank you, Rowen. The decals are absolutely gorgeous, but what knocked me out were the lovely colour profiles and the amazing booklet - what is it, over 20 pages? - that came with it.

Cheers and thanks.

John

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Re: Pheon decals
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 10:11:28 PM »
Welcome to the club, John. Your words reminded me my very same impressions when, a couple of year ago, I got the first decal set from Rowan - 72nd scale Sopwith Pups. And these impressions are always reviving when I order and get his newer sets. Now I am impatiently waiting for the decals for Hannover Cl.II. And I am sure the wait will be well paid back.  :)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 11:21:28 PM »
My first experience with them are the McKeever decals for my Bristol Fighter. What impressed me most is just how thin they are compared to the Cartograph ones in the kit, and how well they snug down on raised detail. I'm extremely pleased with them and looking forward to using them whenever possible in the future.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 11:26:00 PM »
Couldn't agree more.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 02:15:22 AM »
I'm a die hard fan, John.  Without a doubt, the best decals on the market.  The 1/48 Pup set is the first set I purchased and, like you and Prez, I was completely blown away by the entire package.  It was a few years later when I actually used that sheet and they went on beautifully.  The first set I ever used was the Jasta 40 sheet.  I was so impressed that I bought every 1/48 set available.  I built the Blue Max Dolphin and would have struggled with the top wing placement if it hadn't been for the superb jig that Rowan provided with that set.  When Rowan produced the Oeffag D.III sets, I ordered all 3 plus the Brumowski distribution sheet.  Since then, I've built 2 Eduard Oeffags and, thanks to Rowan, I'll be building at least 4 more.  When you have so many excellent options available to you, it's hard to quit.  Enjoy your stickers, John.  I know you're gonna love 'em.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 02:28:55 AM »
When we finally have a 1/32 OEFFAG Alby, I am sure Rowan will release those sheets in 1/32, and then I will be well and truly broke!  I'm like you Bud---I'll just keep building all of those great A-H Albatros schemes! ;D

Regards,

Bob

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 05:27:56 AM »
I'm envious as regards the Oeffag sheets. I have the Roden 1/72 kits and I fully intend to make a little line up of 153's, but it wouldn't half motivate me if I had Pheon standard decals to work with (I'm right, aren't I? That they don't exist in braille scale?)

Mark

Dekenba

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 06:03:25 AM »
I did exactly the same as you when I got my first set of Pheon decals - started a thread on here!!

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 07:16:04 AM »
 :-[ Thanks so much for your thoughts in the original post, John and to all you other kind people for chiming in. I know it sounds like a cliché (well that's because it is, I spose), but your appreciation really does make a difference!

Off to an early night (10pm here) after a day of Sniping. I taped the tubby fuselage parts together as part of the decal tailoring process this morning and I am completely knocked out by the precision of the kit parts. I think the way that the complex joints around the top of the cowling and the upper fuselage have been dealt with shows some of the very best engineering/design I've yet seen from WNW; quite astonishing!
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 10:54:29 AM »
Rowan, if you ever have time and the inclination, I (and I'm sure all of the Pheon Groupies) would be really interested in seeing a little explanation of what goes into producing a new sheet. Of course, if it's all trade seret stuff, then of course I understand. I just have no clue what is involved for you to turn around what seems to be universally held as the best in the business.

Only if you have time, and I know what a precious commodity that is!

Thanks,

Lindsay

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 12:46:43 PM »
Lindsay,
    Not to hijack your thread however it's great to see this spontaneous endorsement of Rowan and his products. As Bud said earlier, the best on the market, and I've seen a lot of product in, now, half a century of modelling. Great product, wonderful service, and importantly an openess to the customers preferences in producing new products make Pheon a clear winner in the After-Marketplace.
Cheers,
Lance 8)

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 11:42:47 PM »
. . . and importantly an openness to the customers preferences in producing new products make Pheon a clear winner in the After-Marketplace.

I think your last point is the most important Lance. As opposed to other after market producers I've dealt with, Rowan has the business acumen to understand the benefits of maintaining an open line of communication with his customers, despite the drain on his time and patience that it will necessarily incur. Many entrepreneurs don't seem to understand the necessity of this facet of small business success.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 02:03:13 PM »
I taped the tubby fuselage parts together as part of the decal tailoring process this morning and I am completely knocked out by the precision of the kit parts. I think the way that the complex joints around the top of the cowling and the upper fuselage have been dealt with shows some of the very best engineering/design I've yet seen from WNW; quite astonishing!

And mine has yet to arrive, so this is really raising my expectations! I have several sheets of Rowan's handiwork (Biff, SE, Albatros, Sopwith Triplane, "Captured!",  and the Canadian Barker/Fokker sheet to come), so I can echo the positive comments posted here. .

Thanks again, Rowan, and welcome to the Forum, John!
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline SinuheH

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 11:27:54 PM »
I received my Alby decals yesterday - and they are Fantastic - I love the gorgeous profiles and side view printed in luscious colours on heavy duty gloss card - well done Rowan - one ver satisfied customer.

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 11:42:12 PM »
Anybody who hasn't dealt with Rowan yet, I would say please give him a try, excellent service, superb decals and wonderful booklets and colour plates to go with the decals, I would also say if you get the chance to meet him, go and have a chat, a great guy to talk to.

Cheers

Pete.