Author Topic: SUPER GLUE WOES  (Read 3576 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: SUPER GLUE WOES
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2013, 05:32:41 AM »
   I get longer shelf life out of Superglue by storing it in the refridgerator when not in use and by using a simple straight pin as a closure. The screw on plastic caps tend to encourage glue build up in the nozzle area and blockage. The pin will need a pliers removal often but is very effective. In between Builds I use the screw on cap again. As for the storage in the Fridge, make sure it doesn't get used as a garnish or fed to the gold fish! I recently opened a small bottle of "super thin" from the fridge that was labeled 2010, it's just like new.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2013, 06:48:08 AM »
I found a vendor on e-bay that markets  CA in a unique container.
The plastic  screw on top has a metal  "pin" imbedded in it   that  more or less seals seals the matching hole  in the container.
The rest  of the cap seals  it completely.
So,  the tip is always  clear when opening.

All CA should be packaged like this. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 06:52:27 AM by JoeDxMB »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2013, 11:24:11 AM »
I found a vendor on e-bay that markets  CA in a unique container.
The plastic  screw on top has a metal  "pin" imbedded in it   that  more or less seals seals the matching hole  in the container.
The rest  of the cap seals  it completely.
So,  the tip is always  clear when opening.

All CA should be packaged like this.

I have some from Mercury Adhesives with the same cap,  best system however I still manage to get the mating surfaces to "Mate"!
Cheers,
Lance :-[

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2013, 02:00:47 AM »
I swear it has a mind of its own. It unfailingly glues things I don't want it to, while at the same time it never seems to do the job I want it to. Spawn of the devil says I!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2013, 03:26:24 AM »
I am so careful with it, (honest) using just tiny quantities on a piece of brightly coloured card taken from a cereal box with fresh toothpicks and clipped needles. So how do I explain to my wife that the lower sleeve of the beautiful casual shirt she bought me for Christmas last year has a small rock-hard  (and so far unmovable) blob on it?

I was once told by the wife of a senior professional in his field that, at a time when glue-sniffing was becoming a serious issue, he had wanted to get just a very mild sense of what it involved. Sadly he chose a super glue for the experiment and subsequently the tube had to be removed from the end of his nose by a doctor. A case of super glue nose woes?

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Nigel Goodson

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2013, 01:09:11 AM »
Wow , I thought I was the only one with this issue, Chris I think you nailed it. Hell spawn indeed! Now if I could only get this strut un stuck from my forehead ..... :o
"One must first overcome the inner schweinehund"
Manfred Von Richthofen

Offline Silver wings

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2014, 06:13:39 AM »
A refrigerator or freezer to store Super glue is not a good idea since there is too much moisture and warming and freezing gust breaks it down faster. I have been storing my super glue in an empty Olive jar with about an inch of dried silicon powder in the bottom of the jar and kept closed until needed. This procedure absorbs the moisture and I have had some of these glues kept in the jar for up to 2 years. The dried silicon powder is used to dry flowers and can be found at a craft store such as Michaels or other. I have had the original jar of dried silicon for over 25 years and never had to replace. it.

Alec

Offline WillScarlet

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2014, 12:39:58 PM »
           In order to keep the plastic cap from being glued to the nozzle, wipe the nozzle with an acetone soaked rag before putting the cap back on.
As far as the glue hardening inside the nozzle, I've taken to cutting the nozzle down to a depth that really opens up the hole in the nozzle. The only caveat to this method is "It WILL pour out quickly", especially the super thin stuff, but the nozzle hole won't clog.   ;)

Offline ww1buff

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2014, 07:51:11 AM »
I really like the needle idea.  I've been using toothpicks for years and keep modifying the tip to get the drop of super glue to hang at the end.  Very annoying.

One trick that I've been using that seems to work for rigging holes is to drill out the hole a bit to clean out paint, grease, or whatever collects in them.  I use either a .013" or .010" bit.  And use as little glue as possible.   Too much slows down the cure time.

Another tip that I think has already been mentioned is to clean PE with alcohol first.  That also seems to help with sticking.

Joe