Author Topic: FW190 A-6 Border Model 1/35  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Borsos

Re: FW190 A-6 Border Model 1/35
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2024, 04:50:23 AM »
Given the fact that the odd plastic interior resin exterior HPH/Infinity B5a2 Kate in 1:32 costs around 200€, not to mention the additional detail sets they‘re selling, I am quite happy with a high quality injection molded alternative from Border models in 1:35. I got an aircraft carrier (at least the bridge from the Akagi) including the Border Kate for less money  :)
It’s equal with the Fw-190. I decided between the Zoukei Mura A-4 and the Border A-6 for half the price…

When it comes to decals, there‘s „Cut Then Add“, they offer at least decals in 1:35 for the Border Kate:
https://www.ctamodels.com/shop/scale-1-35
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2024, 07:02:35 AM »
Good point Borsos! The price was one of the reasons I choose the Border model FW190 over the Zoukei-Mura one.
I know the ZM is stunning and just filled with details, but it costs ~135€...

The surface details on their Kate looks stunning... Stretched skin effect  ;D
Will also be getting their HE111 and B-17 for sure.

Back on track - I'll let you all see if the kit details are good enough. For now its all unglued while I adjust the weathering to my liking. Going to tone down the dirt in the cockpit a bit and maybe add more to the engine area later.
Parts are matte varnish and a drop of X-22 added to the dials.

Oh forgot to mention - there's no clear parts for the sight... Only grey plastic. I guess I could make my own, but this build is more about having fun and not get bogged down with all the little details.

Next error in the instruction are the missing steps for extended gear legs. You will need parts G34+35. Also the position of the "triangle" around the shock absorber is wrong in the instruction. It ofc needs to be moved up. Sorry I dont recall the names of the parts.

Error
//Ben

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2024, 04:46:07 AM »
Looking good Ben! The cockpit and engine look terrific.

I'd be curious to see how this compares in terms of detail with the new(ish) Revell 1/32 190 as that seems to go for reasonable prices.
Zac in NZ

Offline Borsos

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2024, 06:47:59 AM »
That looks very nice!
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2024, 09:53:54 PM »
Thanks guys  :)

The build has moved forward a bit - trying to get it ready for primer.
Painted and weathered the insides of all panels + fixed the seams.

I replaced the outer guns with brass rods since they were fragile and broke on me many times (managed to wedge a blade into the wing and cut the old ones out).

Fit is mostly good! Many panels coming together in a round shape. With a little pressure the gaps disappears.
I plan to have the cowlings open, so no seam will be visible  :)

Cover on

with a little pressure

//Ben

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2024, 12:11:22 AM »
That is really stunning work! You almost tempt Me to start another scale  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2024, 05:07:58 AM »
That looks terrific, Ben!
Zac in NZ

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2024, 01:20:11 AM »
Fit looks great and your detail painting is excellent.

Steve

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2024, 10:20:33 PM »
Thanks a lot all of you!

Done the last bit of cleanup, primer and some basic pre shading. Did not go crazy with the shading and additional colors this time. I want to try a few post shading techniques on this build  :)

//Ben

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2024, 12:59:17 AM »
Oh my! That is some serious pre-shading. This is going to be gorgeous. 

Offline Davos522

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2024, 12:30:25 PM »
Love watching your process, Ben; ever since seeing that awesome Whiskey Cobra I've been a huge fan of your skills with an airbrush!

Dutch

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2024, 09:40:55 AM »
This is really shaping up!

Steve

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2024, 08:38:34 PM »
Thank you very much for the kind words  :)

My freehand airbrush were a bit rusty, so trying to mottling for the first time was a bit of a experience  ;D

I did get some color on the FW, but let me be the first to say i'm not happy with them.
They just look a bit "Off" to my eye.
The grey are too violet and the green is not black enough.
I made the mistake of using Hataka (orange cap) for the RLM75... And forgot how poor they are at matching colors...
The green is my own mistake - I did not have a RLM74, so mixed one. It looked good on my test, but somehow looks wrong on the model...

So now you will have the pleasure of watching me try to figure out a way to correct it  ;)

Exchanged a few pictures with a friend, to try and find a good way forward. I see 3 options.

1. Order new paints and start over.
2. Overspray some very thinned grey / black to correct the colors.
3. Use oils and filters and try and get what i want.

Option 1 means losing the preshade or having to re prime / strip the paint. It would set me back a few weeks.
Option 2... I could lose some shading, but it's workable and I can post shade the missing details. However I have a history of making more trouble for myself doing this...

Option 3 is what i'm going with this time. The oils etc can be removed or manipulated if I don't like this direction. It seems like a safer option.

Also I choose the A8 scheme even though I don't have correct parts for it... Most noticeable the armor plates around the cockpit.
From the start I decided not to go too much into details and just have fun, so lets see how it turns out  :)

//Ben

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2024, 05:49:53 AM »
The colors look a bit better after decals are on. Guess they help break up the colors a bit.

Hopefully some touch up before varnish and oils can be applied tomorrow  :)

And again - the Border model decals are terrible. Ultra thin and fragile, so you better place them correct first try since they suck down to the surface and are very hard to adjust without damage.
The band on the tail had to be masked and painted since the decal were troublesome. At least it gave me the chance to correct the color to what i wanted - the decal was bright orange.

//Ben

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2024, 01:09:01 AM »
Those colours look good to me. Like you say, maybe the markings help. All in all this looks very good.

Steve