Author Topic: FW190 A-6 Border Model 1/35  (Read 2400 times)

Offline AngryJazz

FW190 A-6 Border Model 1/35
« on: March 02, 2024, 05:51:43 AM »
Hi Guys,

My more relaxed build after the WNW Dolphin. I read a lot of good things about this kit from Border model on LargeScalePlanes, so had to try for myself.
For the price (~50€) you really get a lot of details out of the box - I only added the mask set.
I know the scale Border chose is a little annoying to many people, but it does not matter that much to me. Same with some of the inaccuracies in the kit... I will not correct them. It's just a enjoy the build kit and hopefully it resembles a FW190 in the end  :)

One thing that does annoy me however is the errors in the manual. I found 4 spots so far where parts numbers and left / right were swapped. Managed to catch 3, but 1 inside the wheel well I noticed to late.

If there's some things you really want to see of the build - then just ask! I don't plan on making a really detailed build log. Just a few highlights  ;D

Scheme for the build

//Ben

Offline AngryJazz

Re: FW190 A-6 Border Model 1/35
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 05:54:55 AM »
Catching up - I have built the engine and started the cockpit. Really impressed with the engine out of the box! You could add wires if you wanted  :)
Getting the exhaust into place was really difficult, some touch ups are needed when its installed in the airframe.

//Ben

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 02:37:19 AM »
Really nice looking engine!

Online Davos522

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 06:29:16 AM »
I’ll be really interested to follow along with this, Ben. The Focke-Wulf has always been one of my favorite WWII aircraft, and this one looks to be a beauty (and I have no problem with the scale).

Just as a bit of trivia, IIRC the use of 1:35 for models came about because in the early 1960s Tamiya decided that was the smallest scale they could use to produce their tank kits and still have room for two C/Type 2/U11 batteries to run the electric motor!

Dutch

Offline Borsos

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2024, 07:58:19 PM »
This is a wonderful kit. But be careful: According to Bret Green the markings you‘ve chosen are in fact for an A-8 and do not fit this A-6 model:

https://www.hyperscale.com/2023/reviews/kits/borderbf003reviewbg_1.html

Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2024, 12:12:50 AM »
Hey Ben, this one is shaping up nicely. I have the kit and was wondering if you could shoot me the instructions errors.

Steve

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 06:10:39 AM »
Thank you all - I guess there's a bit more interest for this build than I thought  :)

@Boros - Thanks for the link! Someone else also told me its an A-8 marking... Quite annoying to have the decals in the kit and not the parts  :-\
I may go for the scheme anyways and throw accuracies out the window as the other A-6 markings don't catch my interest...

Very cool Dutch I did not know that!  ;D

For Steve and others ill post a few of the findings. Please check yourself before gluing - if i somehow swapped an part myself by mistake.

Also be aware of the indicated holes to be drilled. Border does not mention what they are for or what scheme they are used for. Rockets, drop tanks etc...

E24 and E25 are switched.
E17 and E18 are switched.

E11 and E12 are switched.

PE8 is wrong... maybe its PE6 but im skipping this part as it will be invisible in the end.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 06:58:52 AM by AngryJazz »
//Ben

Offline WD

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2024, 09:40:35 AM »

Just as a bit of trivia, IIRC the use of 1:35 for models came about because in the early 1960s Tamiya decided that was the smallest scale they could use to produce their tank kits and still have room for two C/Type 2/U11 batteries to run the electric motor!

Dutch

Whether it was for the battery size or not, I cannot say, but it is true that Tamiya-San is the creator of the scale. That much is true.

Ben, it looks like a great kit and that you're having fun.

Warren

Offline Vickers

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2024, 02:04:37 AM »
Enjoy the build! My only issue with the kit is that so far the aftermarket decal industry hasn't produced anything for it and three of the kit's decal options are markings for Fw190A-8 variants. The four options for Hackl, Josten, Priller, and Schott are the only ones on the sheet that are appropriate for an A-6. The decals for Dahl, Lixfeldt, and Moritz were all A-8s and beyond that the latter two were the heavily armed and armored 190A-8r2 subvariant.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2024, 07:15:55 AM »
Border Model has been pumping out kits in this scale so I'm very excited and curious to see this come together. So far it looks fantastic (decal and part number errors aside)!
Zac in NZ

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2024, 12:19:42 PM »
Great start on a Beautiful kit in what some of us think of as a Strange scale. If one is doing a diorama with vehichles in the same scale perhaps it makes sense. That being said your work looks terrific!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2024, 05:46:37 PM »
Thank you Warren, Vickers, Zac and RAGIII  :)

Im getting close to be able to weather and close the cockpit, so hopefully a picture or 2 tonight.

As for decals I unfortunately found a few more issues when applying the instruments...

Decals are printed off center. So on the dial is on the edge of the carrier film on one side - clear film on the other.
Some dials have a green, yellow or blue background meant to represent the rim of the instrument.... Yes these are also printed off center of the dials. Making it 3 elements (dial, background, carrier film) slightly off center from each other.
Furthermore the instruments are poorly detailed - some are just black and white dots. Decals are also very matte in finish.
And just to make it worse - they are very brittle. I had 2 dials float / break apart just sitting on the paper (I dip the decals for 10 sec and place them on a piece of paper to slowly release).

Only good thing is they settle down nicely since they are so thin.

Enough rambling... I would recommend upgrading with aftermarket for the cockpit  :-\

I have the Border Models 1/35 Nakajima B5N2 Type 97 "Kate" on order, so interested to see if there's any improvements.

I would like to point out that im still enjoying the kit. Fit and details make it very worth while to work with the smaller issues  :)
//Ben

Offline Borsos

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2024, 08:30:29 PM »
What about a very rich man releasing WW1 kits in 1:35 scale suddenly… Wouldn’t 1:35 be a perfect scale for WW1 biplanes…  :)
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2024, 08:40:10 PM »
For me the 1/35 scale makes sense and I like it. Just a little smaller than 1/32 - but suddenly I have many more figures, vehicles and diorama stuff available to me  :)
AND I can use all the stuff for my 1/35 tank builds also!

But maybe im a little biased since I have only been modeling for a few years and never 1/32 before Wingnut Wings.
//Ben

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2024, 12:44:57 AM »
So far it doesn't look like the aftermarket has shown any love for 1/35 a/c decal-wise. Some HGW, Eduard, Quinta details but nothing to correct the shape problems - (Ju 87 prop, 109 canopy) I'm not sure of the process but surely the 10% reduction in size of the multitude of Fw190, Bf109G decal sheets out there can't be too difficult. Would the release of some be mutually beneficial? Border, Takom etc. seem to have connections with various paint companies, why not decal companies?...is anyone out there listening....

Steve