Author Topic: Completed - Aviattic Pfalz DVIII test build  (Read 3521 times)

Offline gedmundson

Re: Completed - Aviattic Pfalz DVIII test build
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2024, 09:05:45 AM »
See here for the latest info: https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=14288.0

Hello Nigel - thanks for posting the link to your build description. You speak of using two-part epoxy glue during the construction of the model (around the wing joints and fuselage). Could you tell me what brand or type you used for this?
Cheers,
Gary

Offline NigelR

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2024, 07:18:58 PM »
Hello Nigel - thanks for posting the link to your build description. You speak of using two-part epoxy glue during the construction of the model (around the wing joints and fuselage). Could you tell me what brand or type you used for this?

I used Araldite Rapid: https://www.go-araldite.com/en/araldite-rapid-strength-24ml

This is very popular in the UK, not sure if it is available internationally. But any fast drying two-part epoxy would work.

The one big thing about the Pfalz kit I will emphasize is spend time dry fitting the fuselage halves to the lower wing. I had to do quite a lot of fettling on the fuselage wing roots and the wing roots on the lower wing but I was able to achieve a great fit. It did mean I had to do a bit of filling on the underside but the fit between the fuselage and wings was perfect. This also ensures you don't create any anhedral on the lower wing, which is very delicate.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2024, 11:29:56 PM »

I used Araldite Rapid: https://www.go-araldite.com/en/araldite-rapid-strength-24ml

This is very popular in the UK, not sure if it is available internationally. But any fast drying two-part epoxy would work.

The one big thing about the Pfalz kit I will emphasize is spend time dry fitting the fuselage halves to the lower wing. I had to do quite a lot of fettling on the fuselage wing roots and the wing roots on the lower wing but I was able to achieve a great fit. It did mean I had to do a bit of filling on the underside but the fit between the fuselage and wings was perfect. This also ensures you don't create any anhedral on the lower wing, which is very delicate.

Ah, thanks for that Nigel - I've never used two-part epoxy to cement a model together, and see that there are various setting times. The 5-minute type will do then. And thanks for the heads-up on the fit - Richard touches on that in his instruction booklet.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2024, 09:29:30 AM »
Gary,
    I've been using Canadian Tire bought "Lepage" Brand for years on main structural joints (Like struts and wing to fuselage joints) for years. It gives you 5-10 minutes of adjustment time, is inexpensive, and always available  It's labelled as Speed Set Epoxy and once set is a truly "welded " joint. Be cautious, it can tend to expand on curing so don't overdo it!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2024, 12:41:13 AM »
Gary,
    I've been using Canadian Tire bought "Lepage" Brand for years on main structural joints (Like struts and wing to fuselage joints) for years. It gives you 5-10 minutes of adjustment time, is inexpensive, and always available  It's labelled as Speed Set Epoxy and once set is a truly "welded " joint. Be cautious, it can tend to expand on curing so don't overdo it!
Cheers,
Lance

Thanks for that Lance - the stuff I'd always had on hand I believe was Lepage, and I've used it for bonding the odd household item back together...and hated the smell of it as it cured! Such messy stuff to work with. Looks like I'm all set.
Cheers,
Gary

Online RAGIII

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2024, 06:32:26 AM »
That is an Outstanding build! The kit really seems to be First Class all around. Your building skills just made it that much better!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler