Author Topic: Completed - Aviattic Pfalz DVIII test build  (Read 3524 times)

Offline NigelR

Completed - Aviattic Pfalz DVIII test build
« on: November 15, 2023, 12:59:30 AM »
I've completed the test build of the Pfalz DVIII for Aviattic. This was shown on their stand at Telford last weekend, and it was right down to the wire getting it done in time, because the test lozenge decals were very late in arriving (they came on the Monday before I had to leave for the show at 9am on Friday of the same week....). So the weathering on this is very light because there wasn't time to allow it to dry before I had to do final assembly and rigging. Also, Aviattic does a lovely set of resin turnbuckles for this kit which I had no time to use. Although I had the lozenge decals for the wings, the screen printed decal sheet has not yet been finalized so I had to scrounge the balkankreuz from the spares box. I cut down some Fokker DVII crosses which means the white border is a bit too wide. I also had to mask and spray the fleur de-lys (which will be included as a decal in the kit) which was a real challenge for me as I HATE masking  >:( But it's turned out OK.

There are some build lines evident in some of the photos on the fuselage, wings and cowl. These parts are cast in resin from a 3D printed master and Richard wasn't happy with the quality of the 3D master, so it was cleaned up before the resin parts went to final production. I saw the the revised parts at Telford at the weekend and I couldn't see any evidence of build lines.

This is a lovely kit, it requires care building but there are no major issues. I'm looking forward to getting my "real" version.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 01:19:07 AM by NigelR »

Offline Davos522

Re: Completed - Aviattic Pfalz DVIII test build
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2023, 01:36:18 AM »
Wow! What a beauty! You did a fantastic job getting this project completed under the time constraints involved.

The kit is completely amazing... I'm sure seeing your build of it sold more than a few of them at Telford. Richard must have been pretty happy!

Dutch
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 02:22:26 PM by Davos522 »

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2023, 01:50:58 AM »
I have already commented elsewhere, it is a beauty! I am interested if any other scheme will beat this lily in the green.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline NigelR

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2023, 03:13:46 AM »
Wow! What a beauty! You did an amazing job getting this kit completed under the time constraints involved.

The kit is completely out of my price range, but I'm sure seeing your build of it sold more than a few of them at Telford. Richard must have been pretty happy!
I was pretty stressed last week, there was no time to correct any errors if I got anything wrong. I broke two struts late on Wednesday night when I was trying to get the wing on which I thought might prove fatal but they were actually easy to fix. I think it did help on the day and I was keen to help out as we want to keep these boutique guys going.

I have already commented elsewhere, it is a beauty! I am interested if any other scheme will beat this lily in the green.
Yes, thanks :D I think the Jasta 29 plane with the comet marking is even cooler than this one, but there are a lot of interesting schemes to choose from.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 10:03:22 PM by NigelR »

Offline DaveB

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2023, 03:20:26 AM »
Might be a test build, but it sure does look great work to me - nice to see a more unusual aircraft as well.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2023, 06:11:19 AM »
Bravo Nigel! The end results betray nothing of the hassles and stresses you had in building it.
Zac in NZ

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2023, 07:42:09 AM »
Very, very nice build on a beautiful looking model, Nigel. Congrats on getting it to the show on time!
Cheers,
Gary

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2023, 09:27:10 AM »
Just lovely work and a really neat plane.  The colors are nice and the lozenge is amazing.  I'm sure you have all seen this, but just in case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfPvy_4M3Hg

It's also probably the closest thing to a real Siemens Schuckert D-III/IV too!

Nice job...Dan

Offline NigelR

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2023, 07:49:46 PM »
Thanks Dave, Zac and Gary, much appreciated. I'm looking forward to building the one I have bought so I can spend a bit more time on ot.....

Just lovely work and a really neat plane.  The colors are nice and the lozenge is amazing.  I'm sure you have all seen this, but just in case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfPvy_4M3Hg

Thanks Dan, I was all over Mikael Carlson's page, that aircraft is amazing. Mikael was kind enough to help Richard with his research, so he provided much valuable information as the kit was being developed. So many thanks to Mikael!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2023, 05:06:10 AM »
Not to detract from the Pfalz talk but we have a terrific full-scale, Gnome Mono-powered SS D.IV replica here in NZ (not part of Sir Peter Jackson's stable) and it reminds me a lot of the D.VIII - it's like a Great War version of the FW190!! A beast that rocks and rolls with barely-restrained power at ground idle and is spectacular to see and hear.
Zac in NZ

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2023, 02:08:53 AM »
Beautiful work!

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2023, 04:46:34 PM »
Not to detract from the Pfalz talk but we have a terrific full-scale, Gnome Mono-powered SS D.IV replica here in NZ (not part of Sir Peter Jackson's stable) and it reminds me a lot of the D.VIII - it's like a Great War version of the FW190!! A beast that rocks and rolls with barely-restrained power at ground idle and is spectacular to see and hear.

Hey Zac!  I think I actually saw that machine when it was in the States way back in the mid 1980s at Oshkosh. I think it was a replica by Carl Swanson.  I didn't get to see it fly, but it looked so cool and also looked to have a built in turn-over-on-landing vibe!  Really short-coupled.  You are lucky to see that sucker take to the air even without the SH engine!  Cool...

Sorry to hijack the thread.  Exceptional model as I said!   ;)

Dan

Dan

Offline Borsos

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2023, 09:29:56 PM »
Looks fantastic. I don’t regret having preordered one despite of the price.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2023, 08:14:48 AM »
A true show stopper. Well done!

Steve

Offline NigelR

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2023, 06:41:51 PM »
Thanks Andreas and Steve, much appreciated. Andreas, you will enjoy this one  :)