Author Topic: New Quinta Studio's Lozenge Camouflage Decals  (Read 1937 times)

Offline rfindley

New Quinta Studio's Lozenge Camouflage Decals
« on: July 20, 2023, 06:26:10 AM »
Anyone used these yet?  Wondering if the colors are close and how they handle.  They are described as thin and semi-transparent.

Offline Brian James Riedel

Re: New Quinta Studio's Lozenge Camouflage Decals
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2023, 07:12:14 AM »
Photos on Hobbynut Models website look promising.

Brian Riedel

Offline WD

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2023, 12:21:35 AM »
Photos on Hobbynut Models website look promising.

Brian Riedel

They certainly do!

Warren

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023, 10:38:41 AM »
The Quinta studio’s lozenge decals are quite nice.  The colors look realistic to me. The film is
 resilient and conforms to contours well. The decals themselves are very transparent. Definitely need to place them over a glossy white surface. My only issue is if you want to cut lozenge color rib tapes, they don’t look right because of the transparency ( they turn very dark). If Quinta printed them on a white backing sheet it would be better. I don’t think it’s a problem if you want to use colored rib tapes. None of the other brand decals I have matched color to use as ribbing.
Here’s a link to my 1/72 Hannover build which details my trials with them:
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=13661.0

Offline Davos522

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023, 11:13:43 AM »
Amazing work, Tim... I remember building that kit as a kid. Yours turned out a bit better... :-D

Dutch

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2023, 10:56:14 AM »
Thank you Tim, it's invaluable to see these decals in action.
Zac in NZ

Offline RedLeader1

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2024, 11:39:45 AM »
I find them a very nice bit of work.
Unconfirmed by Armee means unconfirmed. . .

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2024, 11:48:53 AM »
Nice work Stephen on those wings! Tell me, what do you think of the accuracy of the colours? They look good to my eye but i'd be interested in your thoughts.

Also, what are they like to trim / cut? How do they react to setting solutions? I always liked the old Eagle Strike lozenge decals for their opacity, ability to settle really nicely with setting solutions, and being very easy to trim once dry. I have found the more modern lozenge decals to be quite 'stretchy' and difficult to cut and trim from trailing edges.

Cheers,

BC

Offline WD

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2024, 10:54:42 PM »
My only issue is if you want to cut lozenge color rib tapes, they don’t look right because of the transparency ( they turn very dark). If Quinta printed them on a white backing sheet it would be better. I don’t think it’s a problem if you want to use colored rib tapes. None of the other brand decals I have matched color to use as ribbing.
Here’s a link to my 1/72 Hannover build which details my trials with them:
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=13661.0

Tim, apologies for being late in replying to this, but William Adair cut out white rib tapes to put under his lozenge rib tapes on a recent scratch-built Pfalz in 1/144th. That's certainly a possible solution in 1/72nd and larger, no?

Warren

Offline RedLeader1

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2024, 03:21:05 AM »
Nice work Stephen on those wings! Tell me, what do you think of the accuracy of the colours? They look good to my eye but i'd be interested in your thoughts.

Also, what are they like to trim / cut? How do they react to setting solutions? I always liked the old Eagle Strike lozenge decals for their opacity, ability to settle really nicely with setting solutions, and being very easy to trim once dry. I have found the more modern lozenge decals to be quite 'stretchy' and difficult to cut and trim from trailing edges.
Cheers,
BC

Quinta's QL48001 5 clr upper surface lozenge camouflage applied to Roden Fokker D.VII wings. Without a clear over coat these can fold over quickly. But even without a clear over coat these are remarkable tough and easily stretch. SOL & SET are recommended, and These colors compare well Mirage, Wood & Wire Microsculpt and the old Eagle Strike set. The darker or lighter you paint the wings before applying these decals tells the tale on your outcome. When dry if there is an overlap, I use my thumb nail to press against the edges and then a sharp # 11 blade to cut the excess away. I used clear gloss on a light grey plastic here. A-.

By the way an easy way to counter the translucent look of rib tapes getting too dark, is to lay down light grey or cream-colored rib tapes first.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 04:01:05 AM by RedLeader1 »
Unconfirmed by Armee means unconfirmed. . .