Author Topic: 1/32 Nieuport 27 E.1 N.8655 #363 "Old Doc Yak"  (Read 12488 times)

Offline rhallinger

1/32 Nieuport 27 E.1 N.8655 #363 "Old Doc Yak"
« on: January 31, 2013, 02:58:21 PM »
Hi all!  This will be my next project once the Lloyd C.V is finished:

The above rear cover of "Over the Front," Vol. 27, No. 4 (Winter 2012), contains the relevant historical data: this Ni. 27 was the personal aircraft of Lt. Quentin Roosevelt (son of U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt) while he was serving as a flight instructor for USAS pilots at Issoudun, France, in the Spring of 1918.  I love the CDL color of this plane, and the star cockades, white tail/rudder with the stylized "QR" logo, and the comic strip charachter Old Doc Yak on the fuselage sides.  The top wing apparently bore a large "American Shield" and huge white wings, in addition to the star cockades.  Lt. Roosevelt's letters indicate that his crew painted the aircaft up as a surprise for him, and he described it as looking like "a Liberty Bond ad."  He reportedly adored this aircraft.  The sad postscript to this tale is that Lt. Roosevelt was killed in aerial combat on July 14, 1918, while flying a Nieuport 28 with the 95th Aero Squadron (that will be a model for the future). 

I plan to use the Roden kit of the Nieuport 27c1, shown here with aftermarket USAS Cockade decals which I will use:

I plan to make decals for the Old Doc Yak artwork on the copy machine at work, using blank decal stock.  I will have to imagineer the top wing American shield and white wings, as there are no known photos, only QR's written description.  I'm thinking something along the lines of the Great Seal of the U.S., at least the shield and wings. 

Does anyone have any information on the differences between the Nieuport 27c1 and 27 E.1?  I have consulted my Nieuport references and searched online but cannot find anything.  The aircraft appear to be very similar visually.  Any help would be appreciated. :)

It will be a little while until I get this one started, but I wanted to throw  my oar in the water anyway.

Regards,

Bob     

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: 1/32 Nieuport 27 E.1 N.8655 #363 "Old Doc Yak"
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 03:28:11 PM »
Good choice Bob, I have this same Roden kit in my stash so I will be watching your build very closely. I don't have any information on what you are asking but I'm sure someone will be able to help you out, that is a very interesting scheme and will look really good.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 04:32:48 PM »
I'll watch with interest. After getting burnt on the Rodn Tripe I've often been tempted to pick a Nieup up but shied away.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 10:08:53 PM »
  Bob,
Love seeing these little kites in USAS markings! I'm looking forward to following your Nieuport project my old friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 11:13:08 PM »
Me too, I have the 24bis on the shelf, vying for next in line status, so I will be very interested in seeing how this goes together. Interesting scheme choice too.

Cheers,

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 11:22:49 PM »
Looking forward to seeing this livery in all her glory - good choice, Bob.  :)

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline mgunns

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 11:52:18 PM »
I started the 24 last year and will be pulling it out hopefully to finish it up this year.  I too will be watching wth interest how how you do this and your thoughts regarding the kit.  I know it is doable, but will test your modeling prowess.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 03:52:01 AM »
Great minds think alike, Bob!  As soon as I got my OTF, I pulled out my Karaya Nie.27 and started making plans to do just what you're doing.  I'm really looking forward to following your progress on this build.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 04:51:40 AM »
Thanks to all commentators. :)  I think this will be a fun subject, and there are several good photos of the bird in the OTF article noted above.  Unfortunately, no photos exist of the top of the upper wing according to the article. 

Bud, so glad you're doing the same in smaller scale! :D  Maybe we can pool information, particularly on the difference (if any) between the Nie. 27c1 and the Nie. 27 E.1.  What version is your Karaya kit?  I have been unable to find much technical information on the E.1 version.  Maybe it was just a designator for a trainer version with some upgraded mechanical systems or a different engine.  I'm not going to worry about it too much for now, since the versions appear to be rather identical on the exterior, but maybe I'll pose the question over at the Aerodrome site and let those guys chew on it awhile. ;) 

The one thing we won't likely find much on is the "American shield" and white wing markings on the upper wing surface.  What's your take on that?  I did a google search for Liberty Bond posters, since QR referenced them in describing the paint scheme, but there really wasn't anything that jumped out at me.  I thought about the later Army Air Corps winged cockade, but that has yellow wings, and QR definately drew a distinction between the cockades on the upper wing and the "American shield."  The Great Seal of the U.S., on the back of the current $1 bill was my leading candidate for awhile, since it has a shield with stars and stripes and the Eagle wings, but my research has indicated that the Great Seal was not used on the back of U.S. paper currency from 1914-1918. :(  I suspect I'll end up doing some sort of shield shape with a stars and stripes motif, centered on the top wing, with the white wings extending outwards toward the cockades.  I'll keep you posted if I come up with anything else.  The good news is that neither of us can really be wrong! ;D

I won't be starting actual construction of this project (assuming I can restrain myself) until the Lloyd is finished, so probably inj March sometime.

Regards,

Bob   

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 05:03:02 AM »
Great choice, I'll be looking forward to seeing this too.  Especially your design for the top wing. Having built this kit (a wartime Italian scheme) I'll be interested to see how you fit it together. Don't expect miracles...  ;) 

Mark

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 05:22:51 AM »
Hey Mark!  Thanks!  Is your Italian version posted anywhere here on the forum (or elsewhere)?  I'd love to see it.  I like that version too, for the distant future. ;)

From multiple comments here, it sounds like this might be a challenging build. :)  I've managed (with only a reasonable amount of swearing and sweating) to piece together a couple of Roden DR1s and an Alby D.III, so I will do my best with this Gallic swan. ;)

Regards,

Bob

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 02:13:24 AM »
Hi Bob, to be honest the build isn't too detailed, but such as it is you can see it over on the GWITA forum in the recently finished Nieuport Group Build (Can't quite get my head around posting a build in more than one forum, though I know several people do it - must do one here soon!). The pics of the finished article (a scene with chickens) are in the 'completed builds' thread there. Low point for me was failing to spot that my undercarriage was a bit lopsided, though we always notice faults before anyone else does, don't we? Best result was with the homemade decals, I was proud of them. You're doing the same, aren't you? If you can, I would say use a laser printer. I have an inkjet and you have to take great care to avoid some ink run.

I absolutely wouldn't want to put you off the kit! I like the type, it's a very attractive one, and Roden's effort does look the part. If there's one moment to look out for, I would say it's when you try to put together that metal frame in the cockpit, the one which carries an instrument. I can't help feeling that particular procedure could have been designed better. I ended up having to butcher it. But it's not really visible once you seal it all up. It just irks, knowing I messed it up... ;) Oh, and another thing - you'll want to do a lot of shaving of the inside of the cowling.

Mark

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 03:04:43 AM »
Thanks for your tips Mark.  I'll check out your bird at the other site.  I look forward to seeing those homemade markings. :D

Your experience with this kit sounds similar to my experiences with the other ones.  Lots of test fitting, sanding and making sure things work before committing the glue!  I've also noticed that Roden's landing gear attachment points can sometimes be problematic in terms of getting the durned things to sit level, so I'm still working on that issue.  I'm already nervous about those tiny little stub plastic pins to connect the lower wings to the fuselage.  Looks like they may need to be replaced by some heavier brass rod.  As always, it will be an adventure! 

Regards,

Bob

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 06:10:46 AM »
Enjoy the build. She looks like an interesting bird. Give Roden credit - they ventured into the French machines!!

Steve

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 06:24:21 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing how you do the decals Bob. Please be sure to give us an indepth account.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.