Author Topic: Sopwith 5F.1 Dolphin, CSM 1/48  (Read 2544 times)

Offline FAf

Sopwith 5F.1 Dolphin, CSM 1/48
« on: April 21, 2023, 09:35:22 PM »
Hello again!

New model, my third CSM in a row when it comes to WWI-related stuff. This time it's the Sopwith Dolphin.

First some pictures of the contents... all of which look as good as I've come to expect.

There are some ejector marks that I think will be visible later, so they were sanded away.

Excellent PE-parts to enhance the cockpit and the radiators.

/Fredrik

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
Re: Sopwith 5F.1 Dolphin, CSM 1/48
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2023, 03:03:00 AM »
Looking very nice on the interior.  That photo etch seat is pretty realistic looking. 

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2023, 06:30:57 AM »
Another masterpiece on the way Fredrik!

What are you using for the turnbuckle tubes?

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2023, 07:03:15 AM »
I have to say I've never been a fan of the Dolphin but in your hands I'm excited to follow along with this build. It looks like a great kit and already you've made a terrific start!
Zac in NZ

Offline RichieW

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2023, 08:30:49 AM »
Great stuff, Fredrik is on a roll with another project. I'm looking forward to seeing how this quirky little Sopwith comes together. Who am I kidding? I know it's going to be a masterpiece!

Richie

Offline FAf

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2023, 04:23:01 AM »
Thanks for your support guys!

Tim - for once I was quite pleased with the photoetch seat. It's probably quite enough down that pit.

Guy - Turnbuckle tubes are very short lengths cut from Albion Alloys 0.5 mm brass tube. I cheated in the beginning and used brass coloured ones, but then I pulled myself together and blackened them using a MIG burnishing liquid.

Zac - Not quite sure I'm that much of a fan either. Maybe this build will convert us?!

Richie - Thanks for your vote of confidence. No pressure then... :D

Slow progress the last week. I've been busy revising high school maths with my son, not quite my area of expertise...

I've been looking at what I've done so far and I need some input before I move on. In the picture below you can see the upper fuel tank behind the wood coloured board behind where the pilot's head will be. I'm wondering if that circular area actually is the metal end of the tank? It looks like it in this picture at the WNW site (which I can't seem to show directly here). Any ideas here?http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/v98C7274C/www/products/model_kitsets/32073/archive_photos/Sopwith%20factory%20photograph%20showing%20interior%20detail%20(138).jpg

Offline RichieW

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2023, 06:25:24 AM »
Hi Fredrik, it looks very like the end of the fuel tank. In the WNW site photo there are little recesses cut in the wooden surround at the top and bottom. The oval shape has a protruding lip round the edge which to me suggests a welded and riveted metal join at the edge.

Richie

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2023, 09:33:10 PM »
Quite a nice level of detail for a 1/48 kit.  You're pulling it off, too!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2023, 01:14:55 AM »
Your construction, details, and painting are looking Fantastic Fredrik!  After looking at the photo I went through the WNW directions to see what they recommended as for color. The Only reference I found in the instructions was a line pointing to the back saying it was the fuel tank and the color call out was Battleship Grey. Pretty vague for WNW.
RAGIII
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 01:20:49 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline FAf

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2023, 02:15:33 AM »
Good to see that you support my hunch, Richie, and with fancy words like 'protruding lip' as well. 😄

Thanks Ken! There's some more detailing on the way...

Strange isn't it, Rick?! There's actually no painting reference at all for the front side in the WNW instructions.

But, all in all I think I'll go for metal instead of wood. There doesn't seem to be a point in having that recess if both areas were wood anyway.
/Fredrik

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2023, 02:39:48 AM »
Good to see that you support my hunch, Richie, and with fancy words like 'protruding lip' as well. 😄

Strange isn't it, Rick?! There's actually no painting reference at all for the front side in the WNW instructions.

But, all in all I think I'll go for metal instead of wood. There doesn't seem to be a point in having that recess if both areas were wood anyway.
/Fredrik

I just checked My build log of the WNW kit. It seems I chose to do mine like you are planning:

I didn't read My log but someone must have given Me that suggestion  ::)

RAGIII

Offline FAf

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2023, 06:39:54 AM »
Nice looking Dolphin, Rick!

I changed to Dark Battleship Grey instead and added some piping to the cockpit area. I can now paint the instrument panel and fix some other things, but will then have to wait until I get my new machine guns and some instrument decals. Yes, I have cheated in the areas that aren't visible later and I see that I've lost the handle on the synchronisation pump.

/Fredrik

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2023, 06:45:29 AM »
Good choice on the color for the tank end Fredrik! Looking sharp !
RAGIII

Offline RichieW

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2023, 10:17:36 PM »
I like the very sensible idea of cheating in areas that won't be visible later. The visible parts of the interior look great, the photo etch wicker seat works well in 1/48. Hope the guns and instrument decals turn up soon.

Richie

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2023, 05:55:53 PM »
Nice work on the interior!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.