Author Topic: Sopwith 5F.1 Dolphin, CSM 1/48  (Read 2681 times)

Offline FAf

Re: Sopwith 5F.1 Dolphin, CSM 1/48
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2023, 02:04:13 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement, Rick, Richie and Przemo.

Maths, physics and other stuff out the way and my own work winding down as we are approaching the end of the school year here in Sweden. Less work means more time for building models and some things have happened with the Dolphin.

There's a premium boxing available in which there is chequered machine as one build option. I don't have that boxing so I decided to paint the missing elements. In hindsight I should have spent a bit more time and effort getting the dimensions perfect. But I'll live with it this time. So below you see three stages of painting squares...

There are no pictures, but there's colour on the fuselage and wings and the painting of the markings is underway.

/Fredrik

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2023, 04:20:18 AM »
The Checkerboard Markings came out Great! Awesome work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2023, 04:34:38 AM »
Nice work on a difficult masking project. 

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2023, 09:44:48 PM »
Very nice detailing in the interior (it's a shame it will be hard to see) and you're off to a nice start on the exterior.

Offline FAf

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2023, 04:01:08 AM »
Thanks Rick, Tim and Ken!

Normally I would have started again on the chequerboard, given that the rows and columns aren't very consistent. But the more I look at it, the less it bothers me and not redoing it might be the sane thing to do...

Ken, you're absolutely right about the interior. I just hope that some of it will be visible through that opening in the top wing.

And on the subject of non-visible items... I might have bought the resin engine from CSM for this kit, although I'm planning to close the cowling... probably not the sane thing to do. ::)

Some more progress... engine parts, engine installed and then hidden...

All markings painted and ready for some rib detail to be added.

/Fredrik

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2023, 04:11:44 AM »
The interior looks terrific as does the paining and markings! Very Well done Fredrik!
RAGIII

Offline RichieW

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2023, 05:02:13 AM »
I think the chequerboard  pattern looks fine, definitely worth keeping and preserving your sanity.

The engine looks lovely, possibly hiding it isn't the most sane option but then not making the details you enjoy making whether they will be seen or not is even less sane in my opinion.

Your painted markings look superb, definitely you are in full possession of your sanity! :)

Richie

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2023, 10:27:07 AM »
That is just beautiful!   Nice work. 

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2023, 06:27:30 PM »
Great colour scheme, the checkerboard looks so appealing.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2023, 09:52:18 PM »
Good work there. 
You may consider an adjustment to the checkerboard pattern by masking the last row to the same width as the other rows and then painting green to 'shorten' the last row of checkers.
On the engine, I sometimes work on an engine just to see what I can do with it, even if it just gets covered up later.  Good practice.

Offline FAf

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2023, 11:53:39 PM »
Good work there. 
You may consider an adjustment to the checkerboard pattern by masking the last row to the same width as the other rows and then painting green to 'shorten' the last row of checkers.
On the engine, I sometimes work on an engine just to see what I can do with it, even if it just gets covered up later.  Good practice.

Ken, that could be an idea. However, according to CSM's profile of this aircraft, the last row should be longer... That doesn't necessarily mean that it's correct, but good enough for me this time. Also, thanks for making me feel good about hiding the engine. 😀 And thank you, everyone else, for your support.
/Fredrik

Offline FAf

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2023, 09:06:35 PM »
So, small steps forward...

I started this model with the intention not to buy after market details and to make it a quick build. Then I tried to drill out the Vickers guns, botched it and thought 'Why not buy nice new ones from Gaspatch?'. They arrived and it turned out that there was a slight difference in size between the CSM and Gaspatch versions...

So, back to rescuing the original machine guns using different drill bits and brass tubing.

Some slight shading added to the wings and fuselage. Now a few days off and then pre rigging, I suppose.

And here's a small hint towards my next project...

Take care!
Fredrik

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2023, 10:33:01 PM »
That’s quite a size difference between the Gaspatch and the CSM Vickers guns. 

I’d guess your next project is an RE.8?

« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 11:50:40 AM by Tim Mixon »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2023, 05:34:50 AM »
Excellent save on the CSM Vickers! I have noticed that sometimes the 1/32nd scale versions can't be easily used in some aircraft! The Model is really taking shape now and I look forward to the next update!
RAGIII

Offline FAf

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2023, 04:28:37 PM »
That’s quite a size difference between the Gaspatch and the CSM Vickers guns. 

I’d guess your next project is an RE.8?

Yes, quite difficult to see them as the same scale. I don't know which is more correct, but it's clear that the kit is engineered around the smaller guns included.

And you are of course correct, Tim! There's an R.E.8 on the horizon.

Excellent save on the CSM Vickers! I have noticed that sometimes the 1/32nd scale versions can't be easily used in some aircraft! The Model is really taking shape now and I look forward to the next update!
RAGIII

Thanks for your support, Rick!
/Fredrik