Author Topic: Airfix DH4 with Blue Rider DH9 conversion, and Pegasus DH4 double build  (Read 10555 times)

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
Nice work Ian.  Those interiors are really coming along well. 

Offline IanB

Many thanks Fredrik, Rick, and Tim. Much appreciated, and I'm glad you're enjoying the builds!
This last week has been pretty busy workwise, and the next week looks to be similar, but I have managed some work on these.

The last few days has seen the addition of most of the interior detail, or at least most of what I'm going to add before painting. The side panels were plywood so I want to paint those before adding the supporting structure.

Here's the 9:

The forward upright is the aft limit of the plywood. Since I use CDL for the base for my wood painting, everything will be painted CDL and then the rear parts that will remain that colour will be masked off to paint the woodwork. The upright ribs forward of that point will be painted separately and added later so that I can get a smooth panel underneath them.

The same for the 4:

Today then was paint day!

Additional parts also painted include a couple of pilot's seats, the inside of the gun ring bases that have just been made, and some plastic rod for the forward formers.

I also sprayed a light tell-tale coat over the outside of the DH4 forward cockpit to see what extra work may be needed.

There's some minor tidying up to do including a little filling and sanding but overall I'm pretty happy with that.
That's where they sit at the moment. I want to ensure that the paint dries properly before adding the wood tones so that may be in a few days.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Oh yes, it’s getting exciting now! Wonderful work Ian!
Zac in NZ

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
Great work on these tiny rascals Ian. It's really fun to follow these kit bash builds.

;D

Willem

Offline RAGIII

Awesome work Ian! It looks like you are holding True to your word, Not Much of the original kits will be used  ::)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline WD

It's coming along quite nicely now, you're a far braver man than I!

Warren

Offline IanB

Thanks everyone!

Blimey, I knew it had been a while but I'd not realised how long since I'd last posted.
I haven't been totally idle, although the pace has been very slow. However, today I had a good session at the bench, mainly of the 9.
So what have I been doing?

When I last posted I was just starting the internal woodwork. Most of that has since been finished, at least as far as the fuselage sides is concerned.

My usual method of a thinned down brushed coat of "leather" over the base CDL (radome tan or similar will do) then clear orange.
I then added the structural members which had been left off to ensure that the fuselage didn't look patchy and added bracing using fine steel wire.

You'll notice that he tops of a couple of the structural members are stripped back a bit. That was due to them being a little proud of the horizontal parts so I gently chamfered them back with a sharp scalpel blade and will repaint them when I finish the rest of the internals.

After that it was down to finishing of the internal fittings. My main reason for delaying was not being sure how to go about the 9s bomb bays. I then remembered the Wingnut Wings site and looked there. Issue resolved so on with cutting!

This stencil was cut from the plans and stuck to the underside, then the panels were marked with a sharp number 11 blade.

I started with the radiator position
This was after the hole was cut

Obviously a lot of refining required there, so out with the jewelers files and scalpel blades. Much scraping and filing later and we had this

That will do! The other side was matched up and the bomb bays, bomb sight, and control cable access holes were done the same way. Bomb bays have been lined with .5mm card and it all seems to match up nicely! 

The small piece at the top is for the rear bays and will be added to the back of the front bay once its all painted.

The last major internal part for the 4 was the fuel tank, of which only the lower part will be seen so I didn't put too much effort into it!

The camera hatch at the rear of the 9 had a sliding cover so that will be added with plastic card once the halves are joined, I still need to drill a hole for the camara on the 4 but that may wait until the fuselage halves are joined.

Now I need to paint that lot and fit the seats, controls, and any other internal detail I think will be needed. I'm not going to add control cables, but not sure yet whether to add camaras.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Offline lone modeller

Lots of superb internal details there Ian. The interior colours look very realistic. I had no idea that the 9 had an internal bomb bay as I thought that all ordnance was carried externally.

Stephen.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
An excellent update, thanks for sharing Ian!
Zac in NZ

Offline RichieW

So much intricate work done so neatly. There's a lot of research and fine modelling going into this Ian. I don't recall seeing a DH.4 built before it's good to see one of my favourites getting the Royal treatment.

Richie

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
Looking great Ian. Solid work on the interiors. I’m enjoying watching the progress you make. 

All the best,
Tim

Offline RAGIII

I am Loving your Painting and detailing on the interiors Ian. Simply Beautiful!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IanB

Many thanks Stephen, Zac, Richie, Tim, and Rick for your feedback. It's very much appreciated!
I hope I can continue in the same way!

A little more progress has been made since I got signed off sick yesterday with Bronchitis. No big deal as I used to get it regularly as a kid. The medicine tastes familiar!

Basically just finished off the internal woodwork on the 9, which would have been easier to do all at the same time but I didn't think that far.....
I also did the props while I was at it.

I know that looks rough but it's only about the colour. Most of this will be invisible once it's all together so the irregular scraping won't show.

Dh4 prop, lengthened slightly and fine tuned, but otherwise OOB.

DH9 prop, white metal accessory which came with the conversion set. Just filed down and cleaned up, otherwise OOB.

I've also just booked another apartment and hope to move towards the end of August. Still a rental but it's AED21,000 cheaper per year (about 5,000 Pounds) and that goes in my pocket, so looking forward to that! It also has a maid's room which I can use as my spray booth/3d printing room!

That's it for today. Slowly but surely....
Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
Loving the work that's going on here Ian, great stuff on an interesting aircraft!

Keep it up!

Cheers,

BC

Offline RichieW

The props look great Ian. I agree, any rough edges on the interior won't matter one jot once the fuselage is together. I often find myself obsessing over imperfections that won't show up so it's great to see someone not falling into that trap. I shall follow your example in future!

Richie