Author Topic: Airfix DH4 with Blue Rider DH9 conversion, and Pegasus DH4 double build  (Read 10540 times)

Offline FAf

Looks like a lot of work that will be rewarding during all of the following steps in this build. Good work!
/Fredrik

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
I can't provide any advice but my goodness I'm enjoying progress!
Zac in NZ

Offline RichieW

Just catching up with this Ian, I'm sorry to hear of your loss and hope you are all coping.

I like seeing these old school conversions. It looks like a lot of work but highly rewarding.

When my Mr Dissolved Putty starts drying out I just top it up with Mr Levelling Thinner and give it a good stir.

Richie

Offline RAGIII

Good to see you progressing! This stage must be a Trying portion of the builds...at least it would be for Me  :o
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IanB

Another small update today, but first an apology to @Colin @ Freightdog Models for not showing the replacement decals he so generously sent me.
I shall right that wrong now!

A huge improvement, as mentioned earlier, and many thanks once again Colin!

More work had been done on the cockpit repositioning and here is the current state of play

Since that pic I have added some PPP and smoothed it all off, however on further checking it is apparent that sides need to be lowered a little more, so that will be taken care of next session.

I have also added the new nose to the right fuselage side. The other half will be added when the fuselage is joined to ensure the best possible join.

In addition to lowering the cockpit sides, I also need to add some more depth under the mid/forward fuselage. That will be done after the halves are joined.

I also took a quick look at the wings

The incorrect shape of the rear cutout was easily corrected with a file. The thickness is another matter. Although the detail is actually very nicely done compared to many other kits, it will be removed on account of the fact that the wings are too thick. That is one area that always looks wrong if left unattended and in my opinion makes the model look toy-like. The wings will therefore be thinned and the detail replaced afterwards.

On the 9, I have started adding interior detail.

The first problem I needed to solve was how to get the inner panels at the correct level. There was a strip of wood added over the join on the outside of these aircraft and the inner horizontal panels lined up with that. I used a high tech solution here: tweezers!

With the end positioned on the ridge on the outside of the fuselage, I simply turned it over and made a small dot under the end of the tweezers on the inside. I am assuming the ends are the same length of course, but it seems to have worked!

That gave me the reference I needed

The easiest way, as I saw it, was to add the instrument panel and cockpit divider, then join the two. As long as they were the correct size the rest would fall into place.

That seems to have worked OK so far, now I need to do the rear. That could be a little more tricky as the observer's cockpit had semi-circular fore and aft edges instead of the angled ones in the pilot's 
I think I'm going to cut a blank to fit, then cut or drill the centre out. Probably a combination of the two. That's the next job on the list....

The last item I tackled this weekend was sanding the wings to shape.

All they need now is to be cut and pinned with the correct dihedral.
It sounds simple if I say it quickly!

So that's where I am as of now. More to follow soon, I hope.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Offline lone modeller

As ever Ian you are providing an excellent log on the super details that you are using to improve the kits. I am in awe of some of the methods and materials that you use, but am also happy to read about your high tech solution to the longeron problem! I too believe firmly in keeping things as simple as possible.

Stephen

Offline RAGIII

Your progress is Amazing considering how Crude the kits are! Your simple but effective methods of detailing are awesome!
RAGIII

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Excellent progress Ian, thanks for sharing in such detail.
Zac in NZ

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
Good looking scratch work there!  Looking forward to seeing more. 

Offline WD

Excellent progress!

Warren

Offline IanB

Thanks folks!

I've had a few more hours on these two over the last couple of days although a lot of that time has been spent consulting photos.
The DH9 main interior structure is now mostly complete.

The DH4 is also getting close.
I've lowered the cockpit sides a little more and also sanded down the area in front of the cockpit, (after first adding some sheet stock under it just in case I went through) to give it the correct slant downwards, and straightened off the front edge.

The basic structure is very similar to the 9 but has triangular corner braces in the observer's cockpit instead of it being rounded off, and no braces for the instrument panel.

That's all the main structure done. I will add a couple of stringers on the 4 before painting, but will paint the 9 first then add the stringers. That will, hopefully, give a little variation to the tone. I'm not too worried about that on the 4 as it won't be seen under the wing!

The last major issue here is cutting a panel to fit under the Scarff ring on each aircraft. The panel has a slightly smaller inner radius than the Scarff ring and I've already thinned the fuselage walls enough (hopefully) that the straight edges won't show. The front edge of that panel is just in front of the Scarff ring but doesn't meet the panel seen in the pics above, in front of the observer's cockpit. There is a separate vertical partition to add later. 

Having just typed that, I now realise I have done the 4 wrongly. There should be a horizontal panel from the bulkhead back to where the Scarff ring starts, similar to the 9 but with triangular corners.
Something for the weekend then!

Thanks for looking in,

Ian

Offline RAGIII

You are moving along nicely Ian! I am sure you will make quick work of the minor correction.
RAGIII

Offline IanB

Thanks Rick, job done!

Today saw some corrections carried out.

Both the 4 and the 9 had a sheet of ply under the Scarff ring. Under the front edge of that sheet is another vertical panel which leaves a small "pocket" between it and the bulkhead at the front of the observer's cockpit. I decided to remove the top part of the fuselage aft of the observer's cockpit and sand the edges down a fraction. This will allow me to cut a piece of 0.25mm sheet to fit under the Scarff ring and blend it into the fuselage. I also cut a small slot into the front edge of the observer's cockpit fairing to allow this piece to slot in without me having to trim the edges. I did that because the outside edges of the new panel will be very thin, if not non-existant, and this will allow me to fit it oversize and then trim the outer edges to match once it is all dried.
Maybe the pics will make it clearer....

Here is the new panel slotted into place.

The interior panel was then corrected to match

You can see here how the lower panel has now been brought aft to its correct position.

The vertical panel under the front edge has also been glued on to the upper panel so that I can paint this new panel and the front piece together before fitting them.
Now to do it all again for the 9!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Offline FAf

I realise that there's modelling and there's modelling! Given the starting point, this has to be the latter!!! 👍😁
/Fredrik

Offline RAGIII

I realise that there's modelling and there's modelling! Given the starting point, this has to be the latter!!! 👍😁
/Fredrik

It certainly is....and then some!
RAGIII