Author Topic: Halberstadt CL.II  (Read 1972 times)

Offline Gisbod

Halberstadt CL.II
« on: April 06, 2023, 08:17:18 PM »
Morning,

I’m still building the Pup, but while I wait on a few bits my attention is turning to the next build…

The Wingnuts Halberstadt  :) shamelessly lifted from the WNW’s website…

It’s from the ‘Duellist’ boxing - so the more astute of you may realise that means I have an R.E.8 still to make!  ;D it’s the ‘Late’ version, but I presume there’s enough in the box to do either?

I have this notion to make this into a build book available on line. I’ve written a few magazine articles before but just fancy the idea of a project to focus my attention on. Not to make money per se, but more the feeling that it’s for something rather than just ‘another model’. I have a good photo set up now so nothing to stop me really. Anyone have any experience of this?

Anyway, I’m just thinking of colour schemes. I’m quite happy to do the fuselage stippled effect - I’ve made this before in my first Wingnuts incarnation…

…and I probably will, ‘cos it looks quite cool  8), but I wondered what other options were out there? Wood? Solid colours? I’ve done a quick Google search and it does hint at a couple but not conclusively. Can anyone post possible options for me?

I have the Aviattic decal set for the Lozenge (and fuselage stipple - but won’t be using those), the Proper Plane prop (wow), the REXx exhaust, Gaspatch MG’s and the HGW seat belts.

It would be great for any input at all, I’d much appreciate the help!

Thanks  :)

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Gisbod

Re: Halberstadt CL.II
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2023, 12:21:20 AM »
This one’s a bit different,

Do you think it’s a valid representation of the aircraft? The wood fuselage? I assumed the stipple was a factory finish?

Thanks,

Guy

Offline Borsos

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2023, 03:42:31 AM »
Guy, this one looks amazing. Indeed, the stippling was a factory finish, done by Halberstadt works. But this one here is a license production built by BFW (Bayerische Flugzeugwerke — Bavarian aircraft factories) and BFW are known for delivering their aircraft in plain wooden finish. So everything is correct with this profile. I really love the spoked wheels on her.
Andreas

P. S. : Be careful: As far as I can remember, you can only do a ‚late’ or an ‚early’ version out of a kit. The crucial difference is the position of the forward firing machine gun, that was changed during production (from left to right or vice versa I can’t remember at the moment). As this changed the engine covers, these differ between the ‚early‘ and the ‚late‘ kit.
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2023, 04:05:34 AM »
Ah thanks Borsos,

That’s very helpful,

Yes, it’s a beauty isn’t it? It does have the upturned exhaust though (not sure if that’s in the kit- I haven’t looked yet). I do have the standard  REXx exhaust, but I could maybe use that for another model.. the REXx exhaust is stunning, really scale thickness on the outlet hole.

Thanks for the tips, I’ll do a bit more research…

Guy

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2023, 06:32:36 AM »
Hi,

I think there’s a photo of that machine, page 22 of Windsock Datafile 27. Anyone have access to that? I’ve found this one online, is that the same photo in the Datafile?

There’s a photo of a BFW on the on the Wingnuts website…

Thanks,

Guy

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2023, 04:52:09 PM »
Nice -there were a lot more different exhausts than included in the kit, but with some cutting and pasting you might get there :)
FWIW, Copper State do some gorgeous 3D printed spoke wheels :)

Jeroen

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2023, 07:40:09 PM »
Hi Guy,
Great to see another Halberstadt Cl.II being built.
I've recently completed this aircraft build.
As for producing a build book.
As you probably know I created effectively a build book for each of my builds, which can be downloaded from my site for reference of following during a build.
These books contain full details of the particular build, including corrections, enhancements and work around's.
Also fully described rigging and methods, as well as research into the aircraft and if possible its crew and squadron etc.
I create the book in MS Publisher as I build the model.
Once completed I convert it into Adobe PDF format (as everyone can open that format).
Once in PDF format I bookmark each chapter and sub-chapter heading to allow for easy navigation through the book.
It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but may help if you take a look at some of my books.

https://mikesww1aircraftmodels.com/logs.html

I'll PM you,

Mike
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 12:09:34 AM by Mike Norris »

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2023, 02:26:50 AM »
Here is a color profile I found online. Interesting fuselage colors:

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2023, 04:44:51 AM »
Thanks Tim,

Yep, that’s nice, it’s one of the Wingnuts options.

Mike,

Thanks very much, I’ll contact you!

Guy

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2023, 06:34:15 PM »
It will be interesting. But since you are still planing, why not build a Polish post war one? They usually had light wood fuselage (sometimes with green paint stains) and losenge. I can send you a couple of colour schemes if you are interested. In this forum you can also find my build from one year ago, too ;)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2023, 09:00:39 PM »

Just stumbled over this on Amazon…   :)
Przemo, how is it?
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2023, 09:04:57 PM »
You hit the bull's eye.  ;)  It is the brand-new result of years of meticulous research with extensive stories of each a/c example, lots of photos and competently prepared colour schemes (but no scale drawings). It was the principal source when planning my build of Halberstadt. Very highly recommended, even if it were only for the build of Halberstadt.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2023, 09:23:48 PM »
Thanks a lot for your recommendation, Przemo! I wasn’t intentionally looking for that, but Amazon brings most titles from this publisher into my recommendation list.
Sorry for hijacking your build, Guy!
Andreas
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2023, 11:22:59 PM »
Hi guys,

No problem at all, and thanks Prze, that looks great, and your build is fab too, but I’m restricting myself to WW1, I just want all the kits to be in conflict so to speak. I’ll be modelling wartime ones even with my post war boxings…

Although, there will be a delay as I’ve just been given a box of kits to build for someone I’ll have to prioritise  :P

Guy

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2023, 11:26:55 PM »
Ps

The pictures of the BFW version all appear to be dark wood? The profile shows a light wood oak type finish, but I guess that’s just artistic licence?

If I do go down the wood fuselage route - I’d be torn between decals and oils, the decals can look great obviously, but in all honesty, when I see pictures of wooden fuselages - it’s very hard to see any wood effect per se, it looks more like the modelling oils to my eye? What do you reckon?

Guy