Author Topic: 1/72 Airfix Airco DH4  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Rip Van Winkle

1/72 Airfix Airco DH4
« on: March 18, 2023, 12:42:58 AM »
Just finished this.  Model depicts N6000 of Number 5 Naval Squadron. Model has the Mach I landing gear instead of the Mach II.  Some RNAS machine had double Vickers machine guns so that is what is depicted.  I enjoyed the build until I started the rigging. It took forever.  I remember building one in 1968 as a kid. 

Offline Rip Van Winkle

Re: 1/72 Airfix Airco DH4
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 12:50:02 AM »
I used Mister kit paints.  Rigging was with .005 stainless steel wire. Fuselage decals were fron an old Blue Rider decal sheet.

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 12:55:35 AM »
Cockpit and some of the engine bits were scratch built.  I had some Cooper bombs from a Roden Sopwith Camel but decided not to add them.  Next time I would replace the observer gun ring with an after market one.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 01:23:46 AM by Rip Van Winkle »

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 01:22:17 AM »
I felt that the DH4 was the best of all the older Airfix WW1 kits released in the 1960s.  I wrote to Airfix about retooling this kit.  The DH4 had several different powerplants and cowlings as well as two different landing gears.  Also some had different firepower and some of the observer's cockpits varied.  Making a DH9 fuselage and engine or pairing again with Blue Rider could be a possibility.  There is not a lot of competition in the market for these two planes.  Pegasus has a limited production kit but it is difficult to get.  Production numbers for the two planes  were in the thousands.   RFC, RNAS, and  American versions existed not to mention post war use of the DH4 and DH9.  There are also several decal combinations possibly available.  Maybe this idea isn't financially feasible but I thought what harm would it do to ask.  Have not heard anything form them.  I also made the case for retooling the Sopwith Pup.  HR model made one but is OOP.  I also made the case for a RAF FE2b.  One can only wish.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 03:39:15 AM by Rip Van Winkle »

Offline Flamingo

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2023, 03:52:57 AM »
Nice and colourful model!
You did not mention the the different rear top deckings and gun rings, and in the old days it was converted into almost everything else,
well, at least the wings. A very useful kit.
Joachim

Offline WD

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2023, 04:08:26 AM »
This is a wonderful build from a really ancient kit.

Trying to build a DH.9 out of a DH4 would be a pretty fruitless endeavor now IMHO since both KP and Clear Prop now have DH9 kits out now, with the latter being really beautiful on the sprues.

We can hope Airfix will retool this, but I'd lay even money that someone like Clear Prop or KP will release one sooner.

Again, great work!

Warren

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2023, 05:57:45 AM »
I believe the KP and Clear Props kits are  the DH9A.  The DH9 is different from the DH9A.  I have both DH9A kits.  Blue Rider made a fuselage/engine match for the DH4/DH9 conversion but it is hard to find.

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2023, 06:34:24 AM »
I love it, great build!

The Airfix kit may be old but she still has life left in her. The outline of the kit is surprisingly accurate, it only needs a few modifications around the engine cowl and observer station depending on the variant. I built one a year or two back and it was a real pleasure to build. Your interpretation is excellent!

Cheers,

BC

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2023, 02:23:19 AM »
Lovely job you’ve done with that old Airfix kit Rip. Nice to see that the Blue Rider decals work so well. I have a sheet and plan on building the same version someday.

Offline IanB

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 02:37:51 AM »
Very nice!
 There is a DH group build on Britmodeler starting at the end of April and I plan on building the Pegasus kit in this livery, plus the Airfix kit and Blue Rider conversion for a DH9.
I wanted to do the Pegasus kit as a US Marines aircraft but all the decals I have for US squadrons are out of register and I haven't got the correct machine guns, so RAF it will be.

Warren, the KP and Clearprop kits are not DH9, they are DH9a, a totally different fuselage and engine.

Ian

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2023, 05:51:47 AM »
I always enjoy observing your builds IanB.  Please post them if possible.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2023, 06:36:36 AM »
Lovely job RvW! I always enjoy seeing a DH.4, especially when they're done to such a standard.

The Airfix kit may be old but she still has life left in her. The outline of the kit is surprisingly accurate, it only needs a few modifications around the engine cowl and observer station depending on the variant.
I'm very glad to hear that Brad - it's been on my wants list for ages but I was unsure about its accuracy. Perhaps it's time to track one down at last...

Offline RichieW

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2023, 05:43:18 AM »
Great result from this old kit. It never ceases to amaze me how folks like yourself make these kits from a bygone age look bang up to date.

Richie

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2023, 12:43:59 AM »
Thanks all for the replies.  May start some more vintage kits soon

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2023, 04:32:16 AM »
OK, I am catching up and this one is really excellent work! Proves that the kit doesn't always have to be great for a skilled Modeler to make a Masterpiece!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler