Author Topic: MRP Paint for WW1  (Read 916 times)

Offline Gisbod

MRP Paint for WW1
« on: March 16, 2023, 09:23:50 PM »
Hi all,

I love MRP.

They do specific PC10/12, CDL’s but are there colours that would best represent the German aircraft colours for camouflage etc in the range?

I realise you can get other manufacturers ranges, but anyone have a list of MRP they use?

As an aside, what do you use for a Soft Sheen varnish finish?

Thanks,

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Online macsporran

Re: MRP Paint for WW1
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 11:52:16 PM »
Hey Guy

Like you, I love these paints, they go on like ink! Unfortunately though no LSK in the range as yet AFAIK, apart from the MvR Red which I've got but not used as yet. I'm doing a stripey D.VII using MRP so there are some opportunities!
Hopefully we'll get them soon. Until then I use the AK Interactive set.
Sandy
Lovely Spit by the way.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023, 12:12:33 AM »
Thanks Sandy,

How do you find the AK compared to MRP? Is it a dedicated WW1 range?

Guy

Offline davec

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 04:56:44 AM »
I just tried the AK set.  It is specific to WW1 and has a German light Blue and Mauve that I don't see available from other companies.  I tried it because I don't like mixing paint.  The colors are nice.  I've had almost no problem airbrushing MRP or Tamiya.  I found the AK to be more finicky.  It took a bunch of tries before I got it laying down the way I wanted.  MRP and Tamiya went down fine almost no matter how I sprayed them.  I really had to have distance, pressure, and speed right to get the AK paints to work the way I wanted, but once I got the hang of it, they worked well.  I also had a problem with some of the paint lifting when I masked it the first time I used it.  That may have been from the number of times I needed to redo things.  I tried it on a second model this week.  Moment of truth will be when I pull the masking tape off tomorrow.

Dave

Online macsporran

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2023, 05:44:57 AM »
Yes, I'd agree exactly with Dave. MRP are the donkey's bollocks and I hope they add LSK colours. Only problem is supply is a bit hit and miss. I buy what I want when I can.
I think the AK colours are good  but I always use a good primer under them - usually Tamiya rattle can white, which means I haven't had any problems with lifting after masking.

I usually use Winsor and Newton Galeria varnishes, gloss, satin and matt although on the present D. VII I've tried Tamiya gloss (and matt soon), mixed 60/40 with Mr Self Levelling Thinner. Seems good.

I'm sure there's lots of other good ways!
Sandy

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2023, 01:26:17 AM »
Thanks,

Yep, I have had a couple of AK’s products but have been less than impressed..

Guy

Offline Borsos

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2023, 03:07:57 AM »
I don’t mind paint brushing AK acrylics. I even like them for this purpose. But I never torture my airbrush with these colors…
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.