Author Topic: wood grain question  (Read 3062 times)

Offline phil2015

Re: wood grain question
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2022, 10:34:53 AM »
re: oils for wood grain

I've done this for awhile and love the results.  I have on my latest build encountered a couple of surprises.  The oil rubbed off due to two different things.  First, it was on top of a base coat of acrylic that had thoroughly dried.  I think I used Andrea acrylics under this, which are like Vallejo.

I put the oil down, W&N artist oils, brushed out to the end I wanted and was quite happy.  Let it dry for a week.  Tested it with a paper towel and then a gloved finger and it seemed quite dry.  It was on a side panel for an Eduard camel and I had to squeeze it to get the top panel down firmly and some of it (on one side only) smudged off!  So, a week later and I'm touching up the join between the top panel and the rear fuselage by adding some perfect plastic putty.  Next day I realize I need to clean a little bit off the top panel so a little damp q-tip and it smudges that off too!  What's up with that?

So, after you get the result you want with the oil, how do you protect and preserve it?

Online Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2023, 01:17:55 AM »
Phil,
I use the oils over acrylic method often. Some key points for me are:
1. Delay painting the “ woodwork “ till the last possible time.
2. After the oils have dried, apply at least two coats of clear “varnish “ and allow to thoroughly dry before handling. I use Future floor 
Polish.
3. Minimize handling as much as possible
4. The varnish sheen can be toned down with clear flat coat if desired.
5. Avoid masking over this finish!
The clear coating is key to preventing any smudge or paint removal from handling the finish.
HTH
Tim

Offline Berman

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2023, 12:15:49 PM »
    Would adding one part Winsor Newton Original Liquin medium to two parts oil paint result in a harder surface less likely to smudge?
Artists' oils alone dry by slowly oxidizing with the surrounding air which can take more than one week.

Online Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2023, 12:28:57 PM »
Herman,
I’m not sure about the liquin. I’m not familiar with it.
Even after several weeks dry time I’ve found the WN oil paint can easily be rubbed off without some kind of protection.