Author Topic: Roden 1/32 Sopwith Strutter end March/early April  (Read 10444 times)

Offline jeroen_R90S

Re: Roden 1/32 Sopwith Strutter end March/early April
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2023, 07:21:33 PM »
Great news!
The Toko 1/72 "comic" was my first WWI model ever :)
I hope they'll do some French ones in the future, too.

Jeroen

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2023, 04:03:38 AM »
Jadar $39.64US plus $11.33 shipping to here(Barrie ON Canada) I've always been happy with the Jadar service.

Steve

Offline Borsos

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2023, 06:45:56 AM »
I’ve just placed an order for the new Sopwith Strutter here:
https://ua-hobby.com/products/1-32-sopwith-1-1-2-strutter-two-seat-fighter-roden-635
I am very curious how this model will look like once assembled.
I like the pictures of the sprues.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2023, 12:07:46 AM »
https://ua-hobby.com/products/1-32-sopwith-1-1-2-strutter-two-seat-fighter-roden-635
Andreas

It looks like this Vendor is already Sold Out! I also like the sprue photos. I could be mistaken but it looks like they have improved the length of the strut attachment pins and depth of the holes on the wings ?
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2023, 04:13:47 AM »
Looking forward to the first review of this kit: A first look at the photos of the sprues leaves a good impression on me! (Is that understandable English?? 😬)
If somebody here can point me to a USAS version of the two-seater version of the Strutter, I might order one - while waiting for the single-seater version. (hint, hint..! 😊)

Offline gary2seater

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2023, 09:31:47 AM »
Andreas

It looks like this Vendor is already Sold Out! I also like the sprue photos. I could be mistaken but it looks like they have improved the length of the strut attachment pins and depth of the holes on the wings ?
RAGIII

Looks like they have received some more - they are no longer listing this kit as "Sold Out".

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2023, 09:12:35 PM »
looks pretty nice -good to see some proper strut attachment points, as well as te pulley/cable inspection windows done properly instead of the decals from the SE5a.
When it shows up at my LHS I'll get one, though I might wait out a bit to see if they do the "comic" given how the top decking is separate, just like the 1/72 kits... ;)

Offline Borsos

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2023, 06:18:48 AM »
I found a parcel from Kiev on my doorstep this afternoon

Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2023, 06:26:35 AM »

That dashboard really looks quite nice - although there are no instrument decals on the decal sheet. Artscale should come to the rescue...

Close-ups of the armament

And at last those inspection window openings. There's even a recess for the Acetate film coverings.

Is it just coincidence, that this arrives on the very same day when the Wingnut Wings homepage is down?

Andreas

Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2023, 07:36:06 AM »
Thank you very much for sharing your kit with us Andreas, it looks great! The roundels look a bit better than my SPAD VII - hopefully decal registration becomes more of a focus for the team as they're able to get to it (being mindful of their situation, of course).

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2023, 10:45:01 PM »
Looks pretty good on the sprue!

Steve

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2023, 02:52:15 AM »
Hi Andreas,
Looking at your shots it seems the moulding is not that good.
Soft moulding with what looks to be stress marks in some parts and rough surface finish.
Also parts with flash and heavy seam lines.
The tooling doesn't look as though it's been polished.
The decal blue seems to be too dark.

That said I have ordered a kit  :),

What's you personal opinion on the kit?

Mike
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 02:56:48 AM by Mike Norris »

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2023, 06:07:46 AM »
Hi Andreas,
Soft moulding with what looks to be stress marks in some parts and rough surface finish.

Mike

I can see what you are seeing in the photos Mike.  I am Hopeful that the photos being enlarged make the issues "Seem" worse than they are. I will say a few things that are strictly Opinion!

1. It does seem that Roden worked on providing better Strut location pins and their corresponding holes in the wing. Many of My past failures have involved My not being able to sort out the wing attachment  :-[

2. I am also hopeful that the swirls in the plastic are like the SPAD XIII and disappear under a coat of paint. If the plastic is actually rough and pitted sanding will be a necessity!

3. Although the interior and some other part seem soft and heavily molded, I can deal with that myself with some styrene and wire. I wish I didn't have to but as this is likely to be My only shot at a 1 1/2 Strutter, Oh Well  ::)

4. The decals do indeed look to be too dark. In a perfect world the aftermarket industry would take care of that. Not too Hopeful in that Nothing has been done for the SPAD XIII. This goes for interior updates also. So masking and painting will be in order.

5. Thankfully their are some generic things available from Gaspatch and others like seats, Vickers, and Lewis guns.  The price of the kit helps make the Aftermarket purchases more reasonable.

6.  I am Thankful for what Roden is doing even if the kits leave a bit to be desired. I have seen some Beautiful work done on Roden kits in all scales! The Fact that they are still releasing kits under the circumstances is Admirable to say the least!!

RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2023, 06:57:05 AM »
6.  I am Thankful for what Roden is doing even if the kits leave a bit to be desired.
Hear hear!

Offline Borsos

« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2023, 08:42:26 AM »
Hi Andreas,

Mike

Hello Mike,

I must say that I cannot judge a Roden kit neutrally. Please allow some two sentences to say why: When I got back to modelling after the typical break  around 16-18 years of age, I suddenly found types unimagined when I was a child. Once I only knew Airfix and Revell, now, it was short before the millennium, even airplanes like a Nieuport 11 or an Aviatik Berg were available as 1:72 scale kits. I ordered all of them  (via telephone, from a printed catalogue) by the dozens and was blown away by the sheer availability of all those types. Yes, eduard was there, too. But in 1:72 there were only Albatrosses and Fokker Dr. Is these days, the vast majority of ww1 model kits were Roden (Toko/Eastern Express). Roden was a synonym for WW1 modelling for me and I had so many wonderful evenings building them. Not all of these kits were easy, oh no. But they always were fun to build.
When Wingnut Wings entered the market, they set the standards, of course. They even brought me to switch to 1:32 scale, a scale that I never liked before („Waaay to huge! I will always stick to 1:72!“). But however I saw myself getting very angry when suddenly people spoke of the Roden kits as rubbish. Suddenly the Roden Dr. I wasn’t good any more, the Roden D. H. 2 wasn’t good any more. I won’t go on discussing that, without any doubt Wingnut Wings kits were breathtaking products, fantastically researched. But they are gone, sadly. But Roden is back here with this Strutter. I received it on the very same day WNW seem to have done their very last breath and the Wingnut Wings homepage got offline.
And I always had a soft spot for the Sopwith Strutter.

So what is my opinion on this kit? I do like it, of course, I love it. I even got a little emotional, which is strange as it still is just plastic. But here are not those million dollars in the back that a Peter Jackson owns. This kit is produced in a country that faces actual war, death and destruction.

Of course this is no neutral position that I have. Trying to get as close to that as I can get: There is definitely flash here and there. But I haven’t found any sink marks yet. And these ejection marks are on places that are invisible once assembled or on the inside of the fuselage. The detail is soft in places like the wing ribs. But I personally never was a huge fan of too prominent stitching detail there. I thing I‘ll use HGWs stitching decals here as I once tried PE wing rib stitching and didn’t like it.  The parts actually have this typical strange blurred plastic appearance that got typical for Roden in my eyes, but I never had problems with it, like Rick has said, under a coat of paints. The only thing I am afraid of, are, as always, the decals. I can’t say if they are better than the old ones, but they still do look like those, even if the printing seems to be a little better. The blue is a little on the dark side for 1916/1917 British roundels, but I never intended to use the decals anyway.

I am sure, Mike, that you‘ll not regret having ordered one (as they are not too expensive anyway) and you‘ll build a little jewel out if it.
Andreas
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 08:46:50 AM by Borsos »
Barbusse.
Remarque.