Author Topic: Lukgraph Albatros D.III (Oeffag)  (Read 6586 times)

Online Borsos

Re: Lukgraph Albatros D.III (Oeffag)
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2023, 04:05:53 PM »
Yesterday afternoon I received a parcel from Poland. It was my OEFFAG D. III.

It is a superb kit, carefully made and a pure joy to look at.

I think the wings will satisfy also those who find Roden‘s wings too plain:

Beware that there’s a little misunderstanding regarding the markings of 153.167:
The instructions show it either with a green four-leaved clover or with a red heart including the name „Cläre“ on its sides. The decal sheet contains both markings twice. This plane from Flik 2D made a forced landing in May 1918 and was photographed from both sides then. The heart was only painted on the port side, the four-leaved clover on the starboard side. Pictures from both sides are published in JaPo Albatros D. II and III OEFFAG on p. 29.

Best regards,
Andreas

Edit: Corrected, thanks Mike! Don’t know what happened. Need to think first, write later
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 07:31:55 PM by Borsos »
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2023, 06:40:06 PM »
Hi Andreas,
I think a typo  ;)
Starboard and right sides are the same.
Which sides for the heart and the clover (port/starboard - left/right),

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2023, 10:26:33 AM »
 :D ;)

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2023, 05:24:39 PM »
PS While having a quick look I did notice some interesting little things (that seem easily fixable), such as the different instrument panel of the Lukgraph kit that does not seem to have space for the internal guns and that the stencil for the 153 series should probably read DM200 instead of DM225.
Also AFAIK the 153 did not have scalloped ailerons and elevator.
I'm doing a 253 anyway, but if you want to do both a 153 and strive for accuracy some further research might be needed.

Looks nice Andreas! I've ordered one as well but it hasn't arrived yet, and for that, matter, no shipping notice as well. I hope this is due to the model being a massive success for them of course!
I did message Lukgraph about the above, can you tell if they managed to have a look and/or fix some of it? It was probably too late already but I haven't received a reply with a yes/maybe/no so I'm a but curious, and as I wrote, mine isn't here (yet).
It's also my first resin/3D kit and my most expensive model to date!  8)

And FWIW, the Datafile #19 also has 2 photo's of "Cläre" / Clover.

Jeroen

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2023, 07:08:46 PM »
Hi Jeroen,
I've received emails for my order being dispatched to the UK.
If you've had no reply then I'd chase them up again, just to be sure.
I also emailed them regards some changes I thought were needed on their BE2c model and for their planned releases of other versions of that aircraft.
I did get a reply but basically they said ' thanks, but it's too late now'.
I don't know if they have outside modelers test build before releasing a model or if they do it themselves in-house.
Also how much technical research they carry out during the development stages of a model.
That said, many released models from most companies have anomalies that can usually be fixed,

Mike

Online Borsos

« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2023, 01:12:08 AM »
PS While having a quick look I did notice some interesting little things (that seem easily fixable), such as the different instrument panel of the Lukgraph kit that does not seem to have space for the internal guns and that the stencil for the 153 series should probably read DM200 instead of DM225.
Also AFAIK the 153 did not have scalloped ailerons and elevator.
I'm doing a 253 anyway, but if you want to do both a 153 and strive for accuracy some further research might be needed.

Looks nice Andreas! I've ordered one as well but it hasn't arrived yet, and for that, matter, no shipping notice as well. I hope this is due to the model being a massive success for them of course!
I did message Lukgraph about the above, can you tell if they managed to have a look and/or fix some of it? It was probably too late already but I haven't received a reply with a yes/maybe/no so I'm a but curious, and as I wrote, mine isn't here (yet).
It's also my first resin/3D kit and my most expensive model to date!  8)

And FWIW, the Datafile #19 also has 2 photo's of "Cläre" / Clover.

Jeroen

Jeroen,

you‘ve got sharp eyes and a deep knowledge of the type. You are completely right, the elevator is scalloped like it should only be the case for the 253 version. I think that’s nothing some sanding couldn’t take care if you wanted to build the 153 version. Also the instrument panel is wrong for all the versions, as for 53, 153 and 253 it should be split into two parts leaving space for the machine gun butts. Two cuts with a razor saw will correct this. As far as I know, the kit’s instrument panel is fine for the 253 planes with raised guns, those that had the Schwarzloses on eye level. At last the kit’s seat has no lightening holes. I cannot remember having seen OEFFAG seats without those lightening holes. As the holes are quite large and 3d-printed resin is quite brittle, I think this will be the most problematic issue to fix. I am thinking of exchanging the seat with one from a Roden D. III. The plastic is way easier to handle while drilling. The Lukgraph seat is on the other hand completely fine for a German Albatros D. III.
Best regards

Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2023, 04:43:15 PM »
Hi Mike, Hi Andreas,

I suppose Lukgraph were just very busy, and my pre-order a bit later, as yesterday I received my example -and little (correctable) errors or not, it looks really nice!
Eventually I did get order- and shipping notices so it all went OK in the end. I didn't get a reply to my message regarding the niggles.

Andreas, well, I've been accused of sharp eyes, but definately not of being an expert on these Albatrosen, other than the website I linked earlier and re-reading the Datafile. Thanks for the compliment, though!  ;D

As Mike stated, most models have little or big flaws, and these look to be correctable without a lot of work :) 

Really happy with it, one thing I noticed for example is that the struts have little holes printed on the tops, ready for a bit of wire to be added without needing to drill the brittle 3D parts, or what I've seen on other models with wires cast in a resin piece that never quite seem to line up.

Jeroen

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2023, 07:31:40 AM »
one thing I noticed for example is that the struts have little holes printed on the tops, ready for a bit of wire to be added without needing to drill the brittle 3D parts, or what I've seen on other models with wires cast in a resin piece that never quite seem to line up.
That's a terrific move, bravo Lukasz. Very helpful!
Zac in NZ