Author Topic: Roden 1/32 Sopwith Strutter end March/early April  (Read 10448 times)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: Roden 1/32 Sopwith Strutter end March/early April
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2023, 12:15:54 AM »
Hey Sandy, don't think Mike posted it as a "This is old news" statement but thanks for the update and I will be watching for the Sopwith here.

Steve

Offline Flik63J

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2023, 04:56:39 AM »
What I wonder about is the supposed box art?
I can’t be the only one who has spotted that this is identical to the 1/48 version.
I can understand that there might be a significant cost saving in simply ‘re-scaling’ the old kit, but I would like
to think that there will be a new selection of markings. Having said that I suppose anything in 1/32 is very welcome.

David

Offline Borsos

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2023, 05:17:02 AM »
What I wonder about is the supposed box art?
I can’t be the only one who has spotted that this is identical to the 1/48 version.
I can understand that there might be a significant cost saving in simply ‘re-scaling’ the old kit, but I would like
to think that there will be a new selection of markings. Having said that I suppose anything in 1/32 is very welcome.

David

Valery Grygorenko, the artist who did the boxart for Roden, died in a Russian attack on Kiev last year. Might be a reason they use the old Sopwith Strutter boxart here again.

Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline SimonCornes

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2023, 05:54:10 AM »
Jadlam are selling the kit for just under £44 post free. I hadn't seen that Models for less were doing it for almost 10% less than that but Bachmann are listing it at about £70 so it's an incredibly good deal from 2 suppliers. No doubt Roden will release it in French markings given how many were manufactured in France and I am sure that Roden are doing the single seater as well but it's great news. Now we need some good aftermarket decals. And this is where we will sorely miss Rowan Broadbent, ah well.

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2023, 07:08:46 AM »
Hi all,
Strange that the box art shows the main aircraft, 9407 and the others being flown as single seater's.
Photographs of this actual aircraft show it operated as a two seater.

This aircraft served with No.3 Wing, RNAS from May 1916 until April 1917.
It was struck off charge in June 1917,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline SimonCornes

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2023, 08:17:18 AM »
Is that a natural metal cowl? It seems a similar colour to the white of the roundel in that photo.
Simon

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2023, 08:26:11 AM »
Is that a natural metal cowl? It seems a similar colour to the white of the roundel in that photo.
Simon
Hi Simon,
The Windsock Data File No.34 states that the engine cowl on this particular aircraft was 'natural metal finish',

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2023, 09:47:36 AM »
Many years ago I built that model in 72nd scale from Rodens predecessor Toko kit. It will be truly great to do it again in the larger scale.

Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Rob_Owens

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2023, 01:22:23 PM »
 ;D So that would make it a “1/48 Strutter” (1&1/2 divided by 72)

Offline SimonCornes

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2023, 06:06:35 PM »
Simon
Hi Simon,
The Windsock Data File No.34 states that the engine cowl on this particular aircraft was 'natural metal finish',

Mike

Thank you Mike. I have both data files - I’ll have to read them again but the painting guide for the new kit appears to suggest it’s grey so that will catch a few people out!
Simon

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2023, 07:46:11 PM »
Simon
Hi Simon,

Mike

Data file No.34, page 34,

Mike

Thank you Mike. I have both data files - I’ll have to read them again but the painting guide for the new kit appears to suggest it’s grey so that will catch a few people out!
Simon

Online macsporran

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2023, 08:16:44 PM »
I was excited to see the Roden boxart as it depicts exactly the Strutter I made back in the 90s from a 1/48 Tom's vacform. Like others I was surprised to see a lone aviator depicted - Collishaw - as I had his autobiography 'Air Command' at the time and he detailed the 1916 Oberndorf raid with no mention of flying solo.
Sandy

Back in the day, I put the following post on the old WWI List

Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter - No3 Wing RNAS, Luxeil 1916
9407, flown by FltSubLt Raymond Collishaw at time of the Oberndorf raid.

The kit is a vacform from Tom's Modelworks with excellent surface detail. You get both single and two-seater fuselages and I opted for the single seater, cutting out the rear position as it was crisper. The lower center section / wing panel joints require a lot of work but with wire spars and some filler a good result can be achieved. This is maybe not a vac for the beginner though. Usual Aeroclub guns and Tom's PE scarff ring etc.

I got some very useful internal details from one of the early RAF videos showing Strutters preparing for take-off - lovely evocative film!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2023, 05:41:56 AM »
I am Really Looking forward to this one! This will put the last missing aircraft into My 43 squadron collection  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online macsporran

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2023, 10:07:42 PM »
Other vendors now offering pre-orders on this kit but there seems to be a bit of uncertainty about the price.

Hannants are saying 69.95GBP with the usual 10% off (62.95) for pre-order plus shipping.
Jadlam are quoting 43.95GBP for pre-order (and pay) including shipping

MJR get their stock from Hannants with a discount, so maybe they won't be able to honour their initial offer of 40.95GBP incl delivery.

45 quid seems low when the last SPAD was 60-ish -  should I pre-order and pay now and hope it guarantees the price. Decisions, decisions
Sandy

Offline Europapete

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2023, 12:33:54 AM »
Preorder now Sandy and keep an extra forty in your back pocket just in case! lol. Regards, Pete in RI