Author Topic: The Wight Type A.1 Improved Navyplane (1/72nd scale)  (Read 10146 times)

Offline PJ Fisher

The Wight Type A.1 Improved Navyplane (1/72nd scale)
« on: January 03, 2023, 03:34:00 AM »
The first time I encountered a photograph of this oddity I knew someday I'd build a model of it. Now, decades later, my brother and I are designing from scratch our own 3D 'kit' of printed parts that we can assemble. The Wight A.1 Improved Navyplane, sometimes referred to as the 'Wight Pusher', was an enlargement of an earlier two-seater design by Howard Wright produced by White & Company. Being a double-cambered, swept-wing, five-bay, sesquiplane hydroplane of pusher configuration, there really was nothing quite else like it when it appeared at the Olympia Aero & Marine Exhibition in March 1914. With an ultimate wingspan of 71 feet it was likely the largest British plane ever manufactured to that date and possibly the world's largest seaplane.  As White & Co. was in the shipbuilding trade, this beast actually rests on water-displacing hulls rather than conventional hydroplane floats. It featured the most powerful aero engine yet available in Britain: the 200hp Salmson 2M7 Canton-Unne twin-row, fourteen-cylinder radial. Flight magazine noted that, fully loaded including observer and wireless apparatus, the prototype could 'leave the water within five to seven seconds from opening out the motor'.  It was also fitted with a double-cambered propeller, a bomb rack, armored seats, and an anchor! Popular Mechanics dubbed it 'the most useful of all seagoing aircraft'. The German Kaiserliche Marine even ordered three, with one being delivered just weeks before the war.  You can see from the photo below the Wight 'Improved Navyplane' also was one of the very first airplanes to be camouflaged. 

Images: Aeronautics, 27 June 1917 (left); Country Life, 5 February 1916, p. 166 (right)

White & Co. designed a handful of aircraft types that saw service during the Great War, yet the only substantial writing on them, The Wight Aircraft, by Mike Goodall, was published already fifty years ago.  Only their quadruplane has ever been formally issued in kit form.  I know of no other scratch-built model of the Improved Navyplane other than the manufacturer's 1/16th scale interpretation of the prototype from way back in 1914.  Thankfully, the Goodall book contains a well-detailed three-view rendering of this particular craft, and a few period sketches can be found on the internet. Ultimately about a dozen flew in British service, mostly on coastal patrol, though a few were sent to the Dardanelles.  We are focusing on these.

(images: Flight, May 1914)

Over the past months I've been gathering information and slowly learning how to use Fusion 360, but my brother is doing all the real 3D design work.  Modeling this bird is proving a challenge.  There's no enclosed cockpit, so every detail is exposed, including the motor, which also has never before been modeled en masse in scale form.  Everything is tiny and fragile in 1/72 scale and guesswork will be involved.  We also are experimenting with rendering the Navyplane in 'stripdown' form with the double-arched wing ribs, stiffening rods, and spars fully visible... and potentially coverable.  More to follow but for now here are some of our early renderings from a few months back:

« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 02:38:26 PM by PJ Fisher »

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
Re: The Wight Type A.1 Improved Navyplane (1/72nd scale scratchbuild)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 03:48:07 AM »
Wow Paul,

I can see why you need that ruler!

This will be a stunner!

Cheers
Willem

Offline enathan

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 05:02:09 AM »
Hats off to you Paul, I will follow with interest.

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2023, 05:15:37 AM »
Nectar of the Gods Paul.....Bravo!!!

Offline FAf

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2023, 07:31:17 AM »
Looks really interesting! Don't hesitate to show us lots of details about the design work. The whole 3D thing is quite intriguing.
/Fredrik

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2023, 04:21:53 AM »
I am excited to see this.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2023, 06:39:00 AM »
What a fascinating project, I shall follow with great interest.

Richie

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2023, 08:44:50 AM »
What a challenge - a strip dowm model in the One True Scale. Now that really is exciting.

Stephen.

Online DaddyO

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2023, 06:11:50 PM »
Amazed that you took on such a beast and astounded by what's appearing so far. Pulling up a chair and popcorn in readiness for the next instalment  8)

Paul

ps
Thought you might mean 'reflexed' aerofoil, but it really is 'double-cambered' which is something I've never seen on an aircraft (or model) before  :o
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Online RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2023, 09:38:22 AM »
An interesting and spectacular project!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline PJ Fisher

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2023, 03:15:15 PM »
Thought you might mean 'reflexed' aerofoil, but it really is 'double-cambered' which is something I've never seen on an aircraft (or model) before  :o

Me neither!  From what I gather the double-cambre feature was extensively tested (and possibly patented) by Howard Wright who was White's chief designer on the various Wight planes, most of which were double cambered.  A few trade and engineering journals reported then on his design and its reputed lift capabilities though it clearly hasn't stood the test of time.  Here's an image from the the March issue of Aeroplane and Commercial Aviation News, showing the double-camber idea applied to the propeller (they also tested a variable-pitch propeller).  This photo also shows the level of engineering that went into the floats as compared to the rather simple nacelle, which is clearly Farman inspired:

. .

Thanks to the Goodall book we know how the wing construction looked.  These renderings (above) that my brother made give a good idea of the camber.  Here's where the compromise starts (at least for 1/72 scale), we are going to have to exaggerate the thickness of the ribs just a touch in order to make them structurally sound.  Still experimenting with the design and the physical print process, but so far the results are promising.  Third image above shows how we're trying to align the rib cutaways so the inner diagonal rigging wires can be run. But rendering is just half of the challenge. Even the way a given object is set up to print can influence the quality of production.  Our first print was the center wing section, which was sketched directly from a drawing filed in the patent office archives.  The second image shows it hot off the press and still on its intricate support assembly.  The third image shows how the trailing edge failed to separate from the sprues and the whole thing was a loss. 

. .

Trial and error!  But eventually we produced a successful first draft.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 06:58:00 AM by PJ Fisher »

Online DaddyO

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2023, 06:40:35 PM »
Love it  8)
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2023, 06:51:44 PM »
This is absolutely fabulous Paul!

I am still amazed about the possibilities of 3d printing. And it's nice that you can work with your brother on this peculiar, beautiful aircraft.

And also I have never seen an aircraft before with double-cambered airfoil.

Great research and results!

Cheers,
Willem

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2023, 08:18:23 AM »
Howard Wright who was White's chief designer on the various Wight planes
That's not confusing at all  ;D
Zac in NZ

Offline RichieW

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2023, 08:30:31 AM »
Incredible! That has floored me. Such amazing intricacy, it is truly astonishing.

Richie