Author Topic: The Wight Type A.1 Improved Navyplane (1/72nd scale)  (Read 10149 times)

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...

Offline torbiorn

Re: The Wight Type A.1 Improved Navyplane (1/72nd scale)
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2023, 03:06:36 AM »
How about silkspan? I’ve tried that for similar purpose, but you do need to paint that too.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2023, 10:01:21 AM »
So beyond saying I am amazed at your work, I have to ay that I am confident you will solve any covering issues!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline PJ Fisher

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2023, 11:59:50 AM »

Offline PJ Fisher

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2023, 12:26:17 PM »
How about silkspan? I’ve tried that for similar purpose, but you do need to paint that too.

I will investigate.  Thank you!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 06:46:32 AM by KiwiZac »

Offline PJ Fisher

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2023, 12:30:06 PM »
Hey all,

Some progress to share.  As my brother has been sorting out the engineering aspects of rendering and printing this plane as a viable model, I've been experimenting with assembly, wing-covering and painting.

Most of the body segments are in a presentable proof state, and are starting to resemble an actual airplane when pieced together.  Because the plastic is delicate and the parts small, we're using wire pins (these are made from size 8 guitar strings) to give strength.  For the center section, which must bear the load of the wings and the floats, my brother rigged a hole running the length of each strut to allow the guitar string to be inserted all the way through.  These were placed after the print phase but before the curing phase, to lock them in tight.  Maybe overkill, but so far it's successful.  In the second image you can see these wires running through the nacelle's vertical struts prior to removal from the support sprues.  Image three shows the center section attached with the wires trimmed.  The nacelle body still has support sprues attached that need to be trimmed:

. .

Meanwhile, I've had some hits an misses experimenting further with the grey-toned translucent vellum paper intended to simulate canvas.  Reached some dead ends attempting to pre-score the rib lines (ultimately unneccessary and unrealistic). I also tried pre-staining the paper by soaking it in a brew of black tea to give it a linen color (complete waste of time and of a proper cup of PG Tips).  Third, I tried pre-painting the paper with Tamiya paint... this, again for my amateur hands at least, came out to grainy and splotchy.  I've since switched to MRP lacquer which I prefer much better.  The good news is, even with paint covering both sides of the rudder surface below, natural light still easily shines through.  Down side - no room for mistakes!  One simple tiny paint drop effectively ruined the finish on one.

But I still believe the concept of applying wing fabric in 1/72 is viable.  Here are two images with lamplight shining through the painted center section and the non-painted wings.  The tweezers give a sense of scale. The wings aren't glued; rather, they're temporarily attached by two guitar-string pins at each joint.  Best of all - no warping!  The third image presents a new problem... even after a light lacquer spray the wing ribs can still somewhat be seen from above (without light shining through), which would not be normal in real life. Possible solutions are using a tan-colored resin or pre-painting the wings a lighter color (though this may affect surface adhesion). Still more experimenting ahead!

. .
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 01:39:09 PM by PJ Fisher »

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2023, 05:47:09 AM »
Some very interesting experimentation going on here, and on a very delicate subject too. The level of detail is stunning, - WNW in God's Own Scale - but I am not sure that I would want to try to put on the wing covering: I do not think that I have steady enough hands or the patience as there is so little room for error.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 05:58:54 AM by lone modeller »

Online KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2023, 06:09:26 AM »
Truly remarkable work - I'm with Stephen in that I don't think I could do it!
Zac in NZ

Offline DaveB

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2023, 09:23:43 PM »
Wow - amazing work on the wings!

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline PJ Fisher

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2023, 05:58:11 AM »
The level of detail is stunning, - WNW in God's Own Scale - but I am not sure that I would want to try to put on the wing covering: I do not think that I whve steady enough hands or the patience as there is so little room for error.

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen.  I'm lucky that my eyes are still good enough that I don't need to use magnification in 1/72... but I'm realizing that doing so is beginning to feel like climbing Mt. Everest without oxygen - not sure how much longer I can last without it!  Truth is, up close, none of the finish work on the wing coverings is satisfactory yet.  You're right - there is little margin for error!  The first photo below shows a visible seam running the length of the wing near where the aileron goes.  Here I was impatient navigating the tricky double-camber and gummed up the vellum paper in the application process and it tore.  I was able to peel and reapply it, then sealed with CA and sand, but in order to hide the seam's shadow I'd have to apply more paint.  This would then ruin the translucency.  Similar trouble with the second image below - I experimented with patch over the intersection between a spar and rib, but here I used too thick a glue and didn't sand it correctly before damaging the thin paper.  There's also a bit of pucker near the leading edge and the framework still bleeds through too much:

I subsequently switched to a beige tissue paper (still need to try the Silkspan that torbiorn recommended). I also abandoned the spray adhesive, switched to a super-thin CA, and changed my approach to laying and trimming the paper.  Here's a image of one of the ailerons (entirely unpainted though sealed with CA and lightly burnished) with light shining on it, followed by an image of light shining through it.  Much better initial outcome I think, though some paint will still be required to tone the edges.  My brother also thinks the color if this particular paper is 'too red'.  But now's not the time to get into a CDL argument.

I then tried pre-painting the framework before applying wing coverings to lessen the 'bleeding shadow look' that the vellum paper gave.

Also experimenting with rigging the inner wing structures.  Still need to sort out how to run them straight and true (the rightmost wire rambles through the ribs while the leftmost is kinda cheating and is just glued along the rib undersides), but I think this is going to work out.  Even better, shadows of the wires along with the inner stiffening rods are still visible though both layers of the new wing 'fabric' (last image).

« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 12:37:27 PM by PJ Fisher »

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2023, 07:18:10 AM »
This is a real inspiring build Paul.

Your experiments with the vellum and the translucency are paying of. I may give it a try myself too.

Beautiful results overal. This is real scratch building; looking for and finding solutions as you progress.

Willem

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2023, 05:57:38 AM »
I really admire your patience with the wing covering. I am sure that repeated efforts will provide a solution but I also think that experience will be important to achieve the desired effect.

Stephen.

Offline torbiorn

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2023, 07:09:07 PM »
Those are really wonderful. Keep going =)

I see the biggest obstacles as fastening the rigging, and of course as you said, it’s completely unforgiving regarding errors. And you certainly didn’t chose the easiest wing to experiment on! Can’t wait to see the final result, most impressive.

Silkspan *is* tissue paper by the way. I have some sold as ”silkspan” and see no difference from the tissue paper I bought in a general (ie not modelling) hobby shop. You can also paint it with a mix of PVA glue and paint to stiffen it and prevent from ripping.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2023, 09:59:38 PM »
You have the patience of a saint Paul! All the experimentation will pay off handsomely in the end. This is going to look magnificent.

Richie

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2023, 08:34:03 AM »
Beautiful results with the translucent look of the framework and rigging.  I agree about the no room for error comments as well.  Also agree with Torbiorn about external rigging. I myself prefer elastic line and could see it ripping out chunks of the paper fabric covering.  I’m sure you will have a feasible plan. I’m just trying to imagine myself building something like this.  Loving your work on this most unusual subject!