Author Topic: Eye trouble  (Read 1218 times)

Online macsporran

Eye trouble
« on: December 04, 2022, 09:16:23 PM »
Maybe some others may benefit from my experiences, so -

I've always had 'dry eyes' and opticians usually recommend drinking plenty of fluids, while I often buy drops for tired eyes.
However a few months ago I awoke one morning to find my left eye quite gummed close. I gently prised it open but felt a bit of discomfort and had blurry vision, which I assumed would resolve itself over a day or two. It didn't and I made an appointment with my optician (Peter - a keen WW2 Tamiya modeller!). He examined my eyes and sent off scans to Ninewells teaching hospital a few miles away in Dundee.
Peter came back to me to say I had a condition called map dot fingerprint dystrophy, which basically means I had pulled the top epithelial layer of my eyeball away from the lower layers resulting in a crease. It's evidently quite common on the sclera (white bit) but my crease ran across the iris, thus affecting my ability to focus.
A few weeks later and I am lying on my back in Ninewells with a consultant pouring anaesthetic then alcohol into my eye to loosen and dissolve the epithelium and wipe away the offending crease. I thanked him profusely, but he said 'you will not be thanking me when the anaesthetic wears off!'   Sure enough, a couple of days of hell ensued until it started to heal and I'm now starting to get my vision sharpening up again.
You don't realise how much you rely on binocular vision until you try to wield a paint brush on a model and you cannot judge how far the tip is from the surface. The last few stages of the Little Blue Fokker took ten times as long as usual!
Thankfully I'm back to stereo now.

Anyway, I'm not really one to talk about aches and pains etc online, but I mention this here in case others have dry gritty eyes. I will regularly apply eye drops now but will always keep some on the bedside table to use when I wake up. I'd recommend everybody to do the same and if you wake with a gummed-up eye, for goodness sake don't peel it open without applying some drops or even water first of all!
Sandy

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: Eye trouble
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 01:07:01 AM »
Sandy, I can certainly sympathize. I am now permanently 90% blind in my left eye. I haven't exactly re-learned depth perception but I am getting better at judging angles and distances. My damage was done by high eye pressure, something you don't feel. Now that I depend on one eye I will certainly heed your advice (but not heed the baw ;D) I hope you have life long full vision so you can continue your great WWI builds!!

Steve 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 03:15:39 AM by pepperman42 »

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 03:18:44 AM »
Well, brilliant you got back what you had lost. It is ironic that (and I think I speak for most) when I was a kid and my eyesight was perfect I built kits for fun and had cared little about inabilities or shortcomings. Accuracy and perfection were not part of the program. Now that I do care about these things (though not as much as some) I have to have two pairs of glasses and a large magnifying glass on the bench and sometimes that isn't enough. You just don't appreciate what you have until you start to lose it.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 06:44:56 AM »
Sandy, how awful! Thank goodness it wasn't worse (Steve: I had no idea!).

Online PJ Fisher

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 08:46:18 AM »
If it helps to know, the great impressionist painter Claude Monet suffered from increasingly debilitating eyesight as he aged... yet some say his final works from his later life at Giverny are his most soulful.  And the world needs more soulful lozenge-patterned Fokkers.