Author Topic: That damned bug!  (Read 1056 times)

Offline hrcoleman66

That damned bug!
« on: February 14, 2023, 07:52:17 AM »
I sit here at this desk 9 days a fortnight (working from home still), the only contact I have with my work colleagues is my email (Mostly) and I only actually speak to someone on Skype or Teams when something has gone wrong with one of the 15 thousand materials I am responsible for.  and with volume of materials (9 K from the USA, 6K from DE and the rest locally maintained), there is a high frequency of glitches.
Above my monitors on the wall are two framed photographs of waterfalls I took when my wife and I visited New Zealand 4 and a half years ago.  The yearning to return there is strong.
On top of the book shelves to my left is one carboy of mead in secondary fermentation (actually well and truly finished by now) that I really need to either rack off or bottle, but I just can't bring my self to do so.  At one stage during the peak of lock downs, I had five 1 gallon jugs up there all at various stages of maturity, and all of different varieties.  A lot of experimentation was made in my early life as a mead maker.  Some successful, some still in bottles "aging" because even after two years in the bottle, it's rough as guts.
The garage stores four heavy duty go to telescope mounts.  All with various optical tubes attached ranging from a 61mm Doublet Refractor to an 8" Richey Cretian Reflector.  But the last six months has been so bad for clear skies that I reckon my wife and I might have gotten maybe 8 clear nights for imaging.  All that investment...  Waiting, waiting.
9 months ago, I said, I'm not building any more and liquidated most of my WNW stash.  I thought I'd never have time to build, and I certainly lack the space at the moment.  We have exotic birds in the house, so noxious fumes of any sort are a no no.  But lately, I have been trawling the pages here again,  discovering builds on YouTube and frankly itching to build, paint, weather, rig...  Create.
I still have all my Eduard stash, and more...  The WNW Felixstowe (late) box still sits under what was supposed to be my build table, as does the AMC DH9 and I'm embarrassed to admit, there is a Sopwith Snipe in the post...
There are so many kit boxes stacked up around the room here that my wife didn't even notice the new Eduard Clerget Camel that came home the other day.  I pretend not to notice when a new Astro camera arrives in the post, but then she usually asks for assistance with back spacing and adapters, so she can hardly hide it.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is a lot going on in this aging brain.  Apart from work.  I think there always has been.  But usually I have been able to focus it. 
I look at Mikes 1/32 builds and I wonder how he has the discipline to just keep on going for what? six finished models a year to high standard.  Does he ever get bogged down?  I know Brads life is getting in the way of his many projects, but he too seems to maintain a steady output.  Me?  I still haven't finished the BE12a that I last posted about 18 months ago.  It's just sitting gathering dust.

Anyway, enough rambling.  Maybe some of you can read between the lines above and understand.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline gbrivio

Re: That damned bug!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 06:06:48 PM »
Hugh, for me it's almost looking at a mirror. We share the same feelings and bugs and I believe there is plenty of others around, cheer up.  ;)
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 07:22:28 AM »
I totally know the feeling Hugh, I'm sure many of our members sympathise and have been there. I've not posted much recently because my work has lately been commission builds and I'd like to share the results when they've been delivered (if the customer is happy for me to do so), but I'm slowly getting back into my own builds too. You'd think unemployment would be a boon for a modelmaker with a healthy stash!

Above my monitors on the wall are two framed photographs of waterfalls I took when my wife and I visited New Zealand 4 and a half years ago.  The yearning to return there is strong.
We would love to have you both, Hugh  :)

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2023, 07:19:32 AM »
I totally know the feeling Hugh, I'm sure many of our members sympathise and have been there. I've not posted much recently because my work has lately been commission builds and I'd like to share the results when they've been delivered (if the customer is happy for me to do so), but I'm slowly getting back into my own builds too. You'd think unemployment would be a boon for a modelmaker with a healthy stash!

Absolutely will look you up when we next come over.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2023, 09:12:10 AM »
Absolutely will look you up when we next come over.
:)