Author Topic: Nie.17 Framework and Binding Colors  (Read 1387 times)

Offline WD

Nie.17 Framework and Binding Colors
« on: October 17, 2022, 09:17:18 AM »
Friends,
I need your assistance please. I'm resurrecting a couple of stalled 1/72nd Nieuport17 builds and I'm stuck. I have Marc Chassard's book on the Nie.17 and his book on Dorme, both excellent references for the Nieuport 17, along with various Albatros Publication's Datafiles. However, none of them seem clear on the color of paint used on the metal tubing used inside the cockpit of the Nie.17.

- I'm assuming that on Nie.17's that are in camouflage that the metal work is painted in that blue that seems close to the horizon blue of the Adrian helmets. Is this true? is it true for all metal work/trim on the a/c? What about the aluminum-doped Nie.17's? Was the blue still used on the interior framing?

- On the bindings of the interplane struts, I've seen those portrayed in that same blue, but on various profiles of the aluminum-doped Nie.17's I've seen those bindings portrayed as silver and I've seen them portrayed as clear -doped linen? Which is it, or am I wrong on both?

Thanks

WD

Offline WD

Re: Nie.17 Framework and Binding Colors
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 08:04:15 AM »
Thanks for looking folks, I got my answer on another WWI board.

WD

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2022, 05:45:24 AM »
Thanks for looking folks, I got my answer on another WWI board.

WD

Sorry Warren, I wasn't sure of the answer. I thought the Blue was the answer but as I wasn't certain I didn't comment. So for the record what was the answer from the Other WW1 board?
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Europapete

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2022, 08:22:42 AM »
I'll second that Warren. What was the answer?  Hi Rick!  Regards, Pete in RI

Offline WD

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 10:10:59 AM »
Apologies for the late reply.

It appears that some shade of blue/blue-grey was the go to on all Noops up through the Nie.23 at least. I didn't get an answer on the interplane strut tapes.

FWIW, here's the thread: https://1914.forumactif.com/t590-nie-17-framework-and-binding-colors

And this one: https://1914.forumactif.com/t252-autour-du-nieuport-ni-17?highlight=nieuport

You'll note our member Xan on there. It's a good board BTW.

Warren