Author Topic: Trying to Break Up Aluminum Dope  (Read 1416 times)

Offline WD

Trying to Break Up Aluminum Dope
« on: September 06, 2022, 01:50:34 AM »
OK, I need to tap the hive mind of the group, consult the silverbacks, scribes, and sages.
Since my Zeroes got back-burnered I'm thinking about picking up my stalled 1/72nd Nieuport 17 builds from many moons ago. (I'm trying to complete started projects, I'm *trying* to be good. Honest.)
I'm going to be running some experiments to decide what paint I'm going to use to replicate the l'enduit metalise, but in the meantime, my question is this:
What can I do to somewhat break up the "sameness" of this finish? The undersides are going to get mud splatters, and the bottom of the fuselage and lower sides will get the burned castor oil nastiness, but I'm wondering about the upper surfaces of the wings, fuselage, etc. These a/c were pretty sheltered, and most didn't last long enough to "fade". This isn't going to be like an aluminum-skinned a/c with wear,  oxidation, etc. Whatever I do is going to have to be subtle since the subject is so small, and not look cartoonish.
Thoughts?  Ideas?

WD

Offline RAGIII

Re: Trying to Break Up Aluminum Dope
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 09:51:51 AM »
Warren,
Knowing you work in 1/72nd My first thought is stay subtle  ::) That being said I personally think some undercoating white with black or dark grey blotches, then thin coats of your chosen Aluminum Dope. One thing I am not overly fond of is the black outlined ribs. If this is done it really needs to be SUBTLE, IMHO. I guess modulation with different Aluminum and greys might also work. I spent time today looking at photos. One thing I noticed is that seeing streaks running vertically on the fuselage sides seems fairly common. I don't know how helpful this is but I will keep looking!
RAGIII
PS: Do Russian Nieuports....they were filthy everywhere  8)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 10:32:26 PM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline WD

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2022, 09:57:31 AM »
Rick,
       I am in full agreement, and I think in 1/72nd I lack the requisite airbrush skills, and fine line airbrush, to pull that outlining off. As you say, if you can't keep it subtle, then just don't. In such a small scale, it'd be easy to make something look cartoonish rather than realistic.

I noticed the vertical streaking too. I think I'm going to prime in black, and build up some random greys, and then go really light with some Tamiya LP-11 or LP-38 (or both!)

WD

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 05:20:42 PM »
I've been using oil paints to add streaks and subtle colour changes. (On silver I used Paynes grey, Titanium white and Raw umber) Thinned down with a medium they are easy to do and can be wiped off varnish if you don't like the effect.

Hope that helps
Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 06:40:50 PM »
Sometimes using different sheens of something like Alclad can work, as I tried on my 1/48 Brisol Bulldog:

Cheers,

BC

Offline WD

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2022, 03:59:25 AM »
DaddyO I'm considering using some oil paint rendering on this as you suggested. Brad, using different shades of Alclad has crossed my mind too.

Thanks to you both for the advice and suggestions!

WD

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2022, 02:20:55 AM »
I wanted to do the same thing, so I experimented using AK's dry pigments on my 1/72 Nieuport 17. All I had was Dark Steel and used way too much.  If I build another, I'd try their Stainless Alloy and Bright Iron in very small amounts.  I did this last and didn't put on any fixer or thinner over it.  I might go back and do that as it tones down the pigments significantly.

Stuart

Offline WD

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2022, 10:06:20 AM »
Thanks Stuart, it's certainly worth a try.

Warren