Author Topic: Ugh..Flyboys  (Read 3482 times)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Ugh..Flyboys
« on: April 23, 2012, 04:24:49 PM »
It was on TV commercial free soooo....Now there's the movie that all I can think of is "What coulda been. " Moments of not bad CG likr an Airfix boxtop combined with an abuse of history. Either make it up completely like a comic book or stick completely to the truth. Just my take.....

Steve

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Ugh..Flyboys
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 04:47:08 PM »
I've watched the movie twice now and both times I did enjoy it. No, it is not historically correct and some of the scenes are a bit unrealistic, but as a movie where there is a lot of flying and action it is not too bad. We will have to wait until Peter Jackson brings out his epic, that "should"  be pretty accurate and will have genuine or exact replica aircraft.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 04:55:59 PM »
The Hobbit is going to have WWI aircraft!!!?? All kidding aside his effort would more than likely be superb.

Offline NP

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 05:33:37 PM »
A few years ago a client came into my old office (I'd known him for ages) and saw a model I had on the mantle and told me he had been one of the assistant Directors on Flyboys and "If I'd known you were into that we'd have had you down, dressed you up and you could have been an extra" 

GAAAGH! what could have been eh?  - Errol Flynn, Malcolm McDowell,...NP!

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 09:33:01 AM »
It may not be widely known that Sir Peter Jackson has made a WW1 flying movie and it is simply breathtaking. It can only be seen in the Great Aircraft Hall of the Australian War Memorial at Canberra and is a multi-screen spectacular that runs about 15 minutes. You sit under a real SE5a and beside the Albatros, near the DH9 and the Avro 504K with the Pfalz DXII nearby which only makes for better atmosphere.

The film recreates the era of the Australian airmen on the Western front and can best be described as using "Lord of the Rings" quality visual effects quality on a WW1 flying movie. Squadrons of SE5as, whole Jastas of Fokker D.VIIs, a Camel attacking a balloon, an RE.8 fighting off an Albatros..... it's a sensory overload.

And no, the film is not available on DVD and I understand there are no plans to do so. It's exclusive to the Australian War Memorial.

However in return for Sir Peter making the film I hear his TVAL people were given unique access to the WW1 aircraft and even laser-scanned them for TVAL reproductions....and apparently the data was shared with Wingnut Wings to help in their kit design. So we all benefit!

It's worth going to Canberra solely for this museum and especially to see this film.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 09:51:35 AM »

....You sit under a real SE5a and beside the Albatros, near the DH9 and the Avro 504K with the Pfalz DXII nearby which only makes for better atmosphere....

....It's worth going to Canberra solely for this museum and especially to see this film....

Absolutely agree Dave, the AWM has done a great job. Very atmospheric and the aircraft are immaculate. If anyone is in Canberra, the AWM is a must visit, if only for its extensive Aviation exhibits.

If you dig into their blog, there is some info and photos of their restoration project for the Albatros D.Va (Serial number D5390/17) which is a feature of the display:http://www.awm.gov.au/blog/category/exhibitions/aircraft-1914-1918/

Also see http://www.awm.gov.au/blog/2008/02/28/naked-birds-land-at-memorial/ which has a brief history of the wonderful bird.

There are also some other parts of their website that go into conservation, including the hulking 'G for George Lancaster'.

I believe that WNW/TVAL got a very good opportunity to have a very detailed look at the Albatros.

Cheers,

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 02:55:56 PM »
Gotta get to your part of the world

Steve

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 10:40:14 AM »
I went to the Australian War Memorial last year specifically to see their WW1 aircraft collection, and whilst there watched the film, it was breathtaking. Watching this short film on multi screens while standing among full size WW1 aircraft is truely amazing, it is a feeling I can't explain. The film itself is absolutely brilliant, I'm sure that the War Memorial would make a fortune if they sold the film on DVD.
Any WW1 enthusiast who visits Australia should have the Australian War Memorial on their must do list, it would certainly be worth the trip to Canberra just to see the film.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Flyjunkie

• wherever You go, there You are...
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 12:45:41 AM »
Yeah Flyboys and the Red Baron.. both aren't Historical 100 % correct and the film makers took "liberties" at the story line and such..
But if I want Historical accuracy , i sure as hell do not expect Hollywood to deliver it for me.. or , at least, in a Major motion Picture.. If I want Historical accuracy I will look for Documentaries...

That being Said, i enjoy both films.. I have both of them on DVD. I like the CGI Dogfights and the actual modern replicas used in the films.. I watch both films for just those features..(thought You have to admit, the Love Interests in both Films are gorgeous Ladies indeed... ;))

I just accept both films for what they really are : 50% accurate/ 50% Hollywood .... :D

DEAN ~~~ 8) 8)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 10:09:11 AM by Flyjunkie »
"..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.." ~~ Hunter S. Thompson

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 10:41:57 PM »
Like I mentioned, the CG is good although a bit TOO hectic at times. Im a big fan of Sgt Rock etc but I take that for what it is- a comic book.  The Rocketeer with the Gee Bees etc - very cool too ( I think Dave Stevens was a GREAT illustrator and I miss his stuff) My contention is history has some truley amazing, exciting, eye catching stories-told straight up. Hollywood, and I use that to cover the big productions , has produced some excellent historical films (note the serious stuff is a film, the fluff is a movie ;)) about royalty etc. Were these close to the truth? They would have to be or we wouldnt know who it was about. Proof that it can be done. On the other hand  I enjoyed Jean Reno because I think he took the whole thing pretty lightly (The Professional is still his best.) James Franco - yikes - he is a miss in everything I've seen. IMDB doesnt even list the German ace who I thought was terrific as the, and I repeat, comic book Prussian. Why couldnt he have a waxed moustache to twiddle as he picks off the poor, unwitting Americans? The Neiuports taxiing out of the mist etc - mmmmm k that was cool too as was the general field maintenance scenes. See I tried to like it. I really did...... 

Offline Flyjunkie

• wherever You go, there You are...
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 11:40:29 AM »
Like I mentioned, the CG is good although a bit TOO hectic at times. Im a big fan of Sgt Rock etc but I take that for what it is- a comic book.  The Rocketeer with the Gee Bees etc - very cool too ( I think Dave Stevens was a GREAT illustrator and I miss his stuff) My contention is history has some truley amazing, exciting, eye catching stories-told straight up. Hollywood, and I use that to cover the big productions , has produced some excellent historical films (note the serious stuff is a film, the fluff is a movie ;)) about royalty etc. Were these close to the truth? They would have to be or we wouldnt know who it was about. Proof that it can be done. On the other hand  I enjoyed Jean Reno because I think he took the whole thing pretty lightly (The Professional is still his best.) James Franco - yikes - he is a miss in everything I've seen. IMDB doesnt even list the German ace who I thought was terrific as the, and I repeat, comic book Prussian. Why couldnt he have a waxed moustache to twiddle as he picks off the poor, unwitting Americans? The Neiuports taxiing out of the mist etc - mmmmm k that was cool too as was the general field maintenance scenes. See I tried to like it. I really did......

I Hear you Steve.. and You do have Valid points about Films versus Movies... ;)
"..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.." ~~ Hunter S. Thompson

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 02:25:56 PM »
the problem is we are too knowledgeable on the subject. if we werent ww1 modellers/historical buffs we would enjoy the movies for what they are like we enjoy other movies. my problem is although i enjoy much of it certain details irritate me, like the way the rotary engines dont rotate in flyboys, or the role roy brown plays in the 2008 red baron. when you know it didnt happen that way it makes it seem less cool.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 08:40:47 AM »
. . . or the role roy brown plays in the 2008 red baron. when you know it didnt happen that way it makes it seem less cool.

Huh?  :o  You mean he didn't shoot down the Red Baron??  :o :o  Ah geez, the next thing you know someone is going to tell me that Billy Bishop's score isn't accurate!  ;D

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 09:38:45 AM »
Everyone knows MvR's score was inflated with all the times he shot down Snoopy.....

Steve

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 02:24:31 PM »
i'm more talking about how in the begining of the movie mvr shoots brown down in a re8. then later he sees a camel in a feild so mvr lands and walks around having a chat with roy brown. then later mvr nurse who also nursed brown meets brown on the allied side of the lines to visit the grave and ponder . that stuff.