Author Topic: Ugh..Flyboys  (Read 3507 times)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: Ugh..Flyboys
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 10:40:23 PM »
Yup. Why bend history? The Blue Max-sure lets make up a story - fiction is fiction but to pass something off as a historical fact is disdainful. Im sure there are particular historical events that if they were altered would cause an outcry. Revulsion of revisionist history seems to be selective.

Steve

mike in calif

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 04:55:44 AM »
Well, Flyboys is enjoyable as a movie with lots of flying, as is Blue Max. (Ursula Andress didn't hurt either!) For that matter, Dark Blue World told a good story also. I remember a Red Baron movie from when I was real young, around 10-12, which I saw in a theater with another movie about a Zeppelin  being used to launch a rais to steal the Magna Carta; can't remember the titles of those though.
The AWM is very much worth a visit, I was there just after they had restored the Se5a.

Offline Flyjunkie

• wherever You go, there You are...
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 01:38:57 AM »
the problem is we are too knowledgeable on the subject. if we werent ww1 modellers/historical buffs we would enjoy the movies for what they are like we enjoy other movies. my problem is although i enjoy much of it certain details irritate me, like the way the rotary engines dont rotate in flyboys, or the role roy brown plays in the 2008 red baron. when you know it didnt happen that way it makes it seem less cool.

Yes I can understand that view from the aspect of being very knowledgeable about the subject matter.. Trust me, I majored in Archaeology and Native American cultures in College and it always rubs me the wrong way when they misrepresent the Native American Cultures in Movies... :o
"..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.." ~~ Hunter S. Thompson