Author Topic: Hello from another yank  (Read 1588 times)

Offline guitarfool

Hello from another yank
« on: September 26, 2022, 08:57:26 AM »
Hello to all of you on this wonderful forum! My name is Jeff Brown and I live in Annapolis, Maryland USA.
My modelling career ended probably around the same time I took up classical guitar - 1970 or so. I did play around with modelling a bit in the 1980's. I scratch built a Fw61 V1 helicopter in 1:48 but the cat made short work of it not long after it was finished! But I've always been building or working on something in my spare time - goes with being an engineer I guess. Now that I'm retired I have the time to get back into modeling.

I've always been more interested in WWI aircraft. The first model I ever built was the Aurora Nieuport 11 when I was 8 or 9 years old. I went on to build the Fokker Eindecker, Bristol F2b, Fokker DVII and DVIII, Nieuport 28, and others. They were a lot of fun but a far cry from what's available now! So I've been building up a stash of A-model, Super Hobby and Roden kits, and a few (okay, a dozen) WnW kits off of ebay when I could get them for less than twice the original price!

So I'm starting out with the Roden 1:32 Fokker Dr.I like Des suggested. Using the available PE and resin parts and all of the info available here. The cockpit's about halfway there and so far so good!

Offline Dirigible-Al

Re: Hello from another yank
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 03:47:06 AM »
Welcome to the forum Jeff.
Looking forward to seeing your Fokker DR.1. Looks like you have done what most of us WW.I modellers do and built up a stash, I have often wondered if we are the only ones that do this.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 06:32:37 AM »
Welcome aboard Jeff! You're in great company and it's a pleasure to have you here.

I scratch built a Fw61 V1 helicopter in 1:48
That's awesome! Let's see some ph-
but the cat made short work of it not long after it was finished!
Oh. Less awesome, I'm so sorry to hear that! Any chance you're tempted to have another try? I grew up obsessed with helicopters and have long wanted an Fw61 of my own.
Zac in NZ

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 09:35:04 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Jeff.

Thanks for joining our growing international family of WW1 modellers. We look forward to seeing your builds sand hope you enjoy the site and the friendly support of our members.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline guitarfool

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 04:36:38 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Welcome to the forum Jeff.
Looking forward to seeing your Fokker DR.1. Looks like you have done what most of us WW.I modellers do and built up a stash, I have often wondered if we are the only ones that do this.
Alan.
Nah - I build synthesizers and acoustic guitars also. There seems to be a requirement for stockpiling materials and kits among both communities. Glad I'm doing it correctly.

Offline guitarfool

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2022, 04:49:48 AM »
Welcome aboard Jeff! You're in great company and it's a pleasure to have you here.

I scratch built a Fw61 V1 helicopter in 1:48
That's awesome! Let's see some ph-
but the cat made short work of it not long after it was finished!
Oh. Less awesome, I'm so sorry to hear that! Any chance you're tempted to have another try? I grew up obsessed with helicopters and have long wanted an Fw61 of my own.

Sadly I didn't take pictures of it, but I remember all of the details of building it. Had no good drawings - just a small scale 3-view. And I used a Lindberg Steerman kit for the engine and fuselage. I got the idea from someone who did that and wrote it up in a modelling magazine. The engine was close to that of an FW44 Steiglitz (used for the prototype) but the fuse was not. It took tons of filing and Squadron green putty. A vac kit of the Fw44 would be ideal - wouldn't need a ton of lead in the nose to keep it off of its tail!
I believe there is a resin kit of the Fw44 in 1/48 now, but you'd still need a lot of lead in the nose.
I wasn't thinking of building another - until now. :o But my luck would be someone would come out with a kit as soon as I was done. Special Hobby has a kit of the FA223 that was derived from it.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2022, 04:50:09 AM »
Welcome to the family  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2022, 11:04:08 PM »
Jeff,
    Welcome to the Forum and back to the Hobby! I'm looking forward to your contributions to the wonderful community we've built here ....... send photos when you can!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2022, 10:34:49 AM »
Enjoy!!

Steve

Offline IanB

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2022, 11:41:27 PM »
Welcome to the "dark side" of modelling!
This is a great place for tips and advice. I'm looking forward to seeing your builds

Ian

Offline PJ Fisher

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2022, 12:28:04 AM »
Annapolis, Maryland USA.

Greeting from a fellow (former) Marylander.  Fond memories of visiting Annapoliis.

Offline guitarfool

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2022, 01:10:22 PM »
Thanks everyone!

Offline Makikuo

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2022, 10:03:39 PM »
hello everyone, how are you doing?

Online RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2022, 04:09:07 AM »
Welcome to the Forum. It sounds like you had a similar start to Many of us here  8) Your current stash sounds great and I look forward to seeing your builds!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler