Author Topic: Huck Starter build 1:32 scale  (Read 20745 times)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: Huck Starter build 1:32 scale
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2013, 11:17:41 PM »
Looks great with the Se5a. Hope your chain search is successful. Sounds like 1/12 motorcycle kits might be the route to go. Doesnt one of the Japanese model shops sell individual sprues? I remember their site was a real jumble but they had everything. - bingo - Rainbow Hobbys

Steve

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2013, 06:48:58 AM »
Thanks for the tip Steve but I think 1:24 scale would be a closer match to what I am after, the search continues.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2013, 07:45:01 AM »
She's truly brilliant, Des!  She lines up perfectly with the SE.  Almost like she was built with that in mind. ;)
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2013, 04:09:34 PM »
have you tryed to google photoetch roller chain sets? seems like someone has got to be a crazy detailer for 1/24 motorbikes. try a model motocycle forum too.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2013, 06:03:47 PM »
Already done Scott, a 1:24 scale photo etched motor cycle chain is heading my way, I don't know the dimensions of this chain but hopefully it won't look too out of place. If this fails I will be asking for someone who does photo etch to make me a sheet of chain plates, I have the dimensions but I don't have photo etching facilities, I am willing to pay someone for their services.

Des.

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2013, 06:37:08 AM »
Basic p etching can be done with a black permanent marker to draw your parts on brass sheet and electronic stores sell etching fluid that you put the brass sheet in and the unmarked brass is "burned" away. Radio Shack or whatever theyre called now carries it - used for circuit boards I think.

Steve

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2013, 07:11:49 AM »
Thanks Steve for your suggestion.

My biggest issue is the size of the parts I need, very tiny. As you can see by my rough sketch the dimensions are tiny, but I would need as many as these that would fit onto one sheet of brass PE.

Des.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 07:59:40 PM by Des »

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2013, 09:48:15 AM »
  Des,
Jeez that's tiny little links my old friend. But I'd hazard a guess that if you should decide to go with the scratch built chain,you'd pull it off magnificently. 
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

PS: Ever thought for doing the same conversion in 1/16 scale. I believe there's Model T kit available in the scale.
" What Me Worry"

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2013, 11:28:22 AM »
I think I would etch the basic shape then punch the pin ends that cover the holes out of plastic.-or are the holes depressions where they link?

Steve

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2013, 11:51:56 AM »
If I have to go this road, and this will be my last resort, I would use the links as illustrated, the rollers would be 0.5mm brass tube and the individual pins to hold it all together would be 0.3mm brass tube, the pins would slide inside the roller tubes. Total width of the chain including rollers and links would be 2.0mm. It would be a very intricate thing to put together but it is possible, it does not have to be a functional chain as it will be there for show only.

All I need is the name of a company somewhere who could produce the links for me in the sizes I have mentioned, I know there are a few companies who do orders but I don't have any contact information for them.

I am still awaiting the arrival of the 1:24 scale motor bike chain which is a PE chain set with individual links, rollers and pins and is a fully functional roller chain, but like I said, I don't know the size of this chain so it might be too large.

Des.

Offline Vickers

« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2013, 12:05:06 PM »
Very creative use of the Pie Wagon kit, Des!  I think this is the first one I've ever seen depicted in scale. Excellent demonstration of conversion and scratch work, too. It looks excellent paired up with the SE5; marvelous diorama potential in this project.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2013, 02:12:25 AM »
i do have rudimentary pe set. the one you get from micro mark. where i'm limited is the size of the sheet i can produce(3x3 inches) and producing the artwork on a clear mylar sheet. if you want i can try to etch this for you. if you can mail to me your art work arranged in the 3"x3" fret on clear sheet i will try for you. basically how it works the art is printed on a clear sheet. the art must be in negative, so where you want the brass to be eaten away it must be black and the areas that are to remain must be clear. the reason is the black areas prevent the uv light (during the exposing process) from hardening the photosensitive film which has been previously laminated to the brass sheet. after you lay the art on the laminated brass you expose it to uv. next you put this in a sodium hydroxide bath. this will remove the film that wasnt hardened(black areas) therefore exposing the brass to the upcoming ferric chloride acid bath. hopefully if you did a good job and are meticulous and neat the areas you want are dissolved and the areas you want to remain,remain. so like i said. if you want to make the mylar sheet and mail it to me i will try to etch it for you. no charge of course cuz your my ole buddy. pm or email me if you want to ask any questions. actually you need a back and front version of the art on the clear sheet. one side will be the side plates on the fret with the sprue like attachments. the other side will look as if the side plates arent connected to the fret side rails. that way the connecting parts are only half the thickness of the metal. you see what in mean? the acid eats from both sides obviously and you expose both sides with perfectly aligned art work. you can do 2 identical sides but this will make it harder to trim your parts from the fret as the connections will be the full thickness of the metal. i hope i am explaining this as plainly and easy to understand. sometimes its hard to convey thoughts on the web. any questions just pm me.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2013, 04:34:51 AM »
Sorry to come late to the ball, Des, but would any of these work for you?
https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/p/LArsenal+Black+Chain+55+linkscm+50cm+length+CH+257/10002/
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2013, 06:52:55 AM »
Thanks Scott and Bud for your help.

As I said earlier, I am still waiting the arrival of the 1:12 PE motor bike chain, if this proves to be out of scale for my project I will then look at making my own, I will keep you informed.

Des.

Offline Tony Haycock

« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2013, 08:37:10 PM »
Bandai did a 1/16 Model T van which pops up on e-bay fairly regularly

Des,
Jeez that's tiny little links my old friend. But I'd hazard a guess that if you should decide to go with the scratch built chain,you'd pull it off magnificently. 
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

PS: Ever thought for doing the same conversion in 1/16 scale. I believe there's Model T kit available in the scale.