Author Topic: Huck Starter build 1:32 scale  (Read 20711 times)

Offline ALBATROS1234

Re: Huck Starter build 1:32 scale
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2013, 09:29:08 PM »
coming along very nicely des.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2013, 11:48:36 PM »
Nice detail work. Which a/c is this going to be linked to or is it a free standing project?

Steve

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »
I made the frame work to hold the large gear for the starter shaft, the frame is made from various sizes of brass tube. I also had to make the drive gear (sprocket) for the chain to run over. The whole assembly is quite solid and well braced. The top bar needs to have a rope either end with the rear tied to the tray body and the front will support the drive shaft.

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2013, 08:02:51 PM »
I have done a mock starting set-up using my Se.5a, the drive shaft from the Huck Starter needs to have the coupling for the prop, there will also be another two support bars at the front of the vehicle holding the drive shaft.

Des.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2013, 12:49:23 AM »
Brilliant, Des!  I love it!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2013, 12:55:10 AM »
It's going to make a great looking display Des.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2013, 02:43:52 AM »
  Des,
Outstanding mock up my old friend. The Huck's Starter is excellent and beautifully constructed. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed diorama. Did you ever find a chain at scale or near it for the chaindrive?
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2013, 06:28:47 AM »
Gregory - There are quite a few companies that make micro roller chains but unfortunately they are all too large for my project, so a lot of head scratching will have to be done to come up with something suitable.

Des.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2013, 07:06:29 AM »
  Des,
I wonder if any of these Huck Starter's may have been converted to belt drive? If so you could use several layers of decal stripes as the belt. Just a thought.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2013, 07:13:00 AM »
I have not seen any photos of a belt drive being utilised, but I do have photos where the chain is covered by metal tubing the full length from floor to just before the sprocket at the top, only the small amount of chain that runs around the sprocket is exposed, this would be one way out of having to make a long length of chain. Food for thought but would not look as good as seeing the full length chain.

I was thinking of going to a few toy shops and having a look at their toy motor bikes, they might have a roller chain (plastic would be good) that could be used if it is the appropriate size, just a thought.

Des.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2013, 12:43:44 PM »
Gregory - There are quite a few companies that make micro roller chains but unfortunately they are all too large for my project, so a lot of head scratching will have to be done to come up with something suitable.

Des.

I was afraid of that. :(

FWIW, an observation that only segments between the sprockets need to be open. If I were modeling this, I think this is what I might try first. Essentially a sandwich of sprocket wheels. "roller chain sides" . On the straight lengths small wire for the rollers. On the sprockets, simply notch the circle to represent the teeth and rollers:

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
Thanks Red for your input, notes have been taken. I have seen a few 1:24 scale motor bike kits so the chains on them might be getting close to the correct size, the roller chain used on the Huck Starter was quite beefy.

Des.

Offline Andi Little

« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2013, 11:42:23 PM »
Hi Des'... [first time caller]................

Here's an example of a 1/9 scale chain used in a 1/24th scale context: although these are built up as individual working links, but even this wildly out of scale the difference still makes a "believable" heavy duty chain??
So you may be onto something using the 1/24th within a 1/32 configuration - only problem I can see is cutting and shutting the chain in order to get it to fit your required layout - but just a case of fiddlin' till it fits I guess?

Your Huck starter is an excellent build by the way - enjoyed that on it's own - even though I was supposed to be here for the Aircraft!!!

Although .................. !! sorry for this...........
The rear axle on your vehicle: Ford TT, is a worm gear drive which actually attaches to the upper [top] portion of the axle casing and not at the axle midpoint as you have it - an easy fix to snip it off and bend up gently - re-attach.

And one I made earlier.............

Hope I've been helpful rather than blotting my copybook already?? .......... Cheers for now.............................
KBO ............. Andi.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2013, 07:40:27 AM »
Thanks Andi for the heads up on the tail shaft diff connection, all I did was to follow the instructions which at best are very vague.

Thanks also for the photo of the roller chain, this is exactly what I am after but as you know, in a smaller scale, the hunt continues.

Des.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2013, 06:06:51 PM »
Apart from the roller chain the Huck Starter is finished. I made all the final prop starting drive mechanism and have it set up to suit the SE.5a. I also made and fitted a battery to the left side of the vehicle, and made and fitted the lever for actuating the drive gear from the gearbox. Now comes the battle to find a suitable roller chain, if my search fails I will have to comtemplate making one, some how....

Des.