Author Topic: Huck Starter build 1:32 scale  (Read 20690 times)

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: Huck Starter build 1:32 scale
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 07:38:56 AM »
  Des,
I'm not positive but believe small ships chains are available from anybody selling ship fittings for wooden ships. I've never seen any with the square profile but those I have seen are semi round in profile and do look the part at least on ships. I'll check around with the suppliers I use and see what I can come up with for you. Maybe some of our armor modeling friends will be able to come up a suitable chain or a good subsitute.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 08:00:20 AM »
I'm also not certain, Des, but I could swear that I saw this type of chain on a web site (sorry, can't remember which one) for model car detail parts.  I think I found it while searching for instruments a few years back.  Good luck, mate.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 08:18:56 AM »
That is a very good question Chris, and a question I am looking for answers to. Does anyone know where I can source very small square chains or something similar, any help in this area would be very much appreciated.

Below is a picture of the type of chain I am chasing, it's the same as a motorbike chain.

Des.

The stuff is called "roller chain" -- you can find functional miniature roller chain made of plastic resin; the smallest I could find so far is .4 mm wide -- too big I suppose?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#roller-chain/=l5yeik

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 08:25:23 AM »
sorry I read it wrong ... more like 1.5mm wide (0.06")

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 08:26:28 AM »
  Des,
Try Here: http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/caldercraft_modernchains.html

And Here too:http://www.model-dockyard.com/acatalog/Billing_Chain.html
                     http://www.model-dockyard.com/acatalog/Amati_Chain.html

If you remember My Renault Airfield Truck these are the type of chain I used for the project. I hope this help you out my old friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 08:47:53 AM by GAJouette »
" What Me Worry"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 08:51:07 AM »
Thanks Gregory, Bud and Bo for the information, I now have some research to do.

Bo - the link you gave appears to be the exact chain I am after, I will have to work out my scale size and see if they have anything to suit.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Todd Holaday

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 10:52:40 AM »
i think there are several styles available in the model railroad sector.  ive seen several at our local hobby shop and thought they were so cool that i should find a use for them

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 12:32:59 AM »
Bo, I looked at your chain link (nyuk nyuk) but couldnt find the .06" I have a couple of 1/24th projects Im playing with and it would be very useful.

Steve

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 01:35:27 AM »
Bo, I looked at your chain link (nyuk nyuk) but couldnt find the .06" I have a couple of 1/24th projects Im playing with and it would be very useful.

Steve

It's there -- it's the smallest pitch. .123"? Something like that. The C dimension is .06" (width)

I've used this stuff before on art projects and it is amazingly cool.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 02:18:59 AM »
Great stuff guys!  Thanks for sharing this info. 

. . .and Gregory, I LOVE that Renault airfield truck!  Not to hijack the thread, but can you tell us a little more about it?  Scale, etc.?  Thanks.

Bob

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, 03:35:32 AM »
  Bob,
It's from an old project in 1/32 scale. If there's enough interest I could repost the thread. Thanks for your kindly remarks my old friend,very much appreciated.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 07:36:04 AM »
Thanks Bo. If I had read a little more carefully I would have seen the 06 is width. I was getting greedy and was looking for 06 pitch. Still, Im going to get some.

Steve

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2013, 03:23:17 AM »
I have had three very busy days this week so little was done on the Model T/Huck Starter. I managed to perform major surgery on the mudguards and ended up with just the front mudguards and part of the running boards, these have now been fixrd to the chassis. I also completed the wheels and they are also fitted, the tyres are not too bad and are a tight fit on the rims, so no glue needed. All engine covers are glued together and fixed to the radiator and firewall, it will be painted today.

Des.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2013, 10:00:32 AM »
Just a few tiny steps while I wait for materials to arrive in the mail. The front end is now painted, had a bit of trouble getting all the engine covers to fit properly but I won out in the end, marvelous what a big hammer will do. I also added the mudguard stays, these are just 0.6mm copper wire bent to shape.

Des.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2013, 10:33:17 AM »
Even with being away from your bench for three days, you're still making remarkably good progress. I'm with you when it comes to big tools. Why use sandpaper when a grinder is a much more efficient way of removing material.  ;D

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.