Author Topic: Huck Starter build 1:32 scale  (Read 20692 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Huck Starter build 1:32 scale
« on: January 18, 2013, 07:23:04 PM »
I have decided to have a go at converting my old Pyro (1967) T Model Ford Pie Wagon into a Huck Starter. The chassis length of the pie wagon is pretty close to the correct length for the Hucks. The Pyro kit is very basic, when I say basic I mean really basic, hardly any detail at all, the sprues are done in a light blue with the plastic being very hard, there is a lot of flash on all sprues. It has four vinyl tyres which are not too bad and a sprue of clear parts which I will not need, also the brass parts apart from the radiator will not be used. This will be an interesting project and if it works it will go well with a diorama setting, the starting mechanism can be adjusted to suit all types of aircraft.

Des.

This is what I hope to create, the vehicle itself is very crude having all the usual T Model Ford lights and horn removed, no windscreen and not even a proper seat, a plain wooden box is fitted at the back. There is a wood platform at the front so a guy can stand there and fit the starting mechanism to the propeller.

This is the Pyro kit from where I will be starting, looks good on the box front but believe me it is not what is inside the box, stuff that nightmares are made of.  :o

« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 01:09:25 PM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline gcn

Re: Hucks Starter build
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 07:26:33 PM »
Knowing your scratchbuilding abilities Des you'll probably only keep the box.

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 07:37:59 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 06:22:48 AM »

Wrong; he'll use it to add scratch built details to the Build! ;D ::)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Todd Holaday

Re: Hucks Starter build 1:32 scale
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 06:30:42 AM »
I plan on trying the same thing with my Lindberg 1:32 Model T some day.  I'm glad I hadn't already built it.  I started looking for material yesterday and was amazed at the quanitity of photos available for this and the variety of chassis used for the platform.  Should be fun to watch you do your build log!

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 11:15:43 AM »
Thats gonna start as a Vintage Brass Car and turn into a Bad Br-ass Hucks Starter...not much of a play on words - Im looking forward to the build!!

Steve

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 11:29:30 AM »
I plan on trying the same thing with my Lindberg 1:32 Model T some day.  I'm glad I hadn't already built it.  I started looking for material yesterday and was amazed at the quanitity of photos available for this and the variety of chassis used for the platform.  Should be fun to watch you do your build log!

Todd,
You might want to consider getting a hold of the old Pyro Model T for your project . The Lindberg is a repop of the old Pyro kit but the molds are really showing their age with massive warping of parts and beaucoupe flash. I'd bought a total of three for conversions and found them lacking and all had the same problems warping.  Whatever you deside I'll be looking forward to seeing you Hucks come to life.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Todd Holaday

Re: Huck Starter build 1:32 scale
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 02:31:57 PM »
Thanks for the advice on the Lindberg kit.  It was so cheap and unusual to find a kit in the right period and scale I bought it last summer.  It's pretty bad, but I thought maybe I could do something like this with it.  I'll watch the log Des will probably put together and that will help me make up my mind to use mine or buy the Pyro.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 11:28:42 PM »
I had never heard of a Huck Starter before this.  Very interesting, and wonderful to see so much interest and information on it.  Thanks!  Once again, we can all go to school on Des. ;D

Regards,

Bob

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 12:55:10 PM »
I have made a start with the conversion. The very basic 'undercarriage' has been modified especially the rear axle assembly, I also had to scratch the entire front axle/suspension assembly as the kit supplied item was totally wrong. I am using Humbrol No.31 Slate Grey which is fairly close to the colour used on a few machines I have seen on the net.

Des.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 12:51:18 PM »
Good start. They are pretty basic machines so getting all the details like you have makes all the difference!!

Steve

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 01:20:10 PM »
  Des,
Excellent progress my old friend. I'm looking forward to seeing this project getting the full treatment in detail. Maybe not as detailed as your Packard but I've no doubts you'll come up with a finished project just as awesome. Eager to follow this project.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 02:00:05 AM »
Brilliant start on this one, Des.  I'm going to enjoy watching this one as I did your last.  Thanks for breaking ground on these Pyro conversions.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 12:19:32 AM »
This will be fun to watch. All of that tubular steel construction in the 1:1 conversion will be perfect for your skills with brass tubing. What do you plan to use for the drive chain?

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 07:23:39 AM »
That is a very good question Chris, and a question I am looking for answers to. Does anyone know where I can source very small square chains or something similar, any help in this area would be very much appreciated.

Below is a picture of the type of chain I am chasing, it's the same as a motorbike chain.

Des.