Author Topic: 1/48 Eduard Albatros D.Va (Otto Fuchs Jasta 77b)  (Read 4733 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Re: 1/48 Eduard Albatros D.Va (Otto Fuchs Jasta 77b)
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2022, 08:51:39 AM »
Magic!
Zac in NZ

Offline Luftace

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2022, 02:03:07 PM »
Thanks Zac!

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2022, 01:02:28 AM »
Wow, your work on this model is amazing, Chad. Very impressive indeed.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Luftace

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2022, 02:44:05 PM »
Thank you for the kind words Gary, more to come.  ;)

Chad

Online FAf

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2022, 10:41:33 PM »
Proper Albatros scourge here at the Forum! And what lovely work you are showing us!
/Fredrik

EDIT Not often one can write the exact same thing in three different threads at once. 😀
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 11:45:14 PM by FAf »

Offline Luftace

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2022, 01:23:27 PM »
@FAf

Ha, indeed! Thanks for the kind words.

Hi all!

Been making more progress and I need to make an update or two before I get too far ahead of myself.

Here I will be finishing up the control stick and showing the other details I added to do so.

The kit control yoke was much too thick for my liking, so it had to go. I scratchbuilt my own with styrene rod and stretched sprue. The grips made from the rod were rounded on their ends and had holes drilled on the top and bottom as per reference photos where the grip frame protruded from the top and bottom.

Here is the hand grips assembled

Next would be the thumb triggers for the guns.

I started with a humble styrene circle, 1.8mm in diameter

Not much for in progress on this, but I'll endeavor to explain the procedure.

First i scribed a line down the center of the circle with my razor saw. At the top of the line I used a triangle needle file to file in a notch. I cut off the sides at an angle to the bottom of the center line, essentially creating a "heart" shape. I carefully sanded the top lobes of the "heart" to make them round. Using a needle, I made dimples for drill guides on the "heart", one at the top of each lobe and one at the bottom point. Using a couple different sized drill bits, I twisted them with my fingers at each dimple just enough to only remove so much plastic as to just create a slightly larger depression. Once that was done, I used my razor saw to finish sawing through the center line to give me two separate triggers as seen here. BTW, those two little scrap strips at the bottom of the mat are actually what the triggers will be attached to. Also, this is the second attempt, I got all the way as described up to sawing the completed triggers in half the rest of the way. On the final swipe with the saw, one half launched into the nether, never to be seen again. Such is the bane of we model builders.

Next I had to make the attachment point for the triggers. I simplified it to just a simple wedge shape, good enough for its small size. Dunno if it will even be seen once completed, but here is what I did anyways.

I took a piece of 1mmx1mm square stock and drilled a hole all the way through with a #80 drill bit.

i then turned it over 90 degrees and sawed a slot to a depth just past the hole previously drilled.

I then inserted and glued a piece of stretched sprue through the holes. Here the slot shows up just a little better.

That little speck just below center of the image is the mounting point for the triggers awaiting to be glued to the stick. I cut it at 90 degrees on the non slotted end, and cut the slotted end at approximately 45 degrees. The sprue was trimmed so that just a nub protruded on each side.

Now, actually mounting the triggers to the yoke was a rather hair-pulling experience. I don't have any in progress pictures of that as a result, but I basically glued a couple of very thin slivers of plastic to the trigger mount I made earlier and then had to glue each trigger half to each of those slivers. It is tiny! Hopefully this can be seen a bit in the completion photos further down.

I wanted to make attachment points for the control cables on the stick. I drilled through the side of it with a #80 drill bit, threaded a piece of stretched sprue through the stick, which I then trimmed off leaving only nubs on either side.

To finish it up, a few rings were cut from stretch cotton swabs and CA glued onto the stick to match my reference photos. So, the final pictures of the finished stick. (Note, the throttle is not added to the left grip yet. I will fabricate and attach that later so I don't end up breaking it off before final assembly of the interior.)

That's it for this post. I will be making another right after I upload this one. We will start on the engine next, and hopefully show you guys some tricks that I haven't seen anyone else use yet, so you will be the first to see it. Stay tuned, and thanks much for following along.

Chad

« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 04:28:19 PM by Luftace »

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2022, 03:28:48 PM »
Fantastic detail work on the column  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Luftace

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2022, 03:31:32 PM »
@Alexis
Thanks very much! I'm happy with it but glad to finally be moving on to other areas of the build.

Now for the engine, at least the start of it.

I wanted to replace the undersized engine that Eduard provides with something more to scale and better detailed. Finding an after market Mercedes D.IIIa seems to be about as rare as hen's teeth these days. Have now acquired several, some of the nice Vector engines as well as an old but very nice Hi-Tech one from France. I got those after I started with what I will show you. Initially I started with an Engines and Things resin engine, but the ones I got were, shall we say, less than desirable in molding quality. So, I will be using a spare from one of my Roden 1/48 Fokker D.VII kits.

Here are the unaltered parts straight from the parts tree. This is a very nice basis on which to add further details. Unfortunately, some of the parts are used for both the Mercedes and BMW engines on the common parts tree, such as the rocker arm covers, propeller shaft as well as the post on the back of the engine with the decompression lever at the top.

First I scraped off the molded on spark plug wires and drilled holes to accept spark plugs which I will add later.

Next I removed what was supposed to represent the tube that carried the spark plug leads. The one on the left has had this detail removed while the one on the right is shown beforehand as a comparison.

I made the propeller shaft from brass tube and a styrene disc. It was quite a chore to get the disc drilled through on center and then having to sand the outer edges to get it to fit into its recess. It still ended up being a tighter fit than I had wanted, meaning the shaft will not spin now, but at least it will hold a propeller, hopefully. Also notice that the space between each of the cylinders has been cleaned up. These were all completely flashed over to start with. A sharp #11 blade and some sandpaper did the job nicely.

Here is the main engine assembly glued together and cleaned up ready for further detailing.

Now for some fun stuff that I promised you guys in the last post.

I needed a duplicate of the Roden supplied rocker covers part. This is how I did it, in plastic.

Here is the original part and a block of Oyumaru (Thermo plastic used for making impressions and molds).

Following the product instructions, place the thermoplastic (Not the kit part!) into boiling water until it is soft, about 30 seconds or so. Fish it out with a spoon and immediately press the master part into the thermoplastic, pressing around it to alleviate any gaps and achieving a good impression.

The mold should be cool enough to extract the master after a few minutes. I had measured the master part and cut out parts ahead of time that were roughly the size of the original from .020"/.5mm thick sheet styrene. The large squares are 2mmx2mm and the small ones are 1mmx1mm.

Brush a thin layer of "sprue goo" into the mold. Allow this to set up for at least an hour for best results. You could immediately move onto the next step, but you will be more likely to introduce unwanted air bubbles. Ask me how I know.  Just in case someone does not know what "sprue goo" is, it is pieces of cut up left over sprue added to about half a bottle of Tamiya extra thin cement. You can vary the consistency depending on the ratio of plastic to glue.

After the goo has had time to set up, brush in another layer and then add the styrene pieces into their respective cavities. Apply one more layer over these so that they are completely covered. Allow to cure for a minimum of 24 hours. You can pull the part sooner and have an excellent impression, but it will be soft and can warp significantly. That is why it is important to leave it in the mold until fully cured. Using rough cut styrene reduces the amount of "sprue goo" needed and speeds up the process considerably. You could do the whole thing with just "sprue goo", but it will take several applications to get to the desired thickness as it will shrink back as the solvent evaporates.

Here is the part pulled straight from the mold and compared to the original master part. It is an exact duplicate in plastic in every detail, just with a little extra flash, but that is easily dealt with, see below.

To remove the excess flash, place the part on a flat piece of sandpaper and begin sanding. Starting with something moderately coarse should do, just check your progress often as you go so you don't sand too much. The flash will completely separate from the part when you have sanded it to the correct thickness. No need to sand further. It is done, unless you just want to polish out some of the scratches to make the bottom a bit smoother, but you should not be trying to take away any more material.

The center area running the length of the entire part needs to be added with 1mm width x .5 mm height half round styrene rod. I didn't have any on hand so I had to precariously cut my own from 1mm round rod with my chopping tool. Not easy, but I managed ok. Also, using the original part as a guide where they had the locating pins placed, I glued in 1mm x .5mm flat strips at the front and back of the part so that it will sit level and not roll when installed on top of the engine cylinders later.

Here is the original part on the left with the duplicate one on the right. If these had a coat of primer on them you would not be able to tell them apart. Exactly the point of this whole thing, right? Never mind that one of the rocker arm spring disc thingy broke off on one of the boxes, they will all be cut off and replaced anyways.

Just like this.

Speaking of springs and rocker arms, here they are. I used thin steel wire I had salvaged from something (old violin string unraveled I think?), annealed it to make it more pliable, which had the added affect of giving it a slightly darkened patina. This was wound around a 27 GA hypodermic needle (the same diameter of a #80 drill bit) and then cut to lengths of 1mm. The arms are steel beading wire bent into an "L" shape and flattened with pliers on top. The flat portion is trimmed to a length of 1mm and the longer round portion is 3mm. The longer length is intentional so as to be able to plug these securely into holes drilled on top of the cylinders. Also, the "caps" for the springs are punched styrene discs .005" thick by .8mm diameter, center drilled with my trusty #80 drill bit. Easier said than done, but I got it done!

The carburetors were another part that was only provided singly in the Roden kit, so I scratched those too. Large cylinders are 1mm rod cut to 2mm length, capped with .005" x 1.4mm styrene discs. The smaller ones attached to the bottom of those were .5mm rod cut to 1mm length. Shown here in comparison to the original still on the parts tree and in situ on the air intake manifold assembly.

Lastly for now is the decompression lever assembly, kit part on the left, scratch built one on the right. I took measurements of the kit part and made them accordingly out of styrene stock and rod. The base is 2mm square (slightly narrower on mine because close enough is just fine here for me), the post is approximately 1.5mm width x 6mm length. The Dished shaped piece was a bit of a head scratcher at first. I ended up using thin sheet styrene to punch out discs of different diameters and stack them, constantly referring to the original part for sizing. To get a smooth transition without steps between the stacked discs I applied some "sprue goo" and this worked nicely. A few gentle swipes of a fine sanding stick removed any bumps after it had cured. The lever is stretched sprue with "sprue goo" applied to the tip to fill out what is to be the wooden handle. the cylinder it is attached to is a piece of stretched cotton swab with a hole drilled through the top for the lever to fit into.

That's all for now. More to come. Lemme know what you think, see ya again soon.

Chad

« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 04:00:41 PM by Luftace »

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2022, 04:10:29 PM »
Hi Chad - looking good - what did you use to scrape off the ignition wire tubes? I had a heck of a time with these when trying the same on my Eduard build.

Cheers,

BC

Offline Luftace

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2022, 04:18:08 PM »
@Brad

I just used my Tamiya sprue nippers to cut out the majority of it, angling in at each cylinder as close as I could get and cutting out triangle chunks of it between each cylinder. The remaining nubs left on the outside face of each cylinder were also cut as flush as possible with the nippers. Afterwards the remaining material was not unlike cleaning up a regular sprue attachment point with some light scraping with a #11 blade and polishing out with sanding sticks and folded sandpaper between the cylinders. Hope that helps, lemme know if you need more clarification.

Chad
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 01:14:09 PM by Luftace »

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2022, 06:43:11 PM »
Thank you my friend - I have a very old Roden D.IIIa engine salvaged from a very old Fokker D.VII build which has long gone to God, which I might try something similar with... it will be quite an effort to recover, but hey, choices are a bit limited. Hopefully some day we'll see another aftermarket D.IIIa engine...

Thanks again!

Brad

Offline Luftace

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2022, 11:20:41 AM »
@ Brad

No problem! Hopefully the Roden engine is salvageable enough for you. I think they are fantastic for what they are and a nice canvas to add finer scratchbuild details I would add myself anyways. With 3d printing becoming more prevalent, I think it is only a matter of time before someone does a nicely detailed Mercedes D.IIIa.

Chad
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 08:07:12 AM by Luftace »

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2022, 10:26:03 PM »
Wow!  Thanks for the tutorial on making the rocker cover.  Your attention to detail is something to behold. 

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2022, 07:30:44 AM »
Wow!  Thanks for the tutorial on making the rocker cover.  Your attention to detail is something to behold.
Hear hear - fascinating and aspirational work, Chad!
Zac in NZ

Offline Luftace

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2022, 08:08:08 AM »
@ Tim and Zac

Thanks very much guys, glad you like it so far!