Author Topic: Build Log - Eduard 8113 Albatros DV  (Read 10775 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Re: Build Log - Eduard 8113 Albatros DV
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2023, 06:28:03 AM »
Very nice work Brad - tidy job with the shims and the replacement gear really do help the look.
Zac in NZ

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2023, 10:49:31 AM »
Brilliant work so far, Brad. The nail-head lines are especially great. Your correction for the undercarriage legs is a “must have” for this model since the kit offerings make it look stumpy as you’d described. Looking forward to your progress with great anticipation.
Cheers,
Gary

Online Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2023, 12:21:30 PM »
Excellent work Brad. That engine is just amazing!

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2023, 05:59:19 PM »
Hi everyone! This one has been battling me in the painting stages, and boy, she fought me all the way.... but I wanted to post some progress to keep myself motivated...

The undersides were pre-shaded in light brown, and the light blue went down over the top. No dramas there.

I pre-shaded the upper fabric surfaces in a dark brown to start with. I mixed the lilac colour myself; whilst it looked more 'brown' in the cup, it came out quite...well... pink. I tried to adjust this with some brown oversprays, but it's still quite pink. Not wanting to have to re-start, I said "fine, pink it is", and moved to the green. Well, I was happier with the green mix that I made, but I stuffed up the feathered edges a few times. Arg. This meant I had to go heavier as I moved the edge masks, which meant I lost the pre-shading at the colour boundaries. This meant I had to go back with some more masking tape over the ribs and some post-shading to even the shading effect out. Even then it's a bit obvious. Arg. After all of that, here's how it came out:

So, gritting my teeth, next came the simulation of the ply fuselage. I used a base colour of very light tan (white with a dash of brown), and used oils to simulate the 'wood'. I use a mix of raw umber, burnt sienna, yellow ochre, black and white for this step, the aim being to have quite a significant contrast at this stage, knowing that subsequent stages of painting will really pull this effect back. Now, in the depths of winter here in Australia, it took well over a week and a half for the oils to try. See if you can spot the fingerprints where I 'tested' how dry the oil paints were (or weren't...)... sigh!! Here's how she looked at this point (the excessive contrast is deliberate and quite apparent at this point):

Next, I did some coatings of clear yellow, which helps to 'pull' the panels together visually a little more (noting there's still a little bit of contrast, which will again be 'pulled down' with washes and flat coats):

Next, the cowlings, again my own mix of grey with some pre-shading and tonal variations here and there:

At this stage, she looked like this:

Next, came some selective gloss coating with brush-painted Future, and decals. The future worked too well, and the decals stuck hard and fast once on the surface. Many decals got ripped at various points in trying to manoeuvre them into place, which is obvious if you look closely. Darn!). Some of the decals were also slightly out of register, sadly. Oh well, no going back now...

Then came another clear coat, and an oil wash. First, the wings (I made the aileron actuators from sheet styrene and wire, as the kit etched parts proved impossible to fold...):

And here is where she stands:

As you can see, the various stages and washes 'tone down' the panel contrast, but leave enough of a contrast for the model to be visually interesting, I think?

There's still more weathering to do, and some more effects i'll try with some thinned oils, but I am just happy that I have made it this far.

Given how long it's taken me to get to here, in the interests of trying to give myself a chance of more build completions this year, I have set myself a completion date of end of June, so we'll see how we go. I find that once I get to this stage, things generally tend to pick up pace to completion. Fingers crossed things from here don't give me as much grief as the painting stage...!

Thanks for looking - all comments, criticisms and feedback welcomed as always!

Cheers,

BC

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2023, 06:24:02 PM »
In a word BEAUTIFUL
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Online Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2023, 10:56:33 PM »
Well Brad, any trouble this build has given you is definitely not evident from your pictures. You certainly have mastered this one.  Looking forward to seeing more!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2023, 11:05:07 PM »
In a word BEAUTIFUL

Yep! Another word would be Brilliant!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline FAf

« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2023, 11:48:23 PM »
Wow!
I know your troubles might be staring you in the face, but that is a very nice looking model! Great wood representation!
/Fredrik

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2023, 11:59:15 PM »
Proof we are our own worst critic! I think she looks fantastic. The colours work, the wood effect works and the weathering works. Lots of character there.

Steve

Offline DaveB

« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2023, 01:38:41 AM »
Amazing work, Brad -

Great wood tone to the fuselage too!

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2023, 07:38:49 AM »
Big thanks everyone, I really appreciate the kind and encouraging words, especially from excellent modellers such as yourselves!  :)

Thanks again,

Brad

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2023, 06:07:41 PM »
Hi Brad,
"Now, in the depths of winter here in Australia, it took well over a week and a half for the oils to try. See if you can spot the fingerprints where I 'tested' how dry the oil paints were (or weren't...)... sigh!!"

I use the ‘Windsor & Newton’ Griffin Alkyd oil paints.
Same range of colours and brushed the same with moistened white spirit brush.
Same results as standard oil paints, but no need to leech out linseed oil beforehand and the are touch dry within 30 minutes.
Fully cured withing around 24 hours,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2023, 09:34:31 PM »
Beautiful wood grain effect, Brad.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2023, 02:33:15 AM »
Brad,
    I'll add to Mike's suggestion here that if you prefer to stay with the oil based wood grain application investigate Winsor&Newton "Liquin Original". It's a product that accelerates the drying process and is impressive in reducing drying time to approximately 24 hours. I've used it for years and it has never failed. Just mix a small brush full into a "blob" of your oil paint about the size of the recess on a Humbrol paint lid (probably a 10% mix of Liquin to paint) and use your normal woodgraining technique. It has saved me from the fingerprint trap since I started using it!

Cheers,
Lance

Hi Brad,
"Now, in the depths of winter here in Australia, it took well over a week and a half for the oils to try. See if you can spot the fingerprints where I 'tested' how dry the oil paints were (or weren't...)... sigh!!"

I use the ‘Windsor & Newton’ Griffin Alkyd oil paints.
Same range of colours and brushed the same with moistened white spirit brush.
Same results as standard oil paints, but no need to leech out linseed oil beforehand and the are touch dry within 30 minutes.
Fully cured withing around 24 hours,

Mike

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2023, 02:53:35 AM »
Personally I Like the Longer drying time. I found the Resin  Oils to be difficult to work with when doing wood finishes larger than a floorboard  :-[  The only concession I make to speeding things up is using Testors Airbrush thinner as it is Hotter than Oderless Turps ! As your results speak for themselves I think Leaving your method as is might be wise  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler