Author Topic: Build Log - Eduard 8113 Albatros DV  (Read 10383 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Re: Build Log - Eduard 8113 Albatros DV
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2022, 06:02:22 AM »
Exquisite work Brad. The paintjob on the exhaust is beautiful!

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2022, 10:48:13 PM »
Amazing work on the model, Brad. That work on the interior forms and engine is very impressive indeed. Looking forward to seeing how you manage the rest of the build.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2022, 11:08:09 PM »
Certainly not easy work but your photos and descriptions make it very clear what your process is!!

Steve

Offline ondra

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2022, 11:09:51 PM »
This is brilliant, Brad, will be following with great interest!

Cheers

Ondra

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2022, 05:40:34 AM »
For goodness sake Brad, just when I think I might be getting a hand on this modelling lark something like this comes along - Brilliant  ;D

Love an Albie and have stocked up on popcorn waiting for the next instalment

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2022, 08:14:04 AM »
Thanks all! This one is far from perfect but I am having fun so far, I really appreciate the encouragement :)

No more progress on this one this week so far (work is kicking my behind this week), but here's a little size comparison with a standard #11 blade.

Zac - I can't claim the paint job on the exhaust; the REX exhausts are metal and this is how they come. I am thinking I could leave it as is and it would still look about right?

Cheers again!

BC

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2022, 09:47:30 PM »
Nice work on the details Brad . For the blot heads , is that standard rod or did you use hex rod ?

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2022, 10:15:26 AM »
Zac - I can't claim the paint job on the exhaust; the REX exhausts are metal and this is how they come. I am thinking I could leave it as is and it would still look about right?
To quote Mutt Summers after the maiden flight of K5054: don't touch a thing!!

Offline phil2015

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2022, 02:16:36 AM »

When you get to this point I'd love to hear about the decals.  I think they switched to the new style ones after this kit was originally issued and I'm wondering if this one has the same subjects redone in the new style or they are just a reprint of the old style decals.

And ... nice work so far  :)

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2022, 01:51:16 PM »
Hi all - progress has been slow, but ongoing... I have kept my focus in the engine bay for now.

The kit engine is mounted on a "C" shaped flat piece of plastic. I decided to trim the back end of this piece off, and make up some formers to sit around the engine bearers. I didn't add too much detail here, as much of this will be hidden.

I now had all of the basic formers in place:

The kit models the front of the fuselage as fully closed off behind the spinner, whereas this area was open on the real aircraft. I thus removed the plastic at the front end and thinned the walls down with a dremel.

Next, I fashioned the small tank that sits next to the engine, using an offcut from the kit sprue sanded to shape:

I added some bearers to the rear engine bay former for the guns:

...and then fashioned the fuel tanks out of laminates of plastic, with a couple of details added:

And with the kit ammo boxes:

I now have all of the essential components needed for the engine bay. It's all starting to take shape...

Cheers!

BC

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2022, 11:29:42 PM »
Amazing craftsmanship!  You make my efforts look like child’s play!   Eagerly looking forward to seeing more. 

Offline FAf

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2022, 03:08:26 AM »
Wow! 😲😲😲
/Fredrik

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2022, 07:30:24 AM »
Excellent work Brad, it looks fantastic! I love seeing the extra work you're doing.

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2022, 04:17:00 PM »
Thanks Tim, Fredrik and Zac!

Another small update today - one of the other aspects to the kit that can do with a little attention is its spinner; it's a little too rounded and slightly too bulbous, which makes the front end of the model look slightly fat. The spinner should be slightly longer and slightly more pointed. Though the difference is only small, it is something that stands out when you look for it.

Accordingly, I tried my hand at vacforming a new spinner. I have a small vacform machine that I purchased some time ago with small jobs like this in mind; so I turned up a master in balsa and vacformed a new spinner. As I said, the difference is only small, but it helps make the business end of the aircraft look sharper.

As the first time really trying this kind of scratchbuilding, I learned a thing or two; firstly, don't go too thin on the plastic; it needs to be able to hold up to handling. Second, if you can avoid it, don't use balsa as a master; I effectively destroyed the master trying to remove it from the plastic once formed. Hey, this is how we learn, right? ;)

Cheers,

BC

Offline William Adair

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2022, 05:09:02 PM »
Nicely done!  That really does look a lot more like it.   :)