Author Topic: Olde Monogram SE.5, 1/48......  (Read 2741 times)

Offline Allan31

Olde Monogram SE.5, 1/48......
« on: June 05, 2022, 03:46:28 AM »
So I've been poking at this 1/48 WW1 subject for several months now. As a child, I had all the old Aurora, SMER, etc. kits spinning from my ceiling. These were some of my first models I built as a child and I've wanted to revisit those for years with my Adult Modeling Skills. Adult Modeling Skills should not be confused with the much more serious underlying condition of Advanced Modelers Syndrome (AMS).

Since I haven't done anything like a serious build on a biplane in 50 or so years, I thought it would be best to dip my toes in with something not-to-expensive that I would regret screwing up.

To that end, a small pile of cheap, old WW1 kits has been amassed, many the same ones that were hanging from my ceiling. I built the old Monogram DVII on a lark as Stachel's aircraft in the book. This is the build that's pushed me down this present rabbit hole.

This looked like the best candidate to figure out and learn painting ribs, rigging, weathering and such to look like the real thing. This kit started life in 1956 as an Aurora kit, subsequently reissued by Monogram in the 70's I think.

The decals look like toast, a shame as I like the blue they used. A friend is sending me some extra Roden decals but after reading about them, I'm not sure if he's really doing me a favor or not.

Armed with this Squadron Signal I jumped in and noticed the dihedral was a bit shallow. I made some cuts on the bottom at the wing joint and fixed it to match the drawings.

While all this cutting and bending was going on I couldn't put my finger on what was wrong with the bottom and then realized a large vent was missing so out came the grinder. About now I'm going from Adult Modeling Skills to Advanced Modelers Syndrome as I could have just painted the hole black.

The struts are the biggest eye sore, I found some replacement candidates in an old SMER DH.2. I will scratch the cabane struts. While there, I pinched some Lewis drums for the coming scratch cockpit. I filled the slots with kit parts and cut flush.

I busied up the top wing to look more like the real deal by sanding away the molded detail and replaced with my "go-to" furnace tape and wire to get some interest going on.

Monogram gave me a seat and joy stick. Out comes the sheet styrene.

Looking at the WnW's instruction pics online I cobbled together the seat, floor and instrument panel.

I'm still experimenting with the Vallejo paints and they still haven't disappointed.
I scratched numbers on the dials and coated with Future, belts from yogurt cup lid.

The Lewis drums I pinched from an old SMER DHII worked perfect.
I again used the WnW directions and painted the interior sides of the fuselage.

All closed up, I can do some more detailing around the engine covers and panels. Probably more furnace tape.

I am so, so GLAD I got those rudder pedals in there......
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 04:19:20 AM by Allan31 »
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Offline Radarman

Re: Olde Monogram SE.5, 1/48......
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2022, 05:35:17 AM »
Great start Allan. Let the games begin!

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Online WD

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2022, 09:14:19 AM »
Allan, this is a great start. Looking a lot like Advanced Modeler's Syndrome to me though . . . just sayin'. ;)

WD

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2022, 09:48:00 AM »
Hi Allan - I love what you are doing with this kit. I too have a fondness for taking some of these older kits and breathing new life into them. By doing so, we realise that some of these kits still stand up today. Plus, there is a sense of accomplishment in tackling such a thing. Great stuff :)

Cheers,

BC

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2022, 10:47:43 AM »
Hey Allan, watch your classic builds over on Hyperscale. Glad you're here bringing some fun projects to the forum!! Great stuff

Steve

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2022, 11:56:16 AM »
Excellent work on that Old Classic! Nice additions to the very Basic Kit!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Monty

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2022, 03:27:53 AM »
What a great start, Allan! Lots of great corrections there! Looking forward to more! Regards, Marc.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2022, 07:27:27 AM »
Excellent work Allan, she's looking terrific already!

I built the old Monogram DVII on a lark as Stachel's aircraft in the book.
One of those things I've long wanted to build but hesitated due to the message on the wing  ;D
Zac in NZ

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2022, 09:41:33 PM »
Very nice work going on here, Allan.  Keep posting!

Offline DaveB

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2022, 01:37:36 AM »
Wonderful work on the old kit -

excellent scratch built cockpit!

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline Allan31

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2022, 10:55:46 AM »
Thanks all for your kind comments.
I haven't been ignoring, I left for a 4 week vacation all over the place and only just now returned.

The morning I left, I added some more furnace tape panels to the cowling. This is going to be the end of it as I have to really stop obsessing and get on with building and painting.

I could go on and on with the foil but hopefully, I can get a coat of primer on everything in the next couple of days.

Next hurtle will be all the struts, after that it should be well in hand....
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Offline Radarman

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2022, 12:19:43 PM »
Allan,
Don’t worry about obsessing on the details.
At least there isn’t a canopy to vacu-form on this one.
I look forward to your progress.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2022, 10:28:12 PM »
Foiled again!!  Looks great.

Steve

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2022, 12:50:50 AM »
    Great effort on this old classic Allan, and some lovely "scratched" additions. I really like your added detail on the upper wing tank and vents, a detail often poorly represented on the newer Kits. Looking forward to the final "reveal" and I encourage you to continue with the facelift, these were grand Kits in their day and bring back a lot of pleasant memories!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2022, 03:10:54 AM »
Thumbs up Allen , she is looking fantastic so far

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .