Author Topic: 1/28 drawings for Fokker Dr.I prop?  (Read 929 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
1/28 drawings for Fokker Dr.I prop?
« on: May 20, 2022, 05:39:30 PM »
Hi all,
I’ve got a Revell 1/28 Dr.I that really deserves a proper propeller and I’d like to try my hand at making one. The only thing is, I’ve no idea where to find a suitable drawing or template to use.

Can you help?

Bughunter

Re: 1/28 drawings for Fokker Dr.I prop?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 06:42:46 PM »
Zac, here are the plans
http://www.holzpropeller.de/index_english.htm

As not all links work here is the drawing alone, which I also used for my 1/8 AXIAL air screw.

Just print it out in the needed size. To help with interpretation of the lines I included tho photo page.

May be here are also useful pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/DIYAXIAL

Good luck and show your result please!
Frank

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 09:49:27 PM »
I typically use a kit prop of the correct type as a model, or look a photos and drawings and just shape it.  Drawings can help get the overall shape right, but the airfoil and angle on the blades is just guess work.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022, 07:50:57 AM »
Thank you very much, Frank!

I typically use a kit prop of the correct type as a model, or look a photos and drawings and just shape it.  Drawings can help get the overall shape right, but the airfoil and angle on the blades is just guess work.
You just reminded me I was recently gifted a Roden Triplane (thank you again - you know who you are!) so I'll see how I go using that as a pattern...

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2022, 02:21:15 AM »
Thanks for posting the drawing, Frank.
One can see there are 7 layers with the dark layer on top and bottom.

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2022, 04:06:16 AM »
the airfoil and angle on the blades is just guess work.

Probably not so important for our static models, but the angle on the blade is actually determined by the shape of the prop block.  :)
So if you have a plan and side view you will have enough to get accurate pitch or blade angle along the blade.(Done by shaping plan view first then side view and then carving diagonally from one edge to the opposite. Most blades have finer pitch towards the tip which is automatically incorporated by the taper on the block)
 If you have the wish you can use maths to alter the pitch distribution within the overall block dimensions by carving.
(Attached is a picture of yours truly flying a small vintage coupe model with a single bladed carved propeller at a comp which google have cropped nicely, but if you click on the image you can see the model and prop)  :-[

Cheers
Paul

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full