Author Topic: MiniArt 1/35 London Military Omnibus  (Read 2718 times)

Offline gedmundson

MiniArt 1/35 London Military Omnibus
« on: May 17, 2022, 11:11:17 AM »
My first MiniArt kit - a 1/35 London Omnibus from WW1 built to represent a vehicle used to transport troops near Ypres in 1915.
The figures are from Copper State Models.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
Re: MiniArt 1/35 London Military Omnibus
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 02:17:56 PM »
Oh wow, this is a great diorama again Gary!

Beautiful toned down colours and wheathering and very realistic figure painting.

What is your impression of this kit?

I know they have a very nice range of post WWII cars, tractors and lorries and although I have none of their kits, I'm always tempted by their boxart.

Willem

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 04:14:22 PM »
Beautiful!

Online macsporran

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 05:03:26 PM »
Another triumph!
Sandy

Offline FokkerFodder

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 06:11:19 PM »
Great work again! Simple yet effective setting and your figure painting skills are a treat! I think these miniart kits are great although they push it to the limit in fiddly details and part counts!  The Austin must be on your to do list Gary?

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 07:53:46 PM »
Lovely bit of work and has already been mentioned the subdued tones work really well. Love the little diorama with teh two figures which take it to another level

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Bughunter

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 02:56:28 AM »
Again a wonderful piece of art!

The best thing is that you have developed your own great style. When I clicked on the link on the page before, the browser showed me the end of the page, so when I scrolled back I saw the last image first - and it was immediately clear to me who built it.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2022, 03:36:27 AM »
You have managed in your Omnibus and in your other dioramas like the Holt Tractor, and the British Mk.1 Female Tank, so perfectly to make the green (if I may call it that) so lively.

As the majority of British aircraft were doped (almost completely in one or other nuance of PC10), I understand perfectly that many of the forumites choose for the more appealing colour schemes of for example the German and French aircraft.

What is your secret? Can you tell us something about how you get these subtle colour variations blend in to your builds? What techniques do you use?

Willem

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2022, 03:42:56 AM »
Oh wow, this is a great diorama again Gary!

Beautiful toned down colours and wheathering and very realistic figure painting.

What is your impression of this kit?

I know they have a very nice range of post WWII cars, tractors and lorries and although I have none of their kits, I'm always tempted by their boxart.

Willem

Thanks Willem! I found the parts to be very finely cast and delicate, and needed to be ultra-careful with thinks like the railings and connecting rods. The detail was superb. I recently bought the "London" civilian version of the kit I enjoyed building it so much.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2022, 03:46:59 AM »
Great work again! Simple yet effective setting and your figure painting skills are a treat! I think these miniart kits are great although they push it to the limit in fiddly details and part counts!  The Austin must be on your to do list Gary?

Thanks for that - I agree about the fiddly parts and struggled to not break anything whilst making the Omnibus. Some parts had broken in the packaging before hand and had to be repaired. I haven't checked out the Austin...too many other models to build just now!
Cheers,
Gary

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2022, 03:52:28 AM »
Again a wonderful piece of art!

The best thing is that you have developed your own great style. When I clicked on the link on the page before, the browser showed me the end of the page, so when I scrolled back I saw the last image first - and it was immediately clear to me who built it.

Cheers,
Frank

Thanks Frank. It's funny about your recognition of the distinctive "look" of my finished work, as my modelling buddies have said similar things. I'm sure it has nothing to do with my lighting & backdrops  ;) but I do use the same weathering touches to each project I work on which ends up giving a certain similarity to the overall appearance.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2022, 04:03:32 AM »
You have managed in your Omnibus and in your other dioramas like the Holt Tractor, and the British Mk.1 Female Tank, so perfectly to make the green (if I may call it that) so lively.

As the majority of British aircraft were doped (almost completely in one or other nuance of PC10), I understand perfectly that many of the forumites choose for the more appealing colour schemes of for example the German and French aircraft.

What is your secret? Can you tell us something about how you get these subtle colour variations blend in to your builds? What techniques do you use?

Willem

Willem - you ask a very good question about a "one-colour" scheme. I think if there is enough variation in the overall colour, you can lend a lot of interest to the subject. I certainly have no secret per say, as I've written up all of these builds (and a few others) in Model Military International magazine. But to summarize, I like to paint everything black to start with, then gradually build up the colour with the base shade, then add a greyish-dirt colour to add weathering...interest...variation (whatever you want to call it) and also add pin-washes of diluted oil paint to enhance shadow, add stains at several points during the long process. I can paint a model in a day, but it takes me two weeks to enhance detail and weather it. I also add artist's chalk pastel to give a weathered, dusty look to certain things. Then there's warn metal and small areas of chipped paint. At some point I'm happy with the look and call it done.

You mention the choice to add colour and decoration to an aircraft by choosing a vibrant scheme, but I find that bright, gawdy schemes like that (unless they are toned down and weathered) look too clown-like, and shy away from those choices.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2022, 11:00:22 PM »
Thanks for the recipe Gary!

There is a lot of single-colour surface to cover later on with my build and my fear from the start was that there is a danger the overall result may look dull and monotonous.

I will certainly do some experiments on some spare styrene and I would be happy with 1/10 of the results that you show in your builds.

Willem

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2022, 06:22:56 AM »
Magnificent work Gary, what a gorgeous piece!

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2022, 10:53:14 AM »
Beautiful work!!
Steve